Ankh-Morpork

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
brunom
Dispatcher

Ankh-Morpork Unread post

Well, this one time I am starting a thread to review someone else's map and not to publish some beta (I'll get to that after this).

First things first, welcome back Lama, even though I wasn't around when you first "went away to buy a pack of cigs and didn't return" :lol:
I really enjoyed this map. I downloaded it and at first look it didn't seem inviting. Lately I created a stream of "Other Lands" maps and invested a lot of time in realistic landscaping - so yours looked a little awkward. Still, I had decided to play it at some point and I eventually did (just finished now). After laying track around, however, I admit my first impression was harsh - apart a rounded coast and some spots where rivers flow up a hill, it is perfectly realistic and it looks really nice when you lock the camera in a train and follow a trip.

Resources wise it seemed a little scarce at start, but it's not, actually, since growth is set at a good rate. It was easy to be profitable and to find good industry opportunities.

It has different strategies possible and I will definitely replay it using a different angle. Since I got only bronze, miserably, I definitely owe it to myself as I was doing so so well... :-? Anyway, I know I enjoy reading tales of other people's games, so I'll post mine here too.

At start I had a look around trying to decide if it was better to have an industry start or a track start. Since there wasn't any obvious concentration of raw materials in the available regions and the main station for my company was already laid, I went for trains instead of industry. There was also some track laid, which I used, and which led me to believe that it was a "connected track only" scenario - only 20 years later I realized it wasn't. So, with the available funds and initial profits, I built a "J" like line, connecting the closer cities north of Ankh.

After this, I bought profitable farms and a distillery at half price because it popped up (it ended up being the single alcohol producer around and a great cash source). The game was going so well that I noticed all the other AI companies were easy targets. In year 5 I bought Quirm Northern, which had connected Quirm and Pseudopolis and linked it to my network. To do this I maxed out my bonds and then took about 2 years to repay the expensive ones.

Then crampton and dx-goods came along. While I was busy paying my debt I also updated the network with double line in some places, spiked maintenance for all trains, dedicated express trains, long haul cargo trains and hotels in Quirm and Ankh. Once it was all done I went for Lancre (can't recall name of co.). Did the same, bought it out, connected to my network (at Quirm) and upgraded service. I also spent some money in industry in Greater Lancre - there was lot of cattle and wool untouched, so I built the factories, bought the farms and organized the service with it.

Money was abundant by then, but time wasn't. I was very proud of having an excellent company (well above the target for Company value, for passengers delivered to Quirm and Lancre and for avg express speed) but worried looking at how far Bad Shoe Shine :lol: was... Building the track up to Uberwald was easy, buying the Uberwaldbahn not so (I acquired around 51% of the company stock, but it was so profitable it was going to be costly to merge so I just left it untouched). This was with about 10 years to go - I still hadn't hauled even 200 passengers out of Ankh-Morpork or a single weapon to the north. Looking back, I know that I left it to too late to focus on the game goals.

For the passengers, I expanded the network in the Ankh-Morpork area, linking every town, built hotels in all stations and set up a lot of express trains (Stirling are just perfect for those 3-cars-express). I wondered if the 400 was a mis-type, but once I did all this, the count just started going up nice and steady, so it definitely isn't.

For the weapons I messed up. I had an upgraded steel mill in St. Nitz outputing steel, which I decided to haul to Ankh-Morpork and built a weapons factory there, since lumber was available from warehouses. However, this is "across the map" to Uberwald and the distances were too big. So, after one year or so, I just sold that factory and built another one closer, in Skund. I also bought a bunch of logging camps, built a lumber mill and a direct track for the steel to get to Skund. This seemed like a perfect plan and I had still enough years to make the 20 hauls of weapons. Money was so easy I upgraded everything right from build time.
It didn't work. I couldn't figure out why at start, but the weapons plant wasn't using the resources and making weapons -every year its production was no more than 1.0, 1.1 ... The last five years were passed in this agony. Other than replacing broken engines, all my money was used to delete and build industries around, making sure steel and lumber demand didn't take the resources out of Skund (originally, they did), but it wasn't that.... With a couple of years, it hit me! :roll: : Weapons price in Skund was still 0, the factory wasn't making any profit and that makes it downsize production!! DUH! I even explained this to Wolverine the other day, concerning the bauxite warehouses in my Tazara scenario..

So, I failed miserably and next time I will probably expand NE first, into Discworld, and other afterwards to Quirm and north! End of story. I also didn't meet the 400 passengers by a thread, but after the medal I left the game running and that was a matter of one more year. The weapons though, got me winded enough for a second try one of these days.

