Review of Northern Ontario

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Now found my lost notes!!

Says the Highway reaches Matheson every month for last 3 years.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Okay, I just got back from a week long trip to Toronto, and haven't been able to play RT3. Thanks for telling me about the Matheson event, and I'll try to fix all the problems as soon as I can. :)
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Well I checked all the problems you have mentioned, but I don't see anything wrong with any triggers or events. :roll: The Goods, Meat and Clothing are all in a single combined event and should show up together, the correct cargoes are in place (Its probably a bug in the patch in this case), the Group of seven event is not set to pop up in the ledger. However, I found that I had forgot to check the Matheson event as "One Time only, so at least I've solved 1 problem. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate if I could figure the other problems out and hopefully release a Final Edition in order to start work on writing "Baffania" :mrgreen:

Thanks as always 8)
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Wow, an entire week without a reply.... :shock:
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Sorry about that :) Haven't had time to play anything this last week or so. I'm organising a Walking Festival and we're coming into the last month before it - and it's been raining every day in sunny Lancashire for the last 2 months - so with the sun out at last there's a hundred things to be done to get everything finalised. Anyway if anyones this way end of August beginning September come and join us :lol: 8) 8) (That means shades will be needed!)
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

I am sorry that I haven't had time to play this all the way through yet. But I will as soon as I get this senario I'm working on done. So far I have found it enjoyable but haven't gotten for enough into it yet to render a good comment on it.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

No problem, just a bit of forum humour :wink:

Anyway, I hope I'll get some time to get Baffania started so that I can put it out by the end of the summer. :D
milo
Engineer

Unread post

If someone installed a certain experiment, that could explain why all of the cargos shifted a slot... sorry about that. :oops:
Orange46
Dispatcher

Unread post

Now that I have reread all of the comments, I'm not sure what version I just finished. It's probably the latest as I had to connect to Churchill, all of my loads to there were counted correctly (and showed up in my ledger after I edited the ledger to remove extraneous blank lines so as to allow all 3 cargoes to show up), I needed a suspension bridge to connect to the Michigan goods port, and it took me until sometime in the '20's to complete my shipments to Churchill, although the other goals were met many years earlier.

Thanks for a fun scenario. Mine was made better (perhaps you intended this) because I only had one sheep ranch until after 1920, but by that time my one bleating sheep was able to produce enough wool to supply those freezing Churchillians with their woolen underwear. Of course, the rest of Canada and the U.S. got nothing - actually, they got Churchill's hand-me-downs! (including rotten meat and rejected goods). Having only one ranch forced me to plan ahead and the thought of my clothing or wool train crashing, forced me to actually put cabooses on my trains and shorten them. Did I miss an event that said someone wasn't spiking the tracks properly? We're having that problem in Chicago with trains being derailed due to either sloppy work or sabatage.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Thanks Orange, good to see that you enjoyed it. :D
Also glad to see that you figured out how to fix the ledger. Perhaps I should do that and send a final version to Hawk. :roll:
I don't think I seeded the regions to have that little commerce, but hey, if it creates a challenge, I'm game.
No, I don't think you're missing an event about track spikes. Maybe I should check again...

Thanks again!
Orange46
Dispatcher

Unread post

When I checked the editor, I found a temp file to remove a 25% increase in breakdowns that expired in 1911; however, my breakdown probabilities were much higher than +25% - running as high as an over 200% chance of breakdown. Needless to say, until 1911, trains were crashing like crazy until I caboosed all and cut down lengths to 5 cars. I didn't see what triggered the temp file, but I didn't look too hard, either. I think I first noticed it in 1908 but not before experiencing a number of crashes.
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

Orange46 wrote:When I checked the editor, I found a temp file to remove a 25% increase in breakdowns that expired in 1911; however, my breakdown probabilities were much higher than +25% - running as high as an over 200% chance of breakdown. Needless to say, until 1911, trains were crashing like crazy until I caboosed all and cut down lengths to 5 cars. I didn't see what triggered the temp file, but I didn't look too hard, either. I think I first noticed it in 1908 but not before experiencing a number of crashes.
It is not a 25% increase it is a 25 levels increase. (Unless I am remembering it wrong).
Orange46
Dispatcher

Unread post

Wow. Now I understand those huge % breakdowns.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Okay, thanks, I didn't know it was a 25 level increase. Jeez, they sure made this map editor confusing... :roll:

I guess I'll go back and fix this.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Okay, I've fixed the mistakes that you've reported, and I'll be sending a V5 to Hawk tonight. Hopefully there won't be any other problems. :roll:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Version 5 is now available.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Played the revised version and could find no flaws. Proved to be rather easy - got Gold on Expert 9 years early and could have beaten that if I'd remembered that CBV was a target :) :P :)
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

::!**!
CeeBee
Brakeman

Re: Review of Northern Ontario Unread post

Played this map for the first time today and its great. I would have had gold but something weird was going on with my meat packing plants and I could not get any meat to ship to Churchill.... Guess they will have to eat whales and seals this winter.
On the meat front once I connected to Churchill I started shipping meat and clothing from Duluth where I owned a textile mill and a meat plant. I connected to 3 cattle ranches in Minnesota so the livestock was getting to Duluth real good. Only problem was no meat was being produced. I build a second meat plant but that did nothing either. I checked every meat plant on the map(around 10) and every one was losing money and showed no loads in or out for the last years recorded but almost every one did show a huge lifetime profit. !hairpull! I couldn't find any meat related events in the editor so maybe I just had a meat plant strike and didn't know about it :roll:
OilCan
Engineer

Re: Review of Northern Ontario Unread post

Played this game for the first time last week. Although it was relatively easy to gain Gold, I greatly enjoyed this game. It took some initial strategical planning (which I enjoyed) to set up a working scheme for the map. I enjoyed the flat terrain. There are times I like to skillfully build track in mountains and times I like to just lay straight, flat track - this game met the second need. I enjoyed the 'reasonable' industry settings which rewarded my careful investments. I enjoyed the haul requirements which by themselves required some strategy in developing the industries to supply the cargo. This is a great game to relax into RT3 with.