Reconstruction

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Reconstruction Unread post

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I will play the current version.

As to how I easily got the passenger quota, have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1984. Specifically, the production/demand of Passengers at Museums and Stadiums. To get the passenger goal I connected to Daytona Beach (which always has a Museum and a Stadium). Then I bought an express train and hooked up eight cars. That gives at least 6 loads of passengers, as there is little mail. Often another express behind it will pick up the extra two or find them from Tampa or Ocra. Thanks to low_grade and that thread we also know that Hotels produce 2 passengers per year, so if the Museum and Stadium weren't there I would build a couple in each of those towns and that should also take care of it, just not quite as fast.

@Wolverine, good research! That's the easiest pickings for this map. Well done to be thorough enough to find it on your first go! For a fast/easy game, I prefer operating from Mississippi with Meat and Alcohol in Gulfport, Lumber near Jackson, and Clothing in Cleveland. Once production is going full swing the industry discount will soon be over and it is time to start hauling all those higher level cargoes.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Well, I got many more years into it (in the early 1890's now) and just waiting to get enogh cash to buy into Illinios via Kentucky to start hauling Oil (and later, Diesel). Pretty easy going so far; have connected most towns in the west all the way up to Jackson TN and over to Nashville. Am making over $3M/yr in industry profits so it won't be long before I get to Cairo. Just like in real life, I tend to spend my money instead of saving it. IL is going to cost $6 Million at this point, but I keep finding high ROI ways to spend my money as new sources of raw materials pop up.

The only suggestion I would make is to give a month warning about the increase-production offers after moving into the next state. The options are $500,000 straight away or 10% increase in overhead. Unfortunately, there's no way to check what you're paying in overhead once the event is triggered so there's no way to know what the best deal is. I've found myself having to go back to a pre-event saved game to check my overhead costs so when the event comes up, I know which to pick (early on, the 10% increase in overhead is the best deal, but later, the $500,000 is best).

The last line in the "Challenges" event should start with "You" rather than "Yo". I'll keep my eyes open for other typos.
RulerofRails
CEO

Ok, finished a run REALLY starting in Virginia. Took the first seed I got and it was ok with two Dairies, one ranch, and one cotton farm. Don't know if that is a better than average seed. To start the game I built a Meat Packing Plant and bought one of the Dairies. The Dairy wasn't such a good deal, but it was a steady earner throughout the game, I bought the other one the next year. After a good few years, I had built up the state with a Textile Mill and good rail connections. After paying down a good few bonds to give me plenty of capital I expanded into North Carolina. In turn building it up. Then proceeded doing this state by state to the south. The first few states I built up industry along with rails. But once I was paying full price for territories, I went more heavily into rails only buying exceptional industries such as those that had just been upgraded or anywhere else I was sure to get a steady 20+% return. I also built a Hotel in all my towns and in the last full year I had 10M revenue from Express. Anyway, with double access costs I ended up paying 59M for access rights to complete the Oil challenge and buying into Florida and Arkansas while waiting for Diesel to be made. I was lined up to start hauling Oil right around 1890 when Diesel shows up. Finished at the end of '93 (the new 50 Oil/10 Diesel requirement.) Used two refineries to accomplish this in time, one seeded on its own in Baton Rouge.

@Hawk, all one needs to do to succeed on this map is focus on industry in your state at the beginning of the game. Choose instant-return, consistent, high-return options. The discount is a big clue that this is the way to go. As long as you only use the money from bonds to build or buy high return industries you can't go wrong. If you can't find any save your money/pay down high interest (above 10%) bonds while waiting for an opportunity to appear. Once you are making some higher end cargoes you can make some money hauling them so build some rails. Never use all your bonds to buy into a new territory always until you have plenty of extra capital (bonds) available to expand fast into that state and make a net gain in profit. After the first ten years, start focusing more on rails. Don't want to preach to the choir, but bonds are one of your best friends in this game and this map is no different. The higher interest rates just mean that you need to be a little more careful to make prime investments. Prime investments is the way to financial freedom in this game. Don't waste money on anything. This might sound too much like real-life, but trust me once you have financial freedom (money coming in almost as fast as you can spend it, I believe Lama calls it the "take-off point") you can basically do anything you want in the game. The faster you reach this the quicker you can make any money-related goals and of course throwing money at any of the other goals often helps too! 8-)

@Wolverine, I am also really tempted to buy some high ROI industries mid-game, but the high growth and hence potential for future seeded industries to steal their resources makes them a little less attractive. Nothing like those 400k Dairies/Ranches though! I can't help myself. :-D

@EPH The Warehouse to convert Ingots to Machinery is working well. But I wouldn't seed it at the start of the game. Maybe have it appear a few years earlier than the rest of the map experiences high growth. Reason for this is that Machinery is demanded at factories and their are few on the map at the start. Also Ceramics aren't any use if their isn't any Concrete Plants or Breweries/Distilleries nearby yet.
EPH
Dispatcher

I'll give a more thorough feedback to everyone later in the week - it's after 10pm here and I have to be up at 5am - but I did want to address two points.

