Reconstruction

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Reconstruction Unread post

EPH wrote:Wolverine@MSU - I even extended the size of the Cairo territory to try to prevent that. :oops: Good suggestion about painting the map; I'll take a look at that. Take a look at the *To East Coast zone too - you need a central station there also.

I could change it from a 'mapped-to' territory to a purchase-access zone, setting the price at $1 or so, but I think that would mess up the connection challenge. So... painting is probably the way to go.
You could also just leave it/them as a separate territory with no purchase price (you can't build to it until you get access to the surrounding territory, except maybe Cairo) and have the territory lines show up on the map.
RulerofRails
CEO

Wolverine@MSU wrote:You could also just leave it/them as a separate territory with no purchase price (you can't build to it until you get access to the surrounding territory, except maybe Cairo) and have the territory lines show up on the map.
Don't want to put the idea down, but I wouldn't like to see a player be able to build an industry there early on. I also never had a problem in all my play tests with the size of the territories. I guess I must hit the central sweet spot without trying. Painting sounds like a good idea to me.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right. Seems like painting is the way to go.
RayofSunshine
CEO

An interesting creation of imagination. I did run into "something", which had never happened in previous scenarios, of which may have been the situation, but "something" which was/is new to my playing.

I 1st noticed that, in the managing of consist, that there was only 7 items being listed for haul, so, at the same time that the 8th item was included, I was clicking on the addition for the "diner". The diner did appear, along with the 8 hauls.
Then I attempted the same "system" after 8 items were loaded, by adding the diner. This time I watched the "revenue bar", and I was credited with the additional revenue to that diner.
NOW, is that something out of the ordinary, or has that been part of the programming, of which I was not aware?
**!!!** *!*!*! :salute: {,0,}
Blackhawk
CEO

I haven't ever done that using the diner car, but I know with the caboose if you let the train fill up with 8 carloads and then before it leaves the station click on caboose you'll get 8 cars + the caboose. This glitch/exploit occurs on all the maps, not just this one, usually though it's too much work to use very often.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

So I played this one again, choosing the "connect 12 territories option" and completed the task and other conditions for Gold, but didn't get it. In the Gold conditions met event, it has Company Variable 2 > 45, but mine was stuck at 40. As best as I can tell, CV2 gets incremented with Steel/Oil/Pax hauling, but not for territory connections. The way I played it was to get access in 3 states, build out lines and industries to where I was making ~$10M/yr, and after choosing the connect territories option, saving up my profits for several years until I could buy access to all the territories needed at once (8 @ $4M + 1 @ $6M = $32M). Built track into those territories in the following year or so, connected New Orleans and To East Coast, and BAM!, had conditions met, but no medal **!!!** .

I didn't see it in the archive yet, and I'm pretty sure I played the latest version.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote: I didn't see it in the archive yet, and I'm pretty sure I played the latest version.
It won't be placed in the archives until I find a place to live and get my computer back. Who knows when that will be.
The latest version is in the first post in this thread. That's where Porter updates the zip as he updates the map.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Wolverine@MSU wrote:... it has Company Variable 2 > 45, but mine was stuck at 40. As best as I can tell, CV2 gets incremented with Steel/Oil/Pax hauling, but not for territory connections.
Sorry, in looking again, I see it's Game Variable 2, not Company Variable 2 that seems to be the sticking point. :oops:

I was actially playing the penultimate version, but it looks like the events that control the Gold are the same in the newest version. I'll try that one from scratch as soon as I can.
EPH
Dispatcher

I'll take a look at it - I have no doubt you are right. RT3 doesn't have a lot of variables, so I like to make them serve for a lot of different things by controlling the range of values. Usually I keep great notes and specify what everything does... but not this time. The scenario went together rapidly and then, when changes and additions happened, I may have lost... um... track.

As I say I will take a look at it. Thank you for letting me know!
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
EPH
Dispatcher

The issue was the wrong variable got updated; should have been GV2 and I used CV2. Oooops!

Thanks Wolverine -

The revised version is zipped up and located on the first post of this thread.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Hawk
The Big Dawg

We'll, I'm finally back on my computer. !**yaaa
Is the file in the first post the final version, ready for the archives?
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Glad you're back on board Hawk. ::!**!

I played the map that's currently posted and was able to get gold on all the different specialty tasks, so the events part is worked out. I'm hoping that he'll update the map painting to make it easy to see the limits of the small territories (mainly Birmingham and Cairo) where you need to plop down the station to be within the territory limits.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This map has been added to the archives.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... nstruction
Hawk
Shamough
Conductor

I'm playing Reconstruction ATM and the Warehouse in * To East Coast has NO demand for Steel and I selected the Steel Challenge as I own the Steel Mill at Birmingham and the Iron and Coal mines. So here I am running full trains to * To East Coast and not getting a red cent. I went into the EDITOR and removed the BOOZE and replaced it with a HIGH demand for Steel. A new Warehouse needs to be made with a Steel demand and placed in * To East Coast.

I was making MORE taking the Steel back to Birmingham ... until I changed the consists to just carry EXPRESS cargos from * To East Coast.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! The change didn't translate into the existing Warehouse. I had to creat a new Warehouse and drop it in the EDITOR. The Steeeel Pitt has a demand for 25 Steel before upgrade.

Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
EPH
Dispatcher

All I can say is I've never had any problem shipping steel. Usually I build a tool-and-die as soon as I buy access to Virginia to spark demand, or the city builds one, and that's enough. Add a warehouse if you prefer.

I hope you enjoyed the scenario otherwise; there's a good bit of replay value with a lot depending on the initial seeding.