Genesse & Wyoming

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
SteamTrain
Hobo

Genesse & Wyoming Unread post

I have personally play this scenario many time. I hope you also enjoy it. I welcome your thoughts, suggestions and criticisms.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: Genesse & Wyoming Unread post

I am really getting to be a pest with these scenarios. This time being that I failed to make headway with the Denver & Western, I just thought I would see if I would have "any" problems with this scnario. Everything was going well, "until 1878". I don't believe that the train operating between SLC Depot and Santoquin for 9 years, and that is when the problem started.

I don't also know if it was directly involved with the system "hanging up", but that was the section of the operation of which I was playing. Buying a Lumber Mill, all of available Logging Camps, and then putting "stops" at each of them. The train came, 'unloaded' and I directed a routing to go to each for supplies for the Lumber Mill. Once unloaded, the system hung up.

I then rebooted and tried to just let the train operate at its original routing. SLC to Santaquin, to unload and load. Once loaded, the system hung up.

Each time I had to shut down the comuter for a restart.

Guess I need some more advice and/or suggestions. Mainly, why was I able to get the TMs and system to function correctly with the CHI, MSP or MKE and STP, and have such a problem now????? !hairpull! :salute: {,0,}
SteamTrain
Hobo

I have played this scenario many times over several years before I submitted it. So I am not sure what to tell you. BUT I can tell you that I was having similar problems several year ago as the newer Microscope operating systems came on line. I almost gave up playing RRT3. Out of frustration, I dual booted my computer with XP and 7. I play RRT3 only on windows XP and no longer have any problems.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well SteamTrain,
Thanks for the reply. My computer operates on XP and RT3 with 1.06 Patch. Don't know if that has anything to do with the problem. Wish the problem could be corrected, as your scenarios have very interesting challenges. The odd part is that I was able to get the medals in the CHI/MKE/STP version. But after needing to re-input a few of the TMs structures and farms into the Data Folder. Even though I could see that they were already installed. **!!!**
Well, will try another, or so, to see if I have the same problem. :salute: {,0,}
Alessio79
Cat

Hi i have trouble, loading your map, all needed files was installed or copied to to mentioned folders in my rt3 directory, but upon the game try to load the building files, i get a back to desktop error message containing the info: "Database: the building Ice Platform not found" or something like that. What can i do, to fix this error?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Did you copy all the .bca and .bty files to the data/building types folder?
Hawk
Alessio79
Cat

Hawk wrote:Did you copy all the .bca and .bty files to the data/building types folder?
Hi Hawk, thank you for your quick response. After re-analyzing my game folder, i was able to found the mistake (s). The first one could be appear due to (maybe) incompatible, not replaced files with existing ones (originals). The second mistake was maked by the creator of this scenario, the folder names contain spaces in their names, if a user download the whole zip/rar package, he get a) an uncomplete pack and b) with wrong spelled folders plus eventually for this special scenario outdated files.

Kind regards,

Sandro :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Alessio79 wrote: Hi Hawk, thank you for your quick response. After re-analyzing my game folder, i was able to found the mistake (s). The first one could be appear due to (maybe) incompatible, not replaced files with existing ones (originals).
Do you mean for installing the 1.06 patch, which is required for this scenario?
Alessio79 wrote:The second mistake was maked by the creator of this scenario, the folder names contain spaces in their names, if a user download the whole zip/rar package, he get a) an uncomplete pack and b) with wrong spelled folders plus eventually for this special scenario outdated files.
Are you saying that the Railyard Structures aren't compatible with this scenario or the 1.06 patch?

You should probably open the folders in the zip file and copy the contents to the proper folders in the game installation instead of unzipping the files directly into the game folder.

I think that's what you're saying anyway.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Have you tried downloading the Ice Platform file? It's on the same web page as the Rail Yard Structures, a little further down.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

The Rail Yard Structures used in this map also contain a small mod which changes the nature of the animal farms and the fertilizer cargo so that these farms produce solid fertilizer as waste from the beginning of the game with a halving in normal production of their main cargo (Cattle, Milk, or Wool). There is no clear separation between the two in the install files. This map is designed around the mod. The mod is replacing some files that you already have, the new files are the actual Rail Yard structures.

The best way to install both the rail yard structures and the mod would likely be to have a separate install of 1.06, but if you are limited on space there is a work-around if you manually copy in the files. In File Explorer when you are prompted what to do when pasting identical files, choose the option to keep both files which will give a (1) at the end of the name. This suffix can then be renamed to something such as RYMOD (ex. FarmSheep RYMOD.bca). When you have a space in the file's name the game will load this file as it comes before the original alphabetically, but if you remove the space (ex. FarmSheepRYMOD.bca) the game will load the original so you can switch in this fashion. The only other issue is saved games, which I would recommend saving with a suffix at the end of the name so you remember which ones you need the mod to load properly. There are only 4 files so this isn't too tedious, the let-down is that the process is prone to human error.

The documentation and file name of the Rail Yard Structures say 1.05, but in fact most of the maps that are made for either the mod or rail yard structures are 1.06. The spaces in the folder names I would put down to human error, we all get tired right? Maybe the zip file could be updated at some stage to be a little clearer.

Edit Oct, 2016: Green text was an idea that seemed to work, but I later found that events that involve a cargo/building only contain a reference to a certain location in the list. If anything is added or removed from the list, some references will return incorrectly. The problem is that the inactive cargo/building still appear in this list. So events involving cargoes/placing industries will likely break. Conclusion: a DANGEROUS idea.
Last edited by RulerofRails on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:Maybe the zip file could be updated at some stage to be a little clearer.
The zip has just been updated to correct the following:

1) Edited the Readme (in the zip and the linked to version) to not show Mod 1.05 and eliminate the spaces in the folder names under the install Instructions.

2) Removed the spaces in the folder names.

3) Changed the zip file name to eliminate the 105 in the name.

I believe that's all that needed updating, right?
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk wrote:I believe that's all that needed updating, right?
Because the farm/fertilizer mod is replacing some of the existing files, there could still be a problem for people who don't read the instructions to identify the right files that need to be replaced with the originals in order to remove it. The Rail Yard Structures only adds files, so maps that don't use them are unaffected unless you turn them on individually in the Industries tab of the editor. The "Fertilizer from Farms mod" was designed for the Rail Yards, but it will change the economy of every map you play. Some people may not install the mod as it will seem that current files are being replaced with others exactly the same except for the date. There is the option to make a separate folder with the original files that can be copied back in to replace the modded ones and return the game to normal. Otherwise, add instructions to backup those 4 files before installing and hope that people take the time to read it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It might be easier if you just make the changes to the ReadMe and send it back to me, if you don't mind. :mrgreen:

Edited to remove file.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Ok. Here you go. Tried to keep the note brief, but hopefully it's understandable. Removed the reference to TrainMaster as structures are installed by default and the fertilizer mod would mess with the TM economy. Made it "for Railroad Tycoon 3" and removed the reference to 1.05 as it works with both versions.

Edited to remove file.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Thanks! :salute:
Hawk