Weird prices bug

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
undertoad
Watchman

Weird prices bug Unread post

Has anyone seen this bug?

The price gradients on this map (the Flying Scotsman campaign) are all screwed up. If you look in the first picture, you'll see that my two stations (Bath on the left, with a Meatpackers, and Bath Cattle on the right with a Cattle Ranch) have a weird yellow zone of low prices around them. This zone is much smaller than the actual "reach zone" of the stations. Also, outside this weird zone, the price for cattle at the Ranch itself is higher than at the Meatpackers!
WeirdPrices.jpg
If you look at the second picture, which is the same situation zoomed out, you'll see that there's also a bizarre, uncaused high cattle price zone in East Anglia (that's the area NE of London, for my North American friends!). There's nothing there to demand cattle, but the price is around $445, whereas it's $260-odd at the ranch.
WeirdPrices2.jpg
As you can imagine this makes shipping goods to my meatpackers pretty impossible. I've seen this behaviour before on this map, with Milk. The price weirdness seems to settle down after a few months, back into the normal pattern. I've never seen this on any other map - though on other maps there is sometimes an extremely annoying mis-communication of price between e.g. a Steel Mill and a station which has it firmly in its catchment area - Iron at the mill is priced e.g. $70, but at the station it's e.g. $50, making it impossible to ship iron to the mill.

I'm using 1.05 Coast to Coast. Windows XP Pro.

Any ideas why this is happening?
undertoad
Watchman

Re: Weird prices bug Unread post

Another weird price blotch. This time it's Grain. Here's another of those strange high-price areas. The price difference between the inside and outside of the dark green "blotch" is about $20. So the price is higher in an area that contains 2 grain farms - and my Brewery demanding Grain down in the lower RH corner won't have a chance of getting any.
WeirdPriceGrain.jpg
What is maybe another symptom of this is insanely high prices for Meat and Milk. Sure, they're not very common on this map in this particular game - but surely $600 for Milk, at the farm gate, or $450 for Meat at the meatpackers is crazy?
undertoad
Watchman

I've just given up on this campaign, it's so buggy. I started a completely new game on it, and this happened again, with Livestock and Grain. What seems to happen is that a particular station (or, to be precise, an area just outside a station) suddenly becomes an enormous magnet for all the goods (of a certain type) on the map, for absolutely no reason. The visible effect on the Goods view is of a dark green blotch starting off as one isolated square of high price (with no green triangle demand sink), and then spreading and distorting prices further and further around it. For Livestock the price at the centre was typically twice as high as the normal price anywhere else on the map.

I thought the highest prices seemed to be at Service Towers just outside the stations, so tried demolishing them, but this didn't work.

It's impossible to supply your industries when this happens, so it's just not worth even trying to play this campaign.

Anyone else seen this?
Last edited by undertoad on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
nedfumpkin
CEO

When I play I don't really pay attention to price as much as I direct my cargo to where it is demanded. So I wouldn't notice that.
undertoad
Watchman

nedfumpkin wrote:When I play I don't really pay attention to price as much as I direct my cargo to where it is demanded. So I wouldn't notice that.
Thanks for looking! I don't know whether you focus on industry as much as I do in my games - but this bug makes running industry impossible. I've just spent $3m on an upgraded Meatpackers plant, surrounded by 4 Cattle Ranches about 1-3 cells away. Worked nicely for about a year - but now my trains are picking up Livestock from the meatpackers station and delivering it to the middle of nowhere for e.g. $100 profit per load! And the meatpackers can't even attract 0.1 of livestock from the ranch right next to it, so it sits there producing 0.0 every year.

I'm not sure what happens to the goods when they reach the "sink" - I think they just disappear into a black hole.

I suppose I could just pocket the $100 per load. But a big part of what I like about this game is setting up industries and running them at maximum profit. And the price gradients are just weird - not your usual $20-30 range, more like $100-$200.

EDIT: I think this is some bug with the way this scenario is handling price adjustments gamewide and for my company. I've looked in the Editor and asked for some comments over in Letters to the Editor, here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2217
nedfumpkin
CEO

Actually, I am very industry oriented in my play so I don't pay attention to prices by cells, only by station, and then only by necessity.

[spam]Me thinks you need to expand your RT3 horizons and come have a look at Trainmaster.....it is entirely industry oriented. Try out the pre-beta and the Persian Electric map....but there is a learning curve to it. :) [/spam]
WPandP
Engineer

I'm not sure what glitches might be causing the anomaly prices, but I can confirm that I've seen them too. One thing to consider is that the prices go up and down at a fairly slow pace, compared to how fast the loads can move around the same map (especially when delivered by trains). So, a situation that starts off with a mill in great demand of an ore, for instance, creates a great green target that starts pulling all kinds of ore loads toward it.