Next version of the map has higher initial density and slower growth - it seems to play more evenly as the 'take-off point' is farther down the runway (so to speak).

The 'machine shop' warehouses were placed on the map because they never seemed to spawn. I suppose I could write events to spawn them but I think this is simpler. The main concern from a game design standpoint is that they get some cargo moving and don't go in the red heavily enough to disappear. I hate the way that lumber mills and paper mills take YEARS for cargo to even start to move.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Blackhawk
CEO

I just got done with another run through of the map. I started in Georgia, then South Carolina, Alabama and Mississippi. I focused on industries at the start, and finally in 1879 I built some rail connecting Atlanta and Savanna. I took the steel challenge and finished with the original requirements in 1888. Another couple years and I'd have get the 25 to the East coast. I also bought into Florida and likely could have easily done the passenger challenge. By 1891, I had enough money to buy into every territory and built a station in each state, which makes me think I could probably have done the oil challenge as well before the scenario ended.

-With the now increased access costs, I wonder if the 1 million profits and 5 million company profit is too low. If you can't get over 5 million profit in a year, it will be very difficult to make enough money to get access to all the required territories, especially, if you require all the territories be connected for a gold medal.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the idea of requiring all the territories be connected. At that point it's just a matter of waiting for enough cash to come in to buy up the remaining access rights, build track, and win right after that. I think the biggest key to making the game last longer would be slowing down the growth during the 1880s. The quickest and easiest investments during the 1880s are the cattle ranches/dairy farms right when they appear. Reducing the density/growth of some of these raw materials/industries may make it harder to make as quick of a profit, especially if the the cattle/dairy farms are reduced. I know during the 1880s and in a booming economy, I was making over 16 million profit in a year (~18million in industry revenue) and eventually the incentive to buy more things fades as how much more money do you really need. The majority of my income came from industry rather than rails. I think it was around 18mil industry, and 5-6mil freight/express.

-One thing to note, I used the possible 1.06.01 fix that I have been working on while playing in this run through. It increases the price of concrete and ceramics, as well as creating a demand for ingots at the church. The furnace seemed to covert both ore and rock very well.

-As for another typo: flamingo is misspelled in the tourist event.

-The 3 year deals that come up. I'm not sure they need an alert a month in advance. Maybe the first time, but I'd rather not get bothered with lots of additional messages. I think to some extent that may be part of the allure of that event. If you aren't expecting it, you aren't sure which route to take and you just have to take a guess. Obviously this only really happens during the middle stage of the game, as early on the overhead is so low the 10% is easily the best choice, and late in the game the overhead is likely so high that 500k is the better route. Although I found that late in the game I didn't bother with these production boosts at all, unless I owned a lot of the farms that would gain a production boost; and even then I often didn't bother with it. Ex. When there are a lot of cotton farms in an area were there is an excess of cotton, an additional 50% more cotton just further creates more excess and potentially depresses the value of cotton.

-On the Oil Challenge - I'm not sure I'd say it was hard, but it did require waiting for either a refinery to appear, or building one yourself after they become available (1890?). In the game where I did the oil challenge, there was 25-30+ barrels of oil just sitting in New Orleans so that was easy enough to haul north. I agree the diesel was the more difficult part as you had to wait for the prices to stabilize after a refinery is built and the price of diesel starts to increase enough for the refinery to become profitable.

-Machine Shop warehouses - I think the map started with 3, and by the end I had 5 on my map, one spawned in Birmingham and a second one spawned in Atlanta. I don't really have an opinion on whether they are placed from the start or placed by event.
EPH
Dispatcher

OK, the newest version is up on page 1. I have incorporated your comments and - I think - this one is more balanced. Initial seeding is a little higher, growth in first 20 years is slower. Warehouses and ports have been changed so look at what they do before you just plop a meatpacking plant or a distillery down! :shock: Additional events increase track maintenance and cost, and another increases locomotive maintenance and cost. A fourth challenge has been added (connect 12 territories) for people who just want to run rails.