Thanks for the very nice scenario. Here's a screen grab of my results:
ankmorpok.jpg
EDIT: corrected the spelling mistake - it's Ankh-Morpork, not Ankh-Morpok (as I originally wrote)
Last edited by brunom on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sugus
Engineer

Re: Ankh-Morpok Unread post

Hawk - not a great story - but could you, please, correct the name of the thread?

Lama's scenario is spelled as "Ankh-Morpork", not "Ankh-Morpok" ...
... maybe, in 2017 or so, I'll going to create a map named "Ankh-Morpok", and exactly that will be the monent, when we reach great, great problems (0!!0) ^**lylgh
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Ankh-Morpork Unread post

Done!
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

:-D

I didn't realize it was "More Pork"... makes a good joke in itself. I went and edited the post as well.

It's corrected now, no harm intended Sugus ;-)

B
RayofSunshine
CEO

I don't know about the problem of beng "more pork" , but neither myself of the city locator can find Uberwald. Might be my eyesight, as Bronum shows 9/20 hauls to it. **!!!** *!*!*!
brunom
Dispatcher

:-)

Uberwald is a territory, not a city.

B
thietavu
Conductor

A great idea! I love Pratchett's works. :)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Lama
Brakeman

Thanks for playing, and thanks for starting this thread, Bruno! I've downloaded many of your maps since getting back, but I have not yet had a chance to play any. But when I do, I will make sure to give you such detailed, useful feedback, as well.

I looked at the map again, and the rivers do look ghastly in places. I seem to have skipped that step of development. A version 2 will be needed.

As to the Pratchett reference, I figured a few people here would know him. Railroads - Fantasy. Both attract nerds. :-)
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks Brunom,
For the note of Uberwald as a Territory. While waiting for an answer, I gave it a thought as I was trying to attain "territories" in the Isola Nova scenario.
But it is only one of the difficulties to haul steel to it. I find that not many passengers want to leave Ankh-MorPork, or any passengers want to go to Lancre. I get stailmated to even use the "custom" feature.
However, the challenges are great. The terrain is not too difficult. And there is a lot of enjoyment to just trying and get the goals. :salute: !*th_up*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

A great scenario. Only managed to get the BZ, as I fell short of the 400 from Ankh-Morpork. Otherwise all the other requirements were fulfilled. Didn't have a chance in the time frame for the weapons to Uberwald. Even though I had sent the weapons to Ber, I still would not have had enough time to make the 40 for the Gold. Probably not even for the Silver.
I did switch from the Firefly to the Sterlling as soon as it became available, as I was only breaking even with a 20/20 speed goal. And even tried to boost the speed, by cutting the consists from 8 to 5 on a number of trains.
Although slower, I did use the Consolidation for the mountains for the coal. With a consisst of 5, I also used them for the Lance/Ber route.
Overall, I enjoyed the scenario on this 3rd attempt, and was able to get an adequate amount of pass to the Grand Lancre territory, which did not happen in the other attempts. :salute: !*th_up*!
low_grade
Dispatcher

Gave this one a try yesterday. After an Expert attempt at a rail start went nowhere, and a subsequent attempt with a Lumber Mill start down by Flont failed to gain traction, I did something I rarely do, I backed down to Medium for a third stab at at. After reading comments here, I guessed that getting weapons going would be the main challenge, and reaching to Uberwald would be an early priority.

So, this time a Lumber Mill north of Skund at the border, then a Paper Mill, then buy logging camps, then buy into The Discworld to buy some more logging camps. Also built a distillery a bit east of Ankh-Morpork in the middle of some $210k orchards and buy those. Upgrading all industries, and even building a second Lumber Mill and Paper Mill north of Skund.

Simultaneously, start rail, with maintenance spurs and all double track. Express speed holding at 20mph on dedicated priority trains. I was able to buy up all the AI, though I got greedy buying into my own company and ended the game a pauper, $5M in debt without a share to my name, lol! About 15 years in I built a Steel Mill and Weapons Factory next to each other just a bit southeast of Lowcastle. One thing to watch for is that there's a warehouse demanding weapons in the initial seed in Uberwald, it seems that over half the seeds didn't have one. By this time I was rolling in cash, mainly from all the $400k+ hauls out of my rural lumber town hauling directly to Ankh-Morpork and then to my Steel/Weapons operation. I was a bit worried about meeting the 400 pax goal, but that came together with over a year to spare.

Towards the end I was doing just single lines across the great distances, with in-line service and maintenance, relying on Cramptons then Stirlings for speed, which plateaued at 25mph. Only a few years seem to be required to get the 40 pax goals once those AI's are bought, and a properly set up production chain seems to make weapons easy. So, overall, I think another attempt at expert could be successful. I just hate having to rely on a good initial seed, but that seems to make all the difference here.
Attachments
ankh-morpork.jpg