Alaska - 1955

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Alaska - 1955 BETA VERSION Unread post

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Will there be one coming?
I'm pretty sure he's working on it. :salute:
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Will there be one coming?
Yes, I won't be able to get it ready this week-end, but I'll send out another BETA version as soon as I can.
RulerofRails
CEO

Just finished playing using only steam. First I used the U1 till I realized that the V-2 is cheaper to operate especially considering its reliability. After it becomes unavailable, I was playing with the QJ. I was using the QJ for the oil run. In case it's helpful, here's a screenshot of my first QJ that has completed the first round trip on the oil run. The fuel and engine maintenance costs for the trip south were 268k. The original trip turns out slightly profitable, costs will increase, but better track layout would help to make the journey cheaper.
Alaska QJ oil run costs.jpg
Alaska QJ oil run costs.jpg (97.48 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
This play I left two of the AI to grow and buy up industries as they were out of my way. I didn't issue any stock, and ended here with PNW of 200M with no debt (company or personal) in boom times. This time I started at Anchorage, and built rails first, but went into industry earlier as I was unsure how profitable the steamers would be over time. I didn't build a silly bridge across the Cook Inlet this time, but did end up with an unconnected network for a few years due to a merger. I endeavored to keep from exploiting the special industries. I look forward to the tweaked recipes. In this shot, I am just about to take over the final AI which will grant me the Fairbanks to Fort Yukon connection and give me the medal. Good times.
OilCan
Engineer

** BETA 2 VERSION **

Attached below is the BETA 2 version of Alaska_1955. This version incorporates almost every comment posted for Beta 1, plus some new items.

The permafrost is the most visible new addition. Snow coloring is another. The game now offers a Platinum medal. A machinery warehouse now appears when the oil wells appear. The costs for some engines were adjusted so the player has more choices.

As always, all comments to improve the game are welcome.
I would appreciate some direction on:
Is the permafrost explanation confusing or the lines on the map distracting?
Does the permafrost offer enough of an 'obstacle' to affect a player's strategy without being annoying?
Should the platinum medal be tougher to attain? (I was able to deliver well over 100 loads of oil beyond the 50 required in my test runs, yet I usually had to push to reach the $200M company profit.)
Is there some game text which does not make sense or could be better stated?

(The BETA 2 version has also been posted on the first post of this thread.)
Attachments
Alaska1.JPG
Alaska1.JPG (20.06 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
Alaska_1955_beta2.zip
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
Shamough
Conductor

Alaska Beta2

FIRST! I love the map detail. ... The game on Expert is giving me fits.

Suggestion:
PermF Deal(1-3)
Test ... END OF MONTH
ove ___PFD Terr(1-3) Into PermF Deal(1-3) opeion 2
(I was getting a FUBAR trigger for PermF Deal1 when I tried to LOAD the game after I had laid the 750 pieces.)

---------------
Problem:
*** Main Status2
... Total Oil Loads to Valdez: [LTD Oil To Terr. by Comp.]
Does not always display the correct results.
---------------
Suggestion:
Platenium can only be won when playing Expert.
-----------------
Suggestion:
Set the setup values for HARD & EXPERT to slightly different values.
---------------------
Question:
Did you test the game playing EXPERT?
(I had a good game going and then about 1970 my train income went through the cellar ... Probably had something to do with the 8 trains I was using to move OIL and Machinery. My income never recovered enough to build to the rest of the towns before 1980. May also have been caused by my DOUBLE TRACKING from Valdez to the OIL FIELD. (3 years 157 loads of oil.))
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Shamough wrote: Problem:
*** Main Status2
Are you taking into account that less than full loads are not counted?
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Shamough wrote:I was getting a FUBAR trigger for PermF Deal1 when I tried to LOAD the game after I had laid the 750 pieces.)
I had to look up what FUBAR meant. I'm not sure why it triggers more than once. The event is set for one time only.
Were the results too high, too low or just random error? I did not notice any error in the counts in my test runs. I would track it train load by train load.
Set the setup values for HARD & EXPERT to slightly different values.
Such as...?
Did you test the game playing EXPERT?
No, I did not test BETA 2 on expert, but I did for BETA 1. For BETA 2 I add lots of company cash and ran several mini-games for the sole reason to test how the new events performed, tweaking the events or map between each test.
Shamough
Conductor

OilCan wrote:
Shamough wrote:I was getting a FUBAR trigger for PermF Deal1 when I tried to LOAD the game after I had laid the 750 pieces.)
I had to look up what FUBAR meant.
Fouled Up Beyond All Repair (Military uses a 'French' word for the 'F')
OilCan wrote:I'm not sure why it triggers more than once. The event is set for one time only.
The problem was it wasn't triggering at all when it was supposed to by the trigger point you are using. That's why I suggested using END OF MONTH, rather than WHEN A TRACK OR STATION IS PLACED.