I just played this out to a Gold win from a Tennessee start (probably the easiest opening gambit is a textile mill in Memphis), expanding to Kentucky, Illinois, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia and Florida in that order. Had to work a little harder to get the 50 loads of oil and 10 loads of diesel delivered but finished the last in 1896. I found it harder (not exactly hard, but harder) to expand in the late game. Money was pouring in but it was going right back out... had to juggle to get from Chattanooga to Atlanta and Savannah, then really had to plan ahead to get into Florida and on to Tampa.

The typo has been fixed - flamingos do not dance the flamenco, which must have been the source of my confusion. *!*!*! Right?

The 'Silver' requirement of $1 mil in industry income was deliberately set low to encourage players to go industrial from the start and also to give them an early feeling of accomplishment. I can set the $5 mil profit requirement higher, but in my last game I wasn't reaching much above $5 mil even at the end of the game. Once you play the latest version let me know what you think.

If you can still stand to play this thing one more time I think we can put it into final shape. If the end stage is still too easy I think the best fix will be to increase the track cost/maintenance and/or company overhead, or perhaps add a 'tax'.

As always, I am most grateful to you all for your comments and suggestions. Keep them coming please and we will all have another fun little scenario to play! ::!**!

!$th_u$!
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I'll give it a go. I replayed the previous one and easily got the steel option in about 1893. Was in the midst of trying the PAX option, but will halt and try the new one out. I like it, but as you noted it gets pretty expensive to move into new territories toward the end. Not a bad thing, and I like your 4th option.
EPH
Dispatcher

I can't play my own game! !hairpull! !!censor!! :lol:

Started in South Carolina - decent start with 3 industries (meat packing, distillery then textile mill) but not able to lay rails until about 1876. Grew north to North Carolina & Virginia, then south to Georgia. Took the Tourist challenge - and failed miserably. Tried building multiple hotels, plus every other non-cheating trick I know. Never got more than 10 passengers to leave the East Coast and never got more than 2 per year to Palm Beach.

Otherwise it was lots of fun. Got into Florida around 1886, Alabama by 1890 and Tennessee by 1896. Making lots of money ($5-6 mil profit per year) and spending lots too.

I have a warehouse/port in Palm Beach set up to demand 4 passengers. Does this work for cargo demand in 1.06? Doesn't seem like it...

Anyway, I think the solution is to bring Tourists in line with the other challenges by making it a lifetime goal - say, 100 from the East Coast and 12 to Palm Beach - total, not per year. Other suggestion is to expand 'Palm Beach' area up through Daytona and maybe Jacksonville. Thought about requiring an annual express speed instead of 'to Palm Beach' PAX but player would probably then have to convert all other trains to freight-cargo-only, which would be a lot of micro-management in mid-game.

Please give PAX a shot and let me know if the per-year challenge is winnable or needs to be changed.

Man... I am not so good at this after all. :lol:
RulerofRails
CEO

Ok, finished another play. I started in Virginia again as I think that the double access costs make it one of the tougher starts. Started with a Meat Packer and Dairy, then in I think the third year built a Steel Mill and Tool & Die near Galax as there was one iron and one coal mine there. This wasn't the best strategy. I forgot that the Tool & Die would consume the Iron so they competed a bit and profits didn't grow too fast. Next time I would simply build the Tool & Die first, and wait for 1877 to build the Steel Mill next to it. My first track was across the mountains to a second set of mines (iron and coal) near Kingsport. Then expanding to the East Coast Terminal. I bought into Tennessee to snare a Meat Packer that had just sprung up in Nashville. Had a little bit of a lull in operations until I could afford to cross the mountains in a big way as there was an AI running Kingsport to Knoxville. Was almost 1880 before I built the line as far as Memphis. I built up some industry there first to make it worthwhile. Connected to Chattanooga getting ready to spring into Alabama. Built it up a little, bought into Georgia for access to Atlanta and Savannah. While in Georgia the challenge choice came up. Decided to take the Tourist challenge again. To see if anything had changed with it.

Once I bought into Florida I had obtained all the necessary connections for Gold, so onto the Tourist challenge. I connected down through Florida; Tallahassee, Ocala, Tampa, Palm Beach. At this stage I also built a Hotel in Tampa and another at the East Coast Terminal. This play I was light on passengers. The first few engines I bought were Consolidations for the mountains and because I didn't have a network of close larger cities these were the first Hotels I built anywhere on the map. I then waited a year for some passengers to build up in those towns. Then I connected to Daytona Beach and the first train I bought had 5 loads of Passengers going to Palm Beach. I found the other three loads from Tampa and Ocala. When I play for these type of goals I do micro-manage the trains to make sure that I have the goal. I will buy a new train just to haul another load of passengers that wants to travel where I want them to go.