Over time, though, a big stockpile of ore builds up, as it pours in faster than the industry can process it. The stockpile depresses the value locally, creating a yellow doughnut hole in the middle of the big green ring that the mill initially created. Of course, such a hole will push the loads out, the mill will go idle until the value comes back up, and then the stockpile should return. That's all in theory, of course. Even in theory, one doesn't want to have a mill sitting idle until it attracts raw materials back to it.

So, the key is to make sure that the mills process as much as they receive. If the stockpile is building up, it's time to upgrade the mill, or build another mill, or else find a route to another destination to begin hauling the stockpile away. The Yard class structures that I pioneered and which are incorporated into TrainMaster offer one tool to help manage the flow of raw materials; one can deliver raw materials to a Yard, and who cares if a stockpile depresses the value there? Then, just feed the industry from the Yard as much as it can handle.

Of course, the Yards rely on the same underlying economic engine to work, so if you do stockpile a lot then they'll stop serving as a load magnet. In fact, due to their minimal demand, they are more sensitive than other buildings to local supply/demand. However, one can get around this by building more Yards, and hauling from one to another or other tricks. It will still be optimal to have industries that use up as much raw material as is delivered to them; the Yard is just sort of a "capacitor" that can help out.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
undertoad
Watchman

WPandP wrote:I'm not sure what glitches might be causing the anomaly prices, but I can confirm that I've seen them too. One thing to consider is that the prices go up and down at a fairly slow pace, compared to how fast the loads can move around the same map (especially when delivered by trains). So, a situation that starts off with a mill in great demand of an ore, for instance, creates a great green target that starts pulling all kinds of ore loads toward it.

Over time, though, a big stockpile of ore builds up, as it pours in faster than the industry can process it. The stockpile depresses the value locally, creating a yellow doughnut hole in the middle of the big green ring that the mill initially created. Of course, such a hole will push the loads out, the mill will go idle until the value comes back up, and then the stockpile should return. That's all in theory, of course.
Actually, I think what you describe is more than theory; I've seen it in practice in trying to manage a Steel Mill. As you say prices do take some time to adjust to the presence of a demand sink like a mill; I've got used to the idea that my $2m (?) investment in a mill will sit idle for a few months until the raw materials "find" it. One trick I've found effective is to "prime" the mill with some Ore and Coal (delivered at a loss if necessary - by "spoofing" the train destination to make it load and then sneakily changing its destination once it's under way). This makes the mill produce and gets the mill's "green arrow" operating more quickly.

I'm not sure I've seen an actual "yellow doughnut" visual effect when a mill stops producing. But what you describe must be happening, because once you let a mill stop production, the elasticity of the prices makes it very difficult to get resources to it to start it up again. Prices are elastic with respect to actual supply vs production at a mill, but inelastic with respect to potential production (=demand). (Oh, a bit like the UK labour market at the moment, but that's (*!!topic !)

Of course in time it will start up again; but as you can probably conclude from what I write I prefer to buck the market and keep the mill producing at 100% as much as possible.

There's a flaw in the game's economic model that makes Steel Mills even harder to manage. It's to do with one resource having a higher value only in the presence of another resource. This results in game-generated Steel Mills (which are often in really stupid places) dragging away Coal and building up enormous stockpiles of it, when they have absolutely 0 Iron to actually use the Coal on, and no chance of getting any! I can fully understand how hard it is for the game to realistically model the price of coal at a mill: it would have to take into account not only how much ore is there, but how much is on the way - by train or other means, or is likely to be delivered; which means moving from commodity pricing into commodity futures pricing.

But back to my main point, which is that these "price blotches" seem pretty obviously to be bugs, precisely because they're so extreme. As you point out, even a huge demand sink like a Mill only gradually forms a green high-price zone around it. These "price blotches", in contrast, appear suddenly, are extreme (as you can see from the pictures), and don't even have a green demand arrow inside them. I think I may have tracked down the cause (over on the other thread) to something to do with price modifiers being in effect: either game-wide ones, company-specific ones, or a combination of the two at once. The game doesn't seem to handle this properly.

PS I've downloaded your yards, but haven't tried them out yet.
PPS Yep I'd like to give Trainmaster a go - but I don't feel I've mastered vanilla RRT3 yet.