Pennsylvania Electric

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Cliff
Watchman

Pennsylvania Electric Unread post

"Pennsylvania Electric," by Richard (Orange46) Lake is in the archives as a 1.06 RT3 map. I tried it once the other day and got my azz handed to me :oops: . I couldn't find anything about this map in this forum; has anyone tried it?
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Pennsylvania Electric Unread post

I looked at it some time back. It didn't win out my interest vs. other maps that were in my "to play" list at the time. Never got back to it. If it's difficult then I guess the appearance was deceptive. I will take a second look.

PS. Are you sure it's a 1.06 scenario? Looks 1.05 to me. If you had trouble with the AI, playing it in 1.06 which has more difficult AI may cause the game to be harder than intended. Just a thought.

ETA: A-ha! This is a limited track building game which would explain my choice to play another. I went to look in the editor and looked at the options available.

The number one consideration is the track limit. You can take over chairmanship on your choice of the smaller 3 AI companies at game start. The advantage here is that you will get double track allowance vs. starting your own company. You miss out on 500, and can't build for the first year, but then it's 200 every year instead of the standard 100. Advantage after 5 years.

If you have sufficient cash at year end, for a start it's $1M, you can get an additional 100 pieces to build the next year. Medals are checking for 3,205 track miles. 1 track mile = 2 track pieces. So bit of math and that's 33 years if you start your own company, or 23 if you chose one of the smaller AI. The other consideration is connecting 50 cities. Will it take more track? Possibly, depending on how efficient you are with it. Only other consideration is money. But in the long term even just building a couple Steel Mills and Tool & Dies can take financial pressure off pretty quickly and allow taking a hit on potential rail revenue.

If you plan to start your own company, there is money to be made with the un-pause valuation adjustment on the 3 small AI. Leigh Valley Railroad probably the best. Will turn capital into $318k after buy-in, running the game for split second, cash out. Then max buy-in on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad which will see value rise at month end due to Clement Atlee (the CEO) buying into his company (he has $100M personal cash at game start). This will give in the neighborhood of $2M personal cash. Can wait another month to increase a bit more. Definitely get a padded start this way, but the standard $150k isn't that shabby to begin with.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Pennsylvania Electric doesn't say anything about requiring 1.06.
Hawk
Cliff
Watchman

Hawk wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 am Pennsylvania Electric doesn't say anything about requiring 1.06.
Yeah, :oops: Just checked again. So maybe I won't play it right away, and when I do I will take RulerofRails' advice. Thanks much!
RayofSunshine
CEO

Usually I will play every new scenario, but in this case, it was probably a long time ago. From the "remarks" column, it doesn't look as if there has been much interest in it's creation. Too bad. But then it is possible so "difficult" that there has not been any comments. Guess I will attempt it's play again, as a user creator, Orange 46 is great at creating some good and usually difficult scenarios. {,0,} :salute:
RayofSunshine
CEO

As true to his creations, Orange46 has given Tycoons a great challenge. Yes, it is a difficult scenario, and Orange46 manages to "take away" at least $1M, then multiple Millions as the game progresses. Thus 1st few years are a "revenue" breaker, but there after it just gets harder. ^**lylgh It is the length of the game which may not be appealing to those liking 20-25 year time duration, BUT I enjoyed the challenge. missed the Gold by 1 city. !hairpull! Again, I hope that others will make some comments for winning.
:salute: {,0,}
low_grade
Dispatcher

I'm taking this for a spin, and as RulerofRails suggests, this appears to be a rather easy, yet annoying map. I'm guessing what should be impressive is all the pre-built track, which is likely fairly accurate.

I didn't tycoon the start too much, but in Feb I had a new company with enough to build a brewery and a steel mill and an initial rail network. I'm curious to keep going not for the challenge, but to see if Richard included many historical events/challenges over the years.