During the wait-year I had bought access to North Carolina. I connected to Greensboro, and Charlotte. I connected to the AI who was running a three-pointed star system of Charlotte, Greenville, and Columbia. I bought a few express trains (I use Dukes as their Passenger appeal is good) running down south. That wasn't enough to make 12 that year. The following year enough passengers had built up in East Coast that I managed to get 15 out that year (1888).

Passenger generation is best where there are a few larger towns/cities fairly close to one another. Often a portion of the passengers you haul into a station will want to go straight back out again. So hauling passengers to a station helps to get more from it. At year end some of the passengers on the map disappear, but a fair amount of them stay around. This means they will build up over time. Hotels and the other Station buildings help with this. Sometimes it pays to check for waiting passengers just before year end. But the basic premise of my way to get the Palm Beach goal is relying on the passenger supply immediately available upon connection to Daytona Beach. I am not sure all the factors that affect this. It could be that in Depression a lot fewer appear on original connection than in better times. If I couldn't get the goal like this I would run as many trains toward Palm Beach and make as many connections around it as I could. Also as I said before those Hotels certainly help.

Well, in my opinion this map is done. I liked the fact that the challenge announcement has been bumped back to 1885. This stops an early frantic race for the finish. All the different challenges should have much closer possible win times now. Also the changes to the Ports and Warehouses are good. I like the added engine costs half-way through and the new seeding and growth rates. A big thumbs up from me! !*th_up*! Thanks EPH!
EPH
Dispatcher

The final version is posted on page 1: some minor changes including the addition of a mail contract and passenger promotion, as well as moving the tourist challenge to a lifetime haul instead of year-to-date.

Hawk, feel free to move it to the library, or tell me how to get it to you.

My thanks to everyone who helped - I hope you enjoy it.

!$th_u$! !$th_u$! !$th_u$! !$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

EPH wrote:Hawk, feel free to move it to the library, or tell me how to get it to you.
Will do, as soon as I can get back on-line with my computer.
Right now I'm at the library and don't have access to what I need to add it to the archives.
Hawk
AT41B
Watchman

I'm not sure about the problem I seem to encounter with some of the scenarios I download. I do not understand the repetition of errors that I find in a lot of the status pages showing the quantity of loads made or moved from one place to another. I do not know if my machine is doing the errors as I see it or if the scenario writer deliberately sets it up that. I have the habit of proof reading the events before I play the scenario. I do believe some of the composers finds it necessary to manipulate cargo by using aliases to fulfill the games goal.
I have been wanting to ask the question, but not wanting to appear dumb, I haven't until now.
This last scenario ( RECONSTRUCTION ), the version prior to 4/21/2014 and also this last version, has 6 events with errors (as I see it).
I also know that these errors only show on the status ledger and does not otherwise change the game. But it does effect the players mental psyche.

1. S-Ch Steel Ship ====== Steel Shipped From Birmingham: [ LTD Oil From Terr. by Comp. ] of 50
2. S-Ch Steel Rec. ====== Steel Received at East Coast: [ LTD Oil To Terr. by Comp. ] of 25
3. S-Ch Tourist Ship ===== Tourist Leaving East Coast: [ LTD Lumber From Terr. by Comp. ] of 100
4. S-Ch Tourist Rec ===== Tourist Arriving Palm Beach: [ LTD Lumber To Terr. by Comp. ] of 12
5. S-Ch Oil Rec ======== Oil Received in Cairo: [ LTD Livestock To Terr. by Comp. ] of 50
6. S-Ch Diesel Rec ===== Diesel Received in Cairo: [ LTD Corn To Terr. by Comp. ] of 10

Do I need to continue to proof read and edit the events to show the correct numbers?
Blackhawk
CEO

If you are seeing that same type of error in several scenarios it may be a problem with your install. I just checked the latest version of the scenario and to me it appears the cargo that is referenced in brackets is the correct cargo.

Do you have any missing cargo files or additional cargo files? That may very well crash the scenario, but on the other hand maybe it could also is cause a different cargo to be referenced in these bracketed [ ] events.
EPH
Dispatcher

I have just checked the events and, as best I can see, the totals are consistent between the status event, the challenge announcement and the event that decides whether or not a challenge has been won. So as far as I know, these events are not in error.

When I load it up my status events show Steel, Passengers, Oil and Diesel and not Oil, Lumber, Livestock and Corn. I assure you there was no intent to deceive the player, and my copy appears to be correct. There are probably some errors in the scenario somewhere, but if so they are my fault - and there in spite of the efforts of the terrific team of playtesters and checkers who helped me out with this one.

