Alaska - 1955

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
OilCan
Engineer

Re: Alaska - 1955 BETA VERSION Unread post

Thanks for posting the photo. I think I know what caused the spurious text to appear in the briefing.

One of the considerations that I weigh into developing a game are the players who are 'less than expert'. I try to present at least one easy avenue for those who struggle with the game - some things must be easy to achieve or use. When a Beta game is tested by expert players I have to temper their requests to make the game harder with the consideration for the less than expert players. I said all this to say that I think I will leave the special industries alone: they present an easy avenue for money.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote:the players who are 'less than expert'.
That be me. ^**lylgh
Thanks OC. :salute:
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Yes, I understand, it's good to make the maps for everyone. Thanks for making a Platinum medal for us more experienced players! !*th_up*!
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:
OilCan wrote:the players who are 'less than expert'.
That be me. ^**lylgh
Thanks OC. :salute:
It be me also. It's only with the last few maps I've moved up to normal on the difficulty.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

OilCan wrote:Thanks for posting the photo. I think I know what caused the spurious text to appear in the briefing.
Could you elaborate? I notice it too, but only if I use the arrow in the lower right to scroll to the next page.
OilCan wrote:One of the considerations that I weigh into developing a game are the players who are 'less than expert'. I try to present at least one easy avenue for those who struggle with the game - some things must be easy to achieve or use. When a Beta game is tested by expert players I have to temper their requests to make the game harder with the consideration for the less than expert players. I said all this to say that I think I will leave the special industries alone: they present an easy avenue for money.
That's the beauty of having a Platinum medal. You can feel free to set a much higher standard for achievement while still making an enjoyable experience for the average player. Right now, I'm sitting at the beginning of 1972, have the profit goal met ($290 M in profit), have 46 loads of oil delivered (with several 8-car trains en route), and 40-some cities connected. I have enough cash to build burn track with small stations to make the connection goals and be done as soon as the Platinum medal event fires. I suggest making connection between Anchorage and Kodiak a condition for Platinum. Well done scenario (0!!0)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Hawk
low_grade
Dispatcher

Re: Alaska - 1955 Unread post

First try at this one was pretty smooth. Not that it matters much, but I'm pretty sure a couple of the reward newspapers didn't actually pay my company...

Spent 1955 on industry, catching existing streams of ingots, livestock, and wool for warehouses in Purgatory, Tanana, and Bethel, upgrading, and buying the nearby 2 cattle ranches and corn farm and 2 sheep ranches.

1956 saw rail established between Fairbanks and Fort Yukon including Fort Hamilto, relying on the thirsty but reliable and quick V2.

Back to industry in 1957, many major investments including my first of several combination furnace+gunsmith in a town with a quarry and nearby ore, out in Togink looking ahead to connecting to Bethel through Tanana, which I completed in 1959.

And that's pretty much game over. Profits were never an issue, with continued industry investment and basically completing the rail network by 1964-1965. So I just had to wait for Oct 1968 to start sending locos down. In preparation, and because why not when sitting on $80M, I went all electric and replaced my V2's with EF66's. Still took to August 1974 for the 100th load of oil to find its way to Valdez... doh, I should have been running them all on priority. Also, demand from the wells to Valdez went flat a couple times which slowed things down. Maybe an additional platinum goal should be $500M Lifetime Profits... then I would have paid a bit more attention while waiting for oil...

Interesting map, but generous and easy once you get industry rolling, plenty of profitable rail routes shuttling around high value cargoes. I allowed some 5's and 4's, but most routes, with a bit of winding, could be kept to 3% and under grades. Another unique and enjoyable OilCan original! !*th_up*!

Also, sometimes the opportunity to build very profitable warehouses kind of ruins a game... But there weren't absurd opportunities here. I could have spammed Tannery and Furs a bit for the free meat and medicine, but without livestock around that didn't feel right. But still, perhaps an across the board +20% on industry build/buy would balance the game, and maybe +40% after 5 years...