Beta test map - West San Diego County

Maps that were never completed by creators that appear to no longer be active.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Re: Beta test map - West San Diego County Unread post

Yeah I noticed the bio-accelerators slug the game down, I'll probably remove them. I tried them on British Miracle V2 and the "very fast" went by half as fast. ^^ Just for kicks so... GONE on the next revise. And I will fix that date. I did modify the engine stats, each had three different things done to it. Check "bootup industry" in the events folder for details. Unfortuantely some of the settings are on "levels" rather than percentiles, so I could not gradually rise some stats. Reliability and acceleration are on "levels" while price, maintenence and speed are by percentage.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Has a "final" version of this one been posted yet?
coruscate
Dispatcher

http://www.healthyinsanity.com/railroad ... go1976.rar

Census is corrected. Added a couple of relatively minor, new events. Worked on the trees a little.
Last edited by coruscate on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Your link doesn't work (you forgot the Upper Case "S" and "D" in sandiego)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Is this an official update for the version on my site?
Does it require the new buildings mentioned in your other post?
Are the buildings supposed to be added to my site?

Please remember, I don't arbitrarily add stuff to my site unless the creator asks/tells me to.
Hawk
coruscate
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote:Is this an official update for the version on my site?
Almost. Seems Wolverine is hungry to play it so I'm going to let him run through it first.
Does it require the new buildings mentioned in your other post?
Nope.
Are the buildings supposed to be added to my site?
Not quite yet, once I'm happier with most of the skins I've got to stop and get the whole "beauty shot" thing down. THEN I'll ask you to upload them. What I should do soon is just make a HTML page for this stuff so I can list one single link.
Please remember, I don't arbitrarily add stuff to my site unless the creator asks/tells me to.
Yeah I know, I wouldn't want to try and "farm" a message board for randomly appearing content that I'd be obliged to find and post either 8P
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Great! Thanks for your reply. !*th_up*!
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

coruscate wrote:Almost. Seems Wolverine is hungry to play it so I'm going to let him run through it first.
Chompin' at the bit. I got it and will have at it ASAP.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Glad you're enjoying it.

If it's good the next two versions of this map and the next, fictional map I'm creating should work great.
coruscate
Dispatcher

http://healthyinsanity.com/railroad/

Wolverine, if you haven't played the version you downloaded just yet and are about to, go ahead and grab this one. Now that I have a mall I added events for all the mall openings as well as air field openings and the recessions I could find historical records for from 1945 onward (in preparation for the "mod" version of this map). This map has to have an average of two events per year overall, or about 1.2 if you stretch it all the way back to 1830. (Or was it 1848? I'll have to double check)

Hawk, still no need to update yet.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Sometimes I feel like "Monk."

I updated the map again, this time I seriously smoothed out some ugly areas, added several small city areas and shrunk other city parts respectively. Just about every major and some minor (just for the sake of completion really) "cities" are now represented in the game. The mall events boost cargo prices in "mall" territories, and the Comic Con event and some other tourism related events boost passenger prices in "torusim" territories. I also boosted the difficulty up to match the easier profitability of the line early on. San Diego is fairly accurately represented here and should make a fuctional rail line.

Trivia note: I used google maps and zoomed in on "Mesa Grande."

You know what I saw?

One house.

I saw side roads so I know that was the center of an area like mine, which is there, and people do come here... but it's a joke in size.
coruscate
Dispatcher

http://healthyinsanity.com/railroad/

As of 3:10 AM I pronounce this 1.5 compatible version that does not require any modded buildings of any kind and works with any version of Rt3... DONE.

Any further additions can be done "through" the second version of this map which I will use as the basis for the map right after that.

In this final edit I've set up events so that if you have the military installations connected by the Bosnian, Gulf, Afghanistan and Gulf II conflicts there's a larger jump in payout for you, the rail owner from troop movements and weapons and the like, and less penalties due to having to compete with the military for iron to build your rails.

I've set aside special areas for certain cities that have key historical events such as the annual San Diego County Fair in Del Mar, and I've tracked the San Diego Comic Con back further in time for passenger payout bonuses. Other key events set off tourist regions on the map and mall events set off mall events. My only complaint is that sometimes the ports and warehouses don't generate at all, then on another load, they totally will. Weird.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

A new version has just been added to the site.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Did you fix the Status screen? On the one I'm playing now (Dec. 5 version) the Status screen gives the old goals for Company Cash, PNW and Industry Profits.

(What's the deal with Cheese deliveries?)
coruscate
Dispatcher

Yes that is fixed in the current version.

And there is an event that's supposed to go off actually. Hit shift+E and down on the event list, very bottom is "CHEESE!"

Can't miss it :mrgreen:
coruscate
Dispatcher

Alright, not that I have to reinvent the wheel with a mod version of the map, but the level needs tweaking with the pressence of the mods. San Diego 1945 is available, it's "beta" so the events are programmed right but sometimes the industries that are supposed to pop up... don't. I also found out that waterside industries don't like being programmed to appear by the "add industry" command. in fact... they just don't appear. So... the Shipyard and Fishing Pier need to be added in pre-start city or region settings, or by manual addition.

http://healthyinsanity.com/railroad

It's a 1945-1976 scenario, I will add newer goals in the end but at the moment the goals are the same as the previous, with toned down money goals. I turned off the option restricting track placement and deleted the Escondido station, so if you want to play with my map jump in anywhere.
JayEff
Conductor

When you reach the new industry date, they don't necessarily pop up and take their place proportionally to your city recipes. They merely have a chance of coming in, more likely as a proportion of randomly generated new industries. You could get to the end of a scenario and only have a couple of these industries.

That is why it is important to consider your start date. If you want to include bauxite mines and aluminum mills, and your start date is 1910, you will start the game with zero. That is because the map will seed itself 3 years before, and run itself up to the start of 1910. And only now, beginning at the start of the scenario, is there a chance for these two industries to pop up.

Ports are very difficult to generate. Because their positioning is so fussy, there are few locations where they can occur. Large footprint buildings (steel mills) and farms have trouble getting established in mountainous areas.

Interesting that you have shipyards and a fishing pier in mind. In my current project I have two port recipes to take over these tasks for me. BTW even blank ports can be useful because they provide portals through which cargo can enter and leave the water.
coruscate
Dispatcher

JayEff wrote:Interesting that you have shipyards and a fishing pier in mind. In my current project I have two port recipes to take over these tasks for me. BTW even blank ports can be useful because they provide portals through which cargo can enter and leave the water.
This I didn't know. And what I'm talking about industries popping up I mean by event, not by randomizing. I've become fairly good with battling with large footprints, water and the like. Thanks for all the details.
JayEff
Conductor

If a building, any building, really must be there, then it should be placed by the mapmaker. Of particular importance are ports and warehouses at the beginning and end of a haul mission. They can also be randomly lost, so if you are really finicky, you can have a company take possession of a building.
coruscate
Dispatcher

The times I pre-built warehouses they didn't generate any loads even though they were in a region set for randomized ports as well...