European Tycoon II - beta

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: European Tycoon II - beta Unread post

Well Oilcan,

Although I did get the Gold on the 2nd try, as well as with 11 AIs, I really am not that great at being a great Tycoon. And as Bel mentioned his opinion, I do believe that the III version will be considerably harder to play, let alone win a Gold. BUT, like him, I like the aspects of the addition or changes to be made. I am very anxious to see what those creatons will curtail.

Another of Bel's comments was that of your suggestion to spread out some of the cities. There was some difficulty when playing the 11 AIs. A real congestion to pinpoint the ciites to be connected, considering not only the cities but the inducations of water/sand

An answer to Bel's comment on my hauling of clothing. No it is not a requirement. I was just making a comment of the consist being hauled from Paris-Rome for $175k, and the 8clothing being hauled from Rome-Naples, a considerable less distance, for $350k, which is double the Paris-Rome revenue, and what 10-15 times a difference in distance. And although the game is played on a "demand" basis, the consist from Paris included pass revenue. Just seemed odd to me.

I also have some question as to the way I used the stock market at the end. Never had an adequate amount of money to get involved with a stock market investment, and am going to put the questions to Hawk in a separate e-mail. THEN when more understood will try to explain it for other players who have the same question.

The new version scenario will be an advanced version for better Tycoons, but the present version is of such, that it can stand on its own merits. Not that many problems in its present creation. Plus, as I know it is in reality, but don't like to see it happen, there were less than 6 train crashes. Believe only 1 Depression, which was at a crucial part of the game, and at the end, which really "pulls the rug out from under a player", considering that we are expecting to bolster our PNV at that time.

Just plain fun to all the creators. :salute: {,0,} !$th_u$!
OilCan
Engineer

Thanks greatly for the feedback about the game. Based on what you have said (and what I learned when I tested the game), I will scatter out the cities more on the map, leave the reward system alone for connecting capitals as well the rewards for connected 5,10,15,etc.. cities. But I will add two more options for making personal or company money (which will make the game somewhat easier - maybe?) and balance that with a few bad winters and droughts. This should make the game more interesting.

The economic cycle - recession/boom - is set by the game code. There has not been any events added to the game to change it. I will have to leave it that way because I'm not that well versed in how to set up an event chain to counter the game's code for the economic cycle.
OilCan
Engineer

Ray of Sunshine wrote: I also have some question as to the way I used the stock market at the end. Never had an adequate amount of money to get involved with a stock market investment, and am going to put the questions to Hawk in a separate e-mail. THEN when more understood will try to explain it for other players who have the same question.
Hawk can offer some good help, but don't hesitate to throw the questions out to the whole forum. There's never a dumb question or a wrong question or a poor question in this forum. And I've found out that there are ususally a lot of people who have the same unasked questions.
belbincolne
Engineer

Just three things

1. I think you could toughen the scenario up a bit - once you've got the hang of it its not too hard - one way to make it just a bit harder would be to ban AIs.

2. Recessions always came in some 8? years before finish and on last play was coming out of it with 3 years to go - last year was Normal. I think they're programmed to be semi-random so there should be some variation

3. Stock market was absolutely straightforward - all I did was buy up all my stock as fast as possible - going into debt at first. Then pay large dividends and on every opportunity buy up AIs (could only afford to get into two so thats probably the best number to add) not with the idea of taking over because your company will never have the money for that but to sell at the end to give you cash. I had very little personal cash until the four $5m connection offers arose.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I played this scenario the other day and I did basically what Belbi said, but I didn't play with any AI's the first play.
I bought all my stock as soon as I could and upped the dividend pay out to as much as I could. Then once I had connected all 50 cities, I had about $40 mil in PC so I sold off all my stock until I reached the $50 mil mark, at which time I got Gold.