OilCan wrote:
Shamough wrote:... Total Oil Loads to Valdez: [LTD Oil To Terr. by Comp.]
Were the results too high, too low or just random error? I did not notice any error in the counts in my test runs.
I could track it train load by train load.
Displayed ZERO '0' even though I had moved over 50 loads shown in another message.
I noticed this effect in other games. (I think the value is reset before the STATUS page is displayed.) Use an unused VAR:
EVENT: X END Of YEAR
CONDITIONS:
TERRITORY = [VALDEZ]
Companies TRUE
TERRITORIES TRUE
EFFECTS:
Territory Var 3 = Total Oil Loads to Valdez: [LTD Oil To Terr. by Comp.]

For STATUS:
EVENT: X Status
Dialog: SAME as now except use: Territory Var 3 for LTD loads of oil hauled.
CONDITIONS:
TERRITORY = [VALDEZ]
Companies TRUE
TERRITORIES TRUE
OilCan wrote:
Shamough wrote:Set the setup values for HARD & EXPERT to slightly different values.
Such as...?
5-7 for Hard ... 10-15 for Expert
OilCan wrote:
Shamough wrote:Did you test the game playing EXPERT?
No, I did not test BETA 2 on expert, but I did for BETA 1. For BETA 2 I add lots of company cash and ran several mini-games for the sole reason to test how the new events performed, tweaking the events or map between each test.
I think the game needs to be evaluated on Expert to see if it can be achieved.

Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Shamough wrote:I think the game needs to be evaluated on Expert to see if it can be achieved.
I just started it on Expert this morning. Only got a few years into it before time to go to work. I'll report on how I fare.
Shamough
Conductor

I just made GOLD! Platenium took me an additional 20 (Aug 1981) months. (I fudged the end dates, in 1979 to '1985/30'.)

Kinda a problem:
Don't allow players to skip through the introductions. The info re the Military subsidizing the track and engine maintainence is too important to be overlooked ... like I did.

Suggestions:
1. End the OIL BONUS when the pipeline is finished. You can increase the price the port pays by increasing the Demand from 10/10 to 50/50 (The editor complains but it will accept the larger numbers.)
2. Increase the number of OIL deliveries for Plat from 50 to about 100 ... at least 80. (I had over 100 by the end of 1978 without needing to double track Deadhorse to Valdez.)
3. Government Subsidizes (first 2 years) should only kick in when one or more cities are connected. (As it is now I buy Industries for the first 11-12 years and then start laying track ... and being paid $2.4M to do it.)

Hans
Last edited by Shamough on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

OilCan
Engineer

Shamough wrote:I just made GOLD!
Great! Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
Shamough
Conductor

In your introduction re Industries hints: A Tannery also produces MEAT ... so building a Cannery next to the Tannery is a good idea. ... (It would make a nice addition the the Hints page. :-)

Hans

Shamough
Conductor

Just made Platinum June 1977 !!! ::!**! (Beta2) (101 loads of OIL to Valdez) (I used Babe The Blue Ox a LOT, especially thru the Brooks Range.)

Nice game great map! {,0,} !!howdy!! !$th_u$! !!clap!! yum!!!!

Hans

P.S.

It is very important to connect the 4 military bases ASAP!

Hans

RayofSunshine
CEO

Ugh! OilCan, can't you program Alaska to have less mountains? LOL

Spent a lot of time reading all the posts, but thought that the initial Beta should be removed see that there is now a Beta 2? Unless a person reads the threads, a player may not be aware of an upgrade or update.

The scenario has great concept of challenges. Am looking forward to play it. However, it might be a time as my wife wants be to spend more time with her, rather than time I play Tycoon. Have to keep the woman happy. LOL

:salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Spent a lot of time reading all the posts, but thought that the initial Beta should be removed see that there is now a Beta 2? Unless a person reads the threads, a player may not be aware of an upgrade or update.
Here's a quote from the post with the beta 2 zip attachment back on page 3.
OilCan wrote:(The BETA 2 version has also been posted on the first post of this thread.)
Also, here's a quote from the first post in this thread.
OilCan wrote:Note: BETA1 version removed. BETA2 version attached below.
And if you'll notice, the attachment in the very first post in this thread is the beta 2 zip.
Hawk
Shamough
Conductor

Suggestion:
The ROIs for the Cannery, Tannery, Produce Greenhouse, AND probably the Gun Smith & Warehouse are all too high. The initial price needs to be set higher and the upgrades too.

