Coasta Calida

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
OilCan
Engineer

Coasta Calida Unread post

Costa Calida. A fictional coast land (modified from an area in Russia). 1.06 version. Two optional AI players.

This was designed to be an easy, fun game. Nearly flat terrain (but tunnels do help). Begins in 1930. No surprises. Great for a rainy day.

The goals of the game are to:
1. Connect 60 cities
2. Build a Company Book Value of $250M
3. End with zero Company Debt
There is a 4th optional goal $150M Personal Net Worth

No Silver or Bronze metals, only Gold. 30 years to finish.

Costa Calida has four countries of differing resources. The player chooses one country to start in and then must buy access to the remaining three countries (or takeover an AI company). Access is offered every 3 years.

The AI are active but not very aggressive.

No multiple companies. No train crashes.

This map is now available in the archives: Costa Calida
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Coasta Calida Unread post

Played this one a fair bit with the optional the PNW goal. I was playing no industry or bonds to make decisions matter more, maybe not the intent of an "easy" game. But if played that way it can be a little interesting to manage the phases of expansion/saving for territory rights, when and how to electrify or just go diesel, how to manage your portfolio through the CBV hits/boosts of the various bonuses, etc..

It's especially interesting to start in one of the southern territories where you will also be competing with an AI. At first I thought, "Why has the AI started in the same territory?" Later on I took a look to find that it's setup this way. Maybe this is due to wider/flatter spaces being more forgiving of their track-laying habits? Still, one managed to build a suspension bridge when connecting to Calvia from Ejido. Of course this lowered his earnings per share to make him an easy target for merger. :roll:
Costa AI suspension.jpg

I wasn't using bonds in my play, otherwise I can imagine it being not that difficult to take over one or both AI very early days before they get too many cash injections. Maybe this is intended. Something I guess is not intended: if you let the AI start a company before you do, the events that should restrict his access wont fire. Since you have more personal starting cash, you can then proceed to get a majority ownership, assume chairmanship, and sidestep any "access" considerations.

If you ensure to get a proper random seed, return to main menu after first map load when starting game, you might notice that the AI player characters randomize properly as well. This is quite good for the replayability of the map. Had a good time with one. Thank-you for sharing it. :-D

PS.
I think there is a minor grammar issue in the Pulling Power message: "train" should be plural.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Re: Coasta Calida Unread post

New scenario? Yes, please! Gave this a spin. Started with Victoria and went rail only, using my favorite little chugger of the era the Class P8 until the E428 was available then went all electric, upgrading to the E18 in 1936 and using those to the win with the extra PNW challenge on Expert in May 1952. As the author scripted in events encouraging bond issuing, I did so and took over the AI to the south. Bought into my neighboring seaside province in 1936, then when everything else was developed I took over the last AI. Last many years just letting my locos build me CBV and buying my stocks up.