As for the stock market strategies, that's one of my weak points in this game.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

The final verison of European Tycoon II is ready. I will play it through one more time this week-end as a final check then send it to Hawk to post in his map library.
Many thanks for everyone's comments on the beta version. It remains as a moderate to easy game to make the Gold. I learned a number of new things about setting up events for games. In trying to even out and tone down the resources per region which were already on the map, it spawned an idea for a totally different kind of Europe-wide game -- which I hope to create this spring.
belbincolne
Engineer

Looking forward to both!
OilCan
Engineer

The final version of European Tycoon II has been sent to Hawk for him to post in the map archive. Enjoy.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Hawk
Frank
Hobo

I get an error when I try to start this map. Some building information cannot be found in the database. Anyone else with this problem?

Yes, I have installed the 1.05, 1.06 and CoastToCoast-Patches and I have no problems playing other maps.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

What building is missing?
Hawk
Frank
Hobo

When I try to load this map, RRT3 crashes with the message: Database: Building Type "ConstructionFirm" not found. (translated from german)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If I'm not mistaken, the construction firm should have been installed with the 1.06 patch - but don't hold me to this. I might be wrong, as I am more times than not. ^**lylgh

Better wait for someone else to pop in and comment. ;-)
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

Replayed this on Expert and got gold 5 years early without even having to sell off stock (could probably have got it perhaps 5 years earlier if I'd sold off stock as soon as I got all the other requirements - which would have meant missing some of the problems that have been included at about year 20). Still therefor a really easy scenario. :-D
OilCan
Engineer

Frank wrote:When I try to load this map, RRT3 crashes with the message: Database: Building Type "ConstructionFirm" not found. (translated from german)
Maybe a fresh download of the map might help. Otherwise, I don't know why it crashes with that error message.

And, Belbincolne, yes it is somewhat of an easy game to achieve gold, but that's OK. It should be easier for you since you played the beta version. I think it is a good game to learn how to take over AIs and how to work the stock market. It is an especially good game to become a stinking rich tycoon! Thanks for the comments.
Frank
Hobo

OilCan wrote:Maybe a fresh download of the map might help. Otherwise, I don't know why it crashes with that error message.
I downloaded the map two times, it crashed the same way, should be enough. Im going to reinstall RRT3 with all patches. (and also try Trainmaster)
Thank you, Frank
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Before you start installing all the patches, let me make a suggestion.

Install the game from scratch, then patch it up to and including the 1.05 patch (don't forget the Coast to Coast Expansion ;-) ).

Before you install the 1.06 patch, create a new folder on your hard drive somewhere outside of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder and name it something like RT3 106.
Copy the entire contents of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder into the new RT3 106 folder. Then patch that to 1.06.

For Trainmaster, do the same thing. Copy the 1.05 contents into a new folder named something like RT3 TM. Then install TM into that.

Once you have the two new installs done, open the main folders for each of them and right click on the RT3.exe and send it to desktop (create shortcut) for both of them (the 1.05 install should have already placed an icon on your desktop).

I hope I explained this in an understandable manor. :mrgreen:

Some of the maps created for 1.05 work better in the 1.05 install than they do in the 1.06 install, and Trainmaster definitely needs it's own installation.
Hawk
Frank
Hobo

Thanx Hawk,

I did it. I have 3 RT3 versions installed now and all probelms are solved. I could start the European Tycoon - Map in V1.06 and the TM-Persian ... - Map in Trainmaster.

Lots of new stuff to discover! ::!**!

Frank
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Glad it worked for you. :salute:
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:Before you start installing all the patches, let me make a suggestion.

Install the game from scratch, then patch it up to and including the 1.05 patch (don't forget the Coast to Coast Expansion ;-) ).

Before you install the 1.06 patch, create a new folder on your hard drive somewhere outside of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder and name it something like RT3 106.
Copy the entire contents of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder into the new RT3 106 folder. Then patch that to 1.06.

For Trainmaster, do the same thing. Copy the 1.05 contents into a new folder named something like RT3 TM. Then install TM into that.

Once you have the two new installs done, open the main folders for each of them and right click on the RT3.exe and send it to desktop (create shortcut) for both of them (the 1.05 install should have already placed an icon on your desktop).
Hawk, this is a good set of instructions for everyone. I can't remember what the read_me file says for the 1.06 patch, but these instructions should be part of it. You might want to add them to your 1.06 Patch sticky note as well.