Rail Baron East

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
belbincolne
Engineer

Re: Red Baron East Unread post

Very true I could have got Gold on Normal in 2003 and have to admit I can't bring myself to retry on Expert - too many other new scenarios to have a go at.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Re: Rail Baron East Unread post

So been playing this and while fun it really is a long slog of a map. Mainly it needs something to break the cycle of "lay track, buy trains and wait for profit". I've been thinking about taking a page out of Shamough's playbook and making an version with new events so long as Orange46 doesn't mind. The new events would mainly be historical stuff to give you something to read while playing and they'll mainly be cosmetic. However a few would effect the game like a depression event that fires in October of 1929 and stuff like that.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Richard (Orange46) has his forum preferences set so he'd get an email if someone sends him a PM. I'm pretty sure his email address is current.
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:Richard (Orange46) has his forum preferences set so he'd get an email if someone sends him a PM. I'm pretty sure his email address is current.
Thanks Hawk. I'll PM him at once.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Woo! I got the permission and shall begin work at once.
Cliff
Watchman

I cannot get this map, nor "Alaskan Adventure" to show up in the main menu when I am choosing a new scenario. I thought it might be that the "Campaign" box was checked, but when I tried to open either of them in the Editor, they didn't show up as maps to be loaded.

I've checked my "maps" folder in the RRT3 folder, and they are there. I even moved many of the old maps to a different folder -- thinking maybe the maps folder was just too full for all maps to be seen in the main menu scenario selections -- but that made no difference. I have added several maps to the map folder since trying these two, and have had no problems (except that I totally suck at trying to complete a couple of rather challenging scenarios).

Suggestions?
RulerofRails
CEO

Cliff, you are doing better than me, I couldn't even find a map called "Red Baron East" in the archives. :lol: Somehow, lots of the posts (except the title at the start and the top of each page, and the most recent ones) display this erroneous title as a header. I believe the correct title is "Rail Baron East."

The most likely reason that you can't see a particular map is that it is a 1.06 map. "Alaskan Adventure" is a map for 1.06. Could it be that you downloaded "Red River Valley" (also a 1.06 map) seeing that the names are confusing?
Cliff
Watchman

Ahah! That's probably it. Many/most of the 1.06 maps are so marked in the Archives, so I know I can't play them and don't bother with downloads. I guess these two weren't marked. Unfortunately, I have an old Vista rig and 1.06 supposedly won't work with Vista; besides that, I gave my boxed RRT3 game to the Disabled Vets a few years back, and am only playing now 'cause Steam had RRT2 & RRT3 & Sid Myer's (sucky) "Railroads" on sale in a bundle for only $15.00. But I understand from what Hawk and other experts have posted in the forum that the 1.06 patch just won't work with the Steam version of RRT3.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yep! You're right. Both do require the 1.06 patch. I have corrected the website.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. (0!!0)
Hawk
Shamough
Conductor

Cliff wrote:Many/most of the 1.06 maps are so marked in the Archives, so I know I can't play them and don't bother with downloads. I guess these two weren't marked. Unfortunately, I have an old Vista rig and 1.06 supposedly won't work with Vista
There's a VIST/Win 7 patch on HAWK's site. ... grab it and upgrade. Or at least try. Good luck.

Shamough/Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Shamough wrote:
Cliff wrote:Many/most of the 1.06 maps are so marked in the Archives, so I know I can't play them and don't bother with downloads. I guess these two weren't marked. Unfortunately, I have an old Vista rig and 1.06 supposedly won't work with Vista
There's a VIST/Win 7 patch on HAWK's site. ... grab it and upgrade. Or at least try. Good luck.

