Anthracite

Maps that were never completed by creators that appear to no longer be active.
belbincolne
Engineer

Anthracite Unread post

Been too busy for computer games this last couple of months so was pleased to see three new maps on the Forum.

This was the first one I tried. Afraid that it crashes at the end of 1st month every time - and, yes, I have got all the patches installed.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Anthracite Unread post

I've had a similar crash every time I try to save Arop's new map. Haven't tried the new Australia map yet, but I'll download Anthracite and see what happens.
belbincolne
Engineer

Funny isn't it - Arop's Tharein (?) is playing fine on mine so of the three latest one crashes immediately, one at first autosave and one is o/k.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I posted this in the Australia discussion....it's seems to be a problem with 1.06. Something with saving causes systems to crash...is why I went back to 1.05.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

So I tried Anthacite, Australia and Made in America. All three of them crashed when I tried to save. What gives?
nedfumpkin
CEO

Wolverine@MSU wrote:So I tried Anthacite, Australia and Made in America. All three of them crashed when I tried to save. What gives?
Like I said, something in the 1.06 patch. Although I can't play 1.06 scenarios now, I've had no problems since re-installing. 1.06 also messed up the editor for me.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'm really surprised at all the problems folks are having with the 1.06 patch. I've been running it for quite a while, ever since it was released, and I've not had any problems saving games, or anything else for that matter. **!!!**
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I wonder if it has something to do with the additional assets the scenario author has on his/her machine when the scenario is created. If there are things on the creator's machine that get saved, or referenced, perhaps if those things aren't on the player's machine, it could cause a problem.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Now that could be something there. Since most all of the new scenarios are sent to me for hosting, and I load them into the game to get the screen-shots for the web page, I generally add the additional assets that come with it as well, which would mean I have probably most all of the user created logos, rollingstock, etc.
The only ones I wouldn't have, that could be on the creators machine, are those that haven't been released yet, or are not required in any scenarios.

If that may be the case, would that necessarily be the cause of the 1.06 patch, or the addition of unused assets on the creators machine, that may even be a problem with the 1.05 patch on one machine and the 1.06 patch on another.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

I'm adding it here rather than opening new threads but
Africa & Middle East
Somewhere
Australia All The Way
all crash at end of 1st year - for me anyway.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This map can be found in the Base Maps section.

It loaded fine for me in 1.05 and 1.06 without the included logos, but I did not try to play it.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Belbincolne and Hawk,
This problem of "crashes or problems " has been one of my problems. Hence I due have a folder with such user creators scenarios. Being that a number of them did not seem to be a problem of other members, I just believed that it was my system, and why get involved with trying to remedy the situation. There are just, or at one time, so many scenarios being created, that it was not that important to, like I say, get involved with some thing which seemed to be "my" problem.

However, Bel, check the threads of that scenario causing the problem, to see if others have had the same problem, and if some members have given some suggestions as to a remedy. !*th_up*! :salute: {,0,}
Akarin
Watchman

What a great map. I had previously modified Mr Scott's Pennsylvania map with the new industries and pre-built lines for AI railroads, but never got around to turning it into any kind of scenario beyond what came with it (which wasn't anything but some historical tidbits and makes me wonder why that map isn't listed in the base maps alongside this one). I'm really loving the detail in this map though. This mapI want to turn into a scenario. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm going to have it focused on hauling coal.

First though I'm going to tweak the economy to create a better base map. I already planned this so far
  • Add buildings for 1.06 cargoes.
  • Add some historical industries to cities that need them (Coatesville should have steel mills, military depots in Lebanon and Mechanicsburg, Pharmaceuticals in probably Doylestown, weapons factories in philly)
  • Tweak to the ports/warehouses. Tailor them to focus on coal moving. They kind of already are, but I might need to free at least one up to create fisheries for the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.
  • New regions:
    • A region for the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays to include a fisheries port.
    • A south of Philly Delaware River/Upper Delaware region to include the medium port, chemical industries, and oil refineries.
    • I liked how the Pennsylvania map was split up into agricultural regions. I might do that for this map, rather than the single General Region, but I might just keep the General Region and add a few special cases instead. Maybe reduce produce, grain, and corn in the General and increase their intensity in a few select regions like South Jersey and the Newark Basin.
    • I'll probably have to create a separate region for Baltimore's port on the Chesapeake. On a quick run of the map I found Baltimore only had room for one port. Wilmington had the same issue, but that will be fixed with a Delaware River/Upper Delaware Bay region.
    • I'll probably want to modify the mineral resources region (the Iron region, but I'll include ore and crystals in there). I have fairly extensive knowledge of the geology of Pennsylvania so I'll probably do something off of that. From a quick glance it looks like the Iron region was distributed to keep farms from popping up on the ridges in the Ridge and Valley province. If that's the case I'll probably keep the Iron region as sort of no mans land on the ridges and create a new region for mineral resources. The mineral resources region might end up a bunch of tiny islands.
After I'm done all that I'll get into scenario writing, but that's for a different thread and forum. I'll probably start a thread once I tweak the base map. That being said, what's the minimal size needed for certain buildings like mines to be generated?