Egypt - 1855

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Sauerteig
Hobo

Re: Egypt - 1855 Unread post

Playing this now. Wondering if alcohol should be taken off the board. It was not banned until recently. Indeed, alcohol has existed there since Ancient Egyptian civilization.
OilCan
Engineer

Sauerteig wrote:Playing this now. Wondering if alcohol should be taken off the board. It was not banned until recently. Indeed, alcohol has existed there since Ancient Egyptian civilization.
You are probably right. I'm not going to pretend that I'm any type of expert in Egyptian history, but I do know how to use Google. :-D
The reason that I added the alcohol restriction was due to the predominant Muslim influence in Egypt since the 600s (thanks Google). AND, I wanted to add a challenge to the player by removing a typically strong money maker from the game.

:?: I would be interested in knowing that there was a robust and open market for alcohol in the late 1800s in Egypt.
Sauerteig
Hobo

Fair enough.
Just finished this scenraio. Won gold second time around on Expert. First time was bronze, but that was only because the book value was under 75m, as I met all other requirements for silver.
Anyway, really great map. Would love to see what others you have done.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Sauerteig wrote:Would love to see what others you have done.
Here's a list.
OilCan.jpg
OilCan.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 11204 times
Hawk
Sauerteig
Hobo

Thanks for the list. I will be playing most of these.
OilCan
Engineer

Two of the maps on that list are not mine - I merely translated them into English. I did not make any changes to the game map nor the game events (except the text language). These two are:
German Southwest Africa - this is Lama's map
Thirst of the Irish - I forget who made this map

I began to translate European Tycoon and found the game had some major errors. I finished the translations, corrected the game, added some new elements and submitted it as European Tycoon II. So, I won't claim full credit for this game either.

Italian Toymakers was my first attempt at an original map. My style has greatly changed since this map. I have been tempted to ask Hawk to pull Italian Toymakers from the map archive, and may yet.

I began making my own maps to fit my own desired style of play. I'm glad to share them others.

There are probably about a dozen maps I have not shared on this forum mostly because I still modify them each time I play them. I have posted one as a beta today (Zumba Email), it is ready for prime time.
RayofSunshine
CEO

This has nothing to do with the Egypt-1855 scenario, but want to make the remark or comment that I am sure that the members appreciate your talent, in both creations as well as the translations of other user creators creations.
!$th_u$! Oilcan for the many hours of your talents to help make Railroad Tycoon one of the most enjoyable programs. :salute: {,0,}
OilCan
Engineer

Ray of Sunshine wrote: !$th_u$! Oilcan for the many hours of your talents to help make Railroad Tycoon one of the most enjoyable programs. :salute: {,0,}
Thanks for the kind words! For some reason, I really like this game. I keep coming back to it.

What kind of Railroad Tycoon game do you like? I know you don't like mountains, and I know you don't much like personal net worth games. Do you prefer games in which one has to connect cities to win?
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Oilcan,
Mountains are not to my liking when they are "steep or sheer". Guess I would say I like mountains which have some lower levels from the crests, so as to get some incline that is not exaggerated. I do have some problems with those scenarios which have "designated paths", as there is one (?) which I never could get finished.

I have tried "leveling in reality" as some of the new scenarios indicate, but not very adaptable with the program. It is a novel idea, which was one of my "suggestions" of which many were of the same idea, to be able and "raise or lower" existing landscapes. Hats off to your endeavors along that line.

Arop has some good scenarios which I enjoy playing. Not necessarily for the multitude of cities to be connected, but the challenges themselves, and "do able" landscapes, which are some times "too doable".

Challenges? PNWs are not really a problem. It is the multitude of requirements. PNW, CBV, AND LIPs together. Such scenarios are "tooth pullers", as they are Catch 22. UNLESS 1 of them are in moderation. 2 or any one of them are within my capability to enjoy the creation. But I try playing all of them. If a user creator takes the time of their talents, the least I can do is attempt the "play", and then voice my comments.

My computer does have some type of problem, as you know, I have yet to find out the reason that I cannot get the early engines, which are checked off in the Editor, but only the Hudson, which is not, and at an exaggerated price in Gilligan's Island. You have researched the problem without finding the problem, and I am still playing around with different ideas, as I like the theme. Maybe some day. LOL

Just "do what you do", as although I have my problems with different scenario challenges, there are other members which find the challenges, not only a challenge, but enjoyable to play. !*th_up*! :salute: {,0,}
OilCan
Engineer

Ray of Sunshine: I'm having fits with my computer as well - it is a Vista version. For example, in replying to your posting the 'quote' button is missing from my view. Plus, I now can't see any posted images in the forum and most of the 'smilies' are missing. Glad to say that RT3 still runs great!