Shamough/Hans
Patch doesn't work on Steam sadly which is the version he has.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Can't you copy the whole RT3 folder from within the Steam folder and create a new RT3 install, as suggested in the thread about multiple installs, then apply the patch to it?
Hawk
Bcbuhler
Hobo

When I installed 1.06 to my steam version of 1.05 it said that I needed a CD to run it so I had to find a no Cd hacked version of the EXE an then I could patch to 1.06 if you can wait until February I can get to my computer and help you with getting 1.06. I am Leaving for Africa on Tuesday for 2 months so I won't be able to help till I get home
RulerofRails
CEO

Bcbuhler confirmed what I suspected. You need a different version of exe file. Try this post for the link to a patchable version of 1.05. Put this file in the second install that Hawk suggested, patch to 1.06, and it should work.

BTW, Bcbuhler, hope you enjoy Africa!
Cliff
Watchman

Shamough wrote:

Shamough/Hans
Yeah, I had to use the Vista Patch right at the get-go in order to get RRT3 to load at all. That being fixed, now I can enjoy all the pre-patch-1.06 maps that I want -- 'til I get tired of playing. So I'm just not gonna jump through all the hoops that have been posted here about how to work-around to get 1.06 installed.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Rail Baron East with Events. Unread post

First version of the map is up. Changed the building density and upped the growth to 2.5% and added the Presidential Elections up to 1900. They should all fire as newspapers in December of every election year. They're just eye candy as they don't effect gameplay. I'll start adding events in the 1800's that'll effect gameplay after I get confirmation the newspapers fire correctly.
Attachments
Rail Baron East V2 1.zip
Version 2.1
(4.82 MiB) Downloaded 245 times
RulerofRails
CEO

All 3 downloads were by me. The first two downloads were unsuccessful. Played about halfway through the map. I found it quite easy. To get the Baltimore and Ohio off the ground in the second year I did an additional connection to Philadelphia. This started off a good passenger supply and brought money in. Since unconnected track is allowed I then started from Chicago heading east. With each of the next companies I was using an early connection into the nearest railway to give me that early cargo and passenger supply that ensures high profits. This gave me access to bonds and made that company fly. I was finished with each of the companies so far in 5 years or less. I dozed the connecting track just before I left that company to prevent the AI from going mad with it. Obviously the higher growth makes it easier.

The newspapers aren't quite working correctly. They appear at the right time, but they repeat every year after that. They need the "=" sign instead of "the greater than or equal to" (don't know how to do that sign). In best practice a GameMonth trigger should be set to trigger at a monthly frequency (end or beginning of the month). But because they are set for the last month of the year they are working at year end as they are now. It is also good practice to set an event like this that is only supposed to fire once with "One Time Only" box checked. (This would have also prevented the repetition, but it's better to fix the language.)
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote:All 3 downloads were by me. The first two downloads were unsuccessful. Played about halfway through the map. I found it quite easy. To get the Baltimore and Ohio off the ground in the second year I did an additional connection to Philadelphia. This started off a good passenger supply and brought money in. Since unconnected track is allowed I then started from Chicago heading east. With each of the next companies I was using an early connection into the nearest railway to give me that early cargo and passenger supply that ensures high profits. This gave me access to bonds and made that company fly. I was finished with each of the companies so far in 5 years or less. I dozed the connecting track just before I left that company to prevent the AI from going mad with it. Obviously the higher growth makes it easier.

The newspapers aren't quite working correctly. They appear at the right time, but they repeat every year after that. They need the "=" sign instead of "the greater than or equal to" (don't know how to do that sign). In best practice a GameMonth trigger should be set to trigger at a monthly frequency (end or beginning of the month). But because they are set for the last month of the year they are working at year end as they are now. It is also good practice to set an event like this that is only supposed to fire once with "One Time Only" box checked. (This would have also prevented the repetition, but it's better to fix the language.)
Thanks for the tips about the papers. I'll go on and fix that while lowering growth a bit. I was worried it'd make it too easy and you seem to have confirmed that. Also quick tip about what I have planned for the next version. Don't connect to Atlanta until after the civil war ends.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote: "the greater than or equal to" (don't know how to do that sign).
< is Shift+, (coma)
> is Shift+. (period)
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Thanks Hawk. Combining those with underline gets pretty close ">".