New map: Gondor

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
YM4472
Hobo

New map: Gondor Unread post

This is a 1.06 map. The goal in this map is to haul goods and to make industry profits. The scenario takes place in Gondor, a kingdom of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. I wonder if some of you could test the map and give some feedback. It'll be really nice.
However, I don't know how to put the file in, can anyone explain that?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: New map: Gondor Unread post

Just zip it up and attach it to a post.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Sounds interesting. I'll certainly be glad to test it once it is posted.
thietavu
Conductor

Sounds very cool! :)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Logales
Watchman

Sounds interesting :)
YM4472
Hobo

I have the file here

Edited by Hawk: File deleted. It's now available in the archives.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I haven't actually played the scenario yet, but here are some observations from my initial look at the map and in the editor.

1) Work on the rivers a little more. Most seem to be flowing in the wrong direction.

2) It's generally preferred that the Gold event be set to test monthly instead of at the beginning of the year.

3) Maybe a little dialogue of some sort to explain the Orc Raid event.

4) Maybe add some story related events to make the map a little more interesting.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Overall, a fun game! !*th_up*!
I liked the way the resources were distributed on the map, some being scarce and some being held behind territories that the player had to buy access to.
I also like the 1830 era of trains....made for slow travel, but that added very nicely to the game's challenge.
The wide distances between most towns also added to the game's challenge
The rivers and mountains made me strategize the best routes. I enjoyed being able to punch tunnels through the mountains.

I have posted my final score. You can see the routes I chose on the mini-map. Profits from last 2 years are shown as well.
Gondor.JPG
May I suggest the following:
(1) Disable custom house in the special conditions
(2) Select at least one more train engine, maybe two (Adler, Firefly, Beuth)
(3) The north-central section of the map does not have any towns. Maybe add one or two towns to entice the player to build track into that section.
(4) Place the GOLD event before the SILVER event and SILVER before BRONZE. And as Hawk suggested, make the GOLD trigger at the end of the month. (The LOSE event should show years elapsed = 20)
(5) The ORC RAID event as written will not trigger. I am not sure what was intended for this event. Was all the track on the map to be destroyed or just the track in Mordor?
YM4472
Hobo

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll try to do the rivers (my experiences with those are, you set 1 right, 2 more will flow wrong)
I am generally not really good in making up good events, so if one of you got some good ideas, i will be glad to hear those!
For the rest, I will edit it as soon as possible
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Rivers can be a bit of a task to get right. Especially with as many feeding into one as you have.
It just takes some work.
If you get the junctions right it's a little easier, but river junctions are also a bit of a job. :mrgreen:

I could take a stab at them when you get all your other stuff done. Events aren't really my expertise either. OilCan is a lot better at it than I am. Maybe he can come up with some ideas.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Tolkien's Middle-Earth setting allows for some imaginative quests and events not found in other settings.

The player could be challenged to reach benchmarks in hauling a certain cargo, cattle for instance, to unlock new abilities for their railroad such as cheaper bridges, cheaper tunnels, faster trains, etc..
Building track through hidden territories may reveal artifacts that give wealth to the player, increased factory production, or make a future engine available for X years. The options here are numerous. The hidden territories may be scattered across the map.
Wraith attacks at random times may slow trains for 3-4 months at a time. Or place railroad workers in a spell that slows their load/unload times for 3-4 months. A severe attack could even change the game year.
The Queen of ___ may request that a far away city, maybe a city on an island, be connected by rail for a reward - or a punishment will take place if not achieved by a certain time.
The Lord of __ may request that steel be forged for the swords of Rangers. X loads of steel to leave Mondor would result in a reward.
A party of mischevious elves put all cattle into a trance and milk/cattle production drops 95% for a year.
The dwarves hold a festival in X city to celebrate cornonation of a new King - tavern, restaurant, hotel revenue increases 75% for a year. Passenger production increases for a year.
One or two cities could be strongholds which cannot be connected by rail (territories) until X number of other cities are connected, or X loads of ___ are hauled, or X company profit is attained.
Dwarves charge a high tax on railroad tunnels - causes tunnel track to increase 40%? in cost. OR for $500,000 you can hire dwarves to cut the tunnels, reducing tunnel track costs by 20%.

Just some ideas.
YM4472
Hobo

I have added some new events, I managed to do the rivers, and some new locs. I can't do much testing myself at the moment :-( , so I hope you guys wouldn't mind...

Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'm guessing you're going to wait for all the testing to get finished before you paint the terrain and water again? That's a good idea since repeated saves can degrade any terrain painting.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Hawk wrote:That's a good idea since repeated saves can degrade any terrain painting.
>>>>>>>Not any authority but just curious about the quote. If a scenario, or map, is saved, with additional upgrade, would a creator save "everything" if the scenario would be updated/upgraded by a change of version? **!!!**
:salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RayofSunshine wrote:
Hawk wrote:That's a good idea since repeated saves can degrade any terrain painting.
>>>>>>>Not any authority but just curious about the quote. If a scenario, or map, is saved, with additional upgrade, would a creator save "everything" if the scenario would be updated/upgraded by a change of version? **!!!**
:salute: {,0,}
That depends on what you mean by everything. If you're talking about everything that was a part of the map prior to upgrade, and the upgrades, yes, everything is saved.
Whatever you do to a map in the editor is saved, along with whatever was done to the map before.

What I was talking about in the comment you quoted was that if you don't save the map with a new name, the terrain painting will degrade a little with each save.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

YM4472,
Here are some comments / edits to help improve your game:

Status event – select as a condition “Force test against companies” and select “on screen player’s company only”. This will allow the player’s company information to appear on the status page.
Orc Raid – nicely done. This event will now trigger and work. I like the hidden territories for the raid.
Dwarf alcohol – reduce tunneling by only 40%. 140% will make tunneling free.
Elve News – the text is cut off because it is too long. Maybe use ‘Dialog’ instead of ‘Newspaper’ to allow all the text to appear.
Engine Choice – the effects for 1 and 2 should be “to human companies only” and not “to all companies”. This will make the player pay the fees.
Also, Game Variable 1 = 1, or = 2 and not ‘+’.
King Dead – set to ‘one time only’

Again, Gold Event first, then Silver, then Bronze in the event list. Use ‘Move Event Up’ button to re-arrange their order.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

And a few of my comments:

Needs more events as suggested by Oilcan. Something to keep interest during the game. I agree that tunnel cost reduction should be reduced somewhat.

Loco availability event should give some indication of what you'll get for your money; not necessarily by naming the engine, but by touting the "advantages" that either will bring. It's hard to decide whether to take the Elf's or the Dwarf's offer (or either for that matter) without having some idea of what you'll get for your money.

Although I like the scarce resources at the start of the game, it (in addition to the few number of cities/towns), makes it impossible for any AI to get a start (making addition of AIs rather pointless). I'm replaying with all 7 AIs, and several years into the game, not a single one has started a company.

The event for delivery of Alcohol to the Dwarves should be set to "greater than or equal to 25". Unless you deliver exactly 25, the event doesn't fire.

Passenger production spirals nearly out of control after about 10 years. That's good and bad. Good in the sense that Hotels/Restaurants/Taverns can be big money makers and a lot of $$ can be made hauling PAX, but bad in the sense that hauling them can overwhelm the transport of other cargoes.

This scenario has a lot of potential, especially with regard to re-playability with lots of choice events. I hope you can find the time to develop it further.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Not being a real Tycooner, I thought that the "farms" some what sparce, seeing that there is a LIP requirement. Otherwise I thought that overall, it is a scenario and creation worth playing. Good Luck with this and your future attempts in being a "user creator". !*th_up*! :salute: {,0,}

Usually I test Betas in Expert, this time with the conditions of farms being sparce, I only played in the Medium.
Did manage the Gold with 3 years to spare. 48 engines, all of the farms with demand industry. Hauled 2,114, LIP $18.8K, cash $8k. Accessed Mordor, as better than Rahen for cities and farms.

Now, although I did connect to the supply farms, I also connected to "houses". I called them "colonies" and did manage to make good hauls both ways. something new in my strategies. Normally less than 4 houses don't produce with much satisfaction. Will make an attempt in the Expert to see what I get in medals, or satisfaction. *!*!*!

As I commented. Good challenges, and am looking forward to the upgrades with OilCan has suggested. !*th_up*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

Hawk wrote: What I was talking about in the comment you quoted was that if you don't save the map with a new name, the terrain painting will degrade a little with each save.
Okay Hawk,
I guess that was what I meant by "everything". I believe that you had given the same comment years ago, but at times I find that I don't always remember what took place 5 minutes ago. LOL, but thanks for the reminder.

As for playing the scenario, I did not do as well as OilCan by completing the requirements in 11 years, but did manage the Gold in 14. Hauls of 2189 and LIP of $20.6K.

Now just waiting to see what upgrades will be made after OilCan's new items of suggestions.

An interesting scenario, but could use a few different challenges, as OilCan suggested. :salute: {,0,}
YM4472
Hobo

Sorry for not responding in quite a while... :-?
But I updated the map with some new events, and corrected the mistakes I made, that you guys thankfully noticed !$th_u$! !$th_u$!
Besides, I will do the terrain painting once I got all events working and approved by you guys