Please note this is a 1.06 scenario - if you do not have version 1.06 you may be unable to load the map or have other errors. That is the first thing I would check... if you are running version 1.06 then I think Blackhawk is on the right track. It looks like the game hasn't found some cargo types and has 'moved up' cargos to fill in the gap. All of the cargos you see are 'above' the cargos I used in the list - for example Corn is 2 or 3 cargos above Diesel and Oil is 8 above Steel. So I think something is wrong with your files.
Blackhawk
CEO

Lumber and Livestock are also 6 spots above Passengers and Oil.

Did you happen to rename the cargo files with the ~#### in front of them? Cause then that may be the cause of these events being off.

~4465Ceramics
~4467Concrete
If these cargoes had the ~#### removed they would become 2 additional cargoes that would appear above Diesel, and the Diesel event was off by 2.

~4469Crystals
~4475Dye
~4476Electronics
~4488Ingots
Same as above with these 4. If they had the ~#### removed alphabetically they would appear before Livestock/Lumber and account for the 6 slot difference.

~4493Machinery
~4494Medicine
Same as above and would account for the 8 slot difference.

~4505Ore
~4513Rock
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Status page events are correct on my machine too. I do have one gripe though. I chose the Steel Hauling option and the Steel Mill, which I bought and upgraded once it started turning a profit, was cranking out 20 or more loads of Steel per year that I hauled off to Atlanta where I had built a Tool and Die Shop. After a couple of years, I looked at the status page and saw that my Steel out of Birmingham count was at ZERO! How could that be? Well, it turns out that although I had placed my station just to the northwest of "Downtown" Birmingham, It was just outside the very small Territory designated as Birmingham. I had the same thing happen when I was playing earlier versions of the scenario, but the problem was in Cairo, where because of terrain and interferring buildings, I built my station just north of the downtown, but still showing "Connected" to Cairo. Unfortunately, all of my Oil hauls there weren't counted either.

I find this extermely annoying, and it doesn't just pertain to this scenario as I have encountered it in other scenarios, where the limits of territories for Ship-from or Ship-to are not somehow identified, either by territory lines themselves or in some other way. If the lines themselves are not wanted by the scenario creator, at least give some indication of the size of the territory by painting the ground in some way. It's a real pain in the butt to place a station and carry on, only to find out years later that you didn't hit the "sweet spot". :evil:
AT41B
Watchman

Thanks guys for the info. I will double check my cargoes to make sure I have the correct ones loaded. I kind of thought that it was my machine. Now I know where to start my investigation. You guys are brilliant in what you are doing. After I find my machines errors, I will let it be known. LOL, garbage in is garbage out.
I am running the .06 version ( I think) :roll: But, at the same time, I have added extra cargoes of other players design. Otherwise, the games work fine and I have a lot of fun. It's hardly a day that passes that I don't read the forum or sit for a while and struggle through a (hard) scenario.
EPH
Dispatcher

Blackhawk - Looks right. I always did wonder why the game shows all cargos alphabetically except for the added ones like ceramics, which are tacked onto the end.

Wolverine@MSU - I even extended the size of the Cairo territory to try to prevent that. :oops: Good suggestion about painting the map; I'll take a look at that. Take a look at the *To East Coast zone too - you need a central station there also.

I could change it from a 'mapped-to' territory to a purchase-access zone, setting the price at $1 or so, but I think that would mess up the connection challenge. So... painting is probably the way to go.

That's why I always check the ledger after delivering the first train-load of goods... I found that same hitch when trying to deliver oil but caught it early enough to bulldoze and rebuild in Cairo.

AT41B - the folks here are a nice and helpful bunch, and the game - though ancient by game standards - is still one of my favorite play-toys. It's like Sim City in that I get to build something and then watch it run. :-D
AT41B
Watchman

EPH --- You guys are great, and the problem was resolved right off the bat.
Yes, it was the fact of the cargo that needs the ~#### in front was there without same. You guys are great !!clap!! !!clap!! {,0,}
Blackhawk
CEO

Good to hear you got the problem fixed AT41B. I have a copy of 1.05, 1.06, Trainmaster, and a test version of 1.06, so sometimes multiple installs help prevent some of these issues. I know some people have an extra install of 1.06 to use Lirio's engine mod, since that isn't backwards compatible with the original version of 1.06. And like you say there are other stray cargoes/engines/etc for scenarios and things like that just laying around the forums for various scenarios!

EPH - The cargoes could have been listed alphabetically, but the 1.06 creators wanted to have 1.05 be compatible to play in 1.06. If they had put them alphabetically anything that tested against a cargo would have been disrupted. So instead they appear at the end of the list, it's a little annoying but I suppose for the sake of being able to play 1.05 scenarios in 1.06 it's acceptable.