Arop did create some good games. They were made with his unique style. I have spent many hours in playing many of his games.

Your reply has challenged me to create a "Ray of Sunshine" style game: gentle to rolling terrain and a single requirement, maybe CBV. I'll begin putting some ideas together. If you have some ideas, please share them. I'll try to post a 'BETA' soon. :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote:Ray of Sunshine: I'm having fits with my computer as well - it is a Vista version. For example, in replying to your posting the 'quote' button is missing from my view. Plus, I now can't see any posted images in the forum and most of the 'smilies' are missing. Glad to say that RT3 still runs great!
Sounds like browser settings blocking images or maybe JavaScript. What browser are you using?
Is this a new problem or has your Vista been like this all along?
Smilies are gif's. So are the Quote and Edit buttons.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

I have had to retreat to IE for now. I used Google Chrome exclusively until it quit opening. It got slower and slower and then it'd take minutes to open and then it'd become unresponsive. (And I cleaned brower data, removed all add-ons, cleaned & defraged disk, nothing worked.) The latest thing was a message that said my ID file was corrupted. I uninstalled it.

IE has been working so-so until last night when I ran an updated Panda antivirus. I think it is blocking some features on my brower.

The issue with my browers began late last summer and at times is worse than other times. I've been all over the forums about this and nothing has worked. My 30 yr old son has done his best (and he is a techie) - he gives some short relief before it begins acting up again.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Have you tried Firefox or PaleMoon?
Have you considered upgrading to Win 7? You can still get an OEM version, although I don't think you can still buy a Retail version anymore.
I would avoid Win 8 but when Win 10 comes out later this year you'll be able to upgrade for free during the first year from Win 7 or Win 8, but not Vista or XP.
Hawk
Shamough
Conductor

Re Win 10 ... The upgrade is FREE ... the yearly subscription is ???

Shamough/Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Blackhawk
CEO

After some clarifying comments it didn't sound as if Win10 would charge yearly for just the OS. Course that's still possibly up in the air, but I don't see how they could charge yearly for a consumer version of Windows and not make consumers even more annoyed at MS. When some sites were reporting that people could upgrade from win7 to win10 for one year, it sounded as if they were saying you got 1 year free but then would have to pay, but when I read the actual comments from the conference seemed like you had one year from the time it was released to upgrade for free.

As Hawk said you could try installing a new browser like Firefox.

If you're getting files are that are corrupted though, you might want to run a hard drive scan to see if there are errors on the drive or if the drive is starting to fail. You can try Error checking: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... for-errors and/or use the older method of chkdsk http://www.computerhope.com/chkdskh.htm (essentially go to the command prompt and type chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r

Alternatively, if the hard drive is still in good shape, over time windows can mess up its own files and reformatting your hard drive could be an option if things get too annoying. Many tech geeks like reformatting their hard drive yearly just because it keeps things running fast for them. Of course it is a hassle to reinstall the programs you want/need and back up any files you'd want to keep.

Also if you are using IE, depending on what version you are using could affect how sites load. I know the default version of IE that came with Vista is rather out-dated now so if you haven't upgraded IE versions that could be an issue as well.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Shamough wrote:the yearly subscription is ???
Unknown at this time, if any. It will most likely be apps and various programs that will require subscriptions, such as MS Office, MS Skype, etc
Blackhawk wrote:but when I read the actual comments from the conference seemed like you had one year from the time it was released to upgrade for free.
That's the way I understood what I read also. That's what I meant in my post. :mrgreen:
Blackhawk wrote:Many tech geeks like reformatting their hard drive yearly just because it keeps things running fast for them.
That's typically my SOP.
Hawk
Shamough
Conductor

I managed to collect a bit of a problem a couple of years ago, in the form a a virus or two. I used the help from the following to rid my system of the buggers:

http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/

Start a new thread as instructed. Someone will respond with suggested programs and their sources to be run. Follow their instructions. I was able to rid my Win 7 of its buggies and had it purring agin in almost no time.

Shamough/Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
RayofSunshine
CEO

A little slow with a reply. I am using the 9.7 version. And yes, I have had problems previous with different programs. Will have to check out the 10 with my technician. Thank you for the update. !$th_u$!
:salute: {,0,}