It's nice that they are low: $700K & $600K and is probably a large factor in being able to meet the $200M company profit objective within the 25 year span. I think the prices should be trippled ... and then to rebalance the game may need to be extended to 30 years.

And for Giggles set Plat goals to: 120 Oil, $250M, connect 90 cities, and check for connection to one or more of the Kodiak cities to Fairbanks. Also check for loads between the 4 military bases ... say 10-25 loads of troops moved to each base. (As it is now all you need do is place a DEPOT in each of those cities and forget them.)

Hawk
The Big Dawg

WOW! You're trying to make this scenario unplayable for simpletons like me. ^**lylgh I realize you experts like a more challenging scenario, but what about us that aren't as good at this game?
I'm already have a bit of difficulty with this one, and I'm playing on Medium difficulty.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Maybe change things and set it for Hard or Expert levels only? That way us less than expert players can still have a fighting chance. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Shamough
Conductor

Winning startigy: Connect 2 cities ... no trains. And to avoid rebuilding ststions and track make them Fairbanks to whatever ... NOW you qualify for the Government subsidy for the next 2 years. (You'd get it anyway ... I just like to make it 'legal' ... well sort of anyway.)

Sell a Bond, Issue 2 shares of Stock. Repeat yearly for the first 10 years. DO NOT buy more than $5M in Bonds ... The interest will kill you. (The game doesn't require PNW building so play the stock market or ignore it.)

Make sure that the game has two sets of close raindeer ranches. 3/2 minimum to start with. (I actually check before I commit to the game.) Buy them. Drop a Tannery and a Cannery in the closest town. Revisit and upgrade in a year. (If there is no close city drop the Cannery and Tannery in the middle of the Ranches, (Drop a DEPOT or Small Station that cover both or all 4. You'll want to move the goods once you're connecting cities and running trains.)

Drop Canneries next to every FISHING port ... make sure that the port actually produces MEAT. (Note: two Fishing Ports or an upgraded fishing port will support TWO Canneries (Upgraded). Once you've dropped all of the Canneries near fishing ports go back and UPGRADE them all. Some Warehouses produce MEAT ... Drop a Cannery ... revisit in a year and check for overflow.

Once the above is done find COAL deposits, 2+ close together, and build Produce Warehouses in a close city and buy the Coal Mines. Upgrade the Produce Warehouses.

Go back and check to see if there are any NEW Raindeer Ranches and buy them. Add more Tanneries/Canneries as necessary.

Buy All of the Logging Camps. Place ONE Lumber Mill for in a near city for every 2 Logging camps that are close. Add a Furnature Factory and a Paper Mill ... upgrade all if there are 3+ Logging Camps near. Don't be afraid to drop a 2nd Lumber Mill, Furnature Factory and Paper Mill if there are 5+ Logging Camps near.

The 1964 Earthquake has just happened ... There's still more to buy and build ...

In 1968 start laying track in earnest !! Connect Seward, Valdez and Anchorage and then straight up to Prudhoe (Deadhorse) through Fairbanks. You should have the track completed before the oil is discovered.

Start running a few trains.

Oil !!! Two or three large stations unless you have a single well off where it should only need a DEPOT. (Don't even think about buying the Oil Wells ... they are all 1,000% over priced and you'll never regain your investment.

Engines: I used BIGBOYS until they dissapear and then FP45s.

NOW CONNECT ALL four Military Base Cities required for the Maintainence bonuses..

Go back and check for new Raindeer Ranches ... buy them.

Check all of the Tanneries and Canneries for overflow ... Upgrade or add a 2nd as necessary ... you want every red cent from these operations that you can squeeze from them.

Check for new Coal Mines, buy them ... Add or upgrade the Produce Warehouses as necessary. If a new Coal field has opened up drop a new Produce Warehouse and buy the Mines.

Time to start connecting cities ... Your income from the Industries should be about $11M/yr.

At some point early on connect to Kodiak Island for the additional MEAT. A year later go back and check for MEAT overflow and add more Upgraded Canneries where needed.

Now it's a sprint to connect the rest of the Cities Cities.

Buy Access to Canada & connect Dawson City, and pay off all of the Bonds. (You should have refinanced them when your credit rating allowed you to buy at 5%.)

I've ignored Ore Mines and Furnaces ... just no time to play with them ... But if you're Company's LTD Net is still well below $200M feel free to start investing. Also add trains to high profit runs.

Hans
Last edited by Shamough on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'm already 14 years into this play so I'll keep going with what I'm doing and see what happens. I'll think about your strategy when I play again.

I think my biggest problem is I don't play like a railroad Barron. I play like someone that likes to play with trains. That's the fun of the game for me. The goals just give me something to strive for. :mrgreen:
Hawk