New map. THABORIA, beta version

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
arop
Dispatcher

New map. THABORIA, beta version Unread post

:-D I have the plesure to present my latest map, a fantasy map called THABORIA, This time I have tried to create a map with 4 National railway systems. It's your task to connect your system to the borderstations and build a nationwide railway system. You only have access to the borderstations in the neighboring contries and the AI's are prebuilt and have no access to your territory, a typical European way of running railways compared to the USA. I have played this map a couple of times and have made some changes and corrections. I believe, that the map is OK, but I can only guarenty by 90%, maybe some minor bugs can be found, but I haven't detected any yet. Started in 1875, and won the gold 1939, 11 years before time. :salute:

Edited by Hawk: File deleted.
Last edited by arop on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arop
Dispatcher

Re: New map. THABORIA, beta version Unread post

:-D Test report: I have just finished another test game. Started 1875, and won the gold in 1936, 14 years before time. I haven't detected any bugs or glitches yet.
brunom
Dispatcher

Still happens, arop.

This beta version also crashes at the end of year 1, as soon as the auto-save process finishes.

So I thought it was some problem with the ledger display, and loaded the scenario into the editor. Looked at the stats event and it seemed fine. Nevertheless, I deleted the event entirely and went to save as thaboria-nostatus, to see if the game turned playable.
At this point, the editor crashed to desktop as well. So it seems it is a problem with the saving. Might be some memory allocation thing - I run Windows7 64-bit.

At the editor I gave a quick look at all the events you had programmed. Shame I won't be able to play through them.

If anyone else under the same OS that I have manages to save/play, please share with us. I am puzzled..

B
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I just tried it on my rig (XP SP3) and it also crashes at the end of the first year.

Is there a loco or piece of rolling-stock that you have installed that the map might be calling for that others may not have installed, like maybe the one shown in the screen-shot?
Click on image to view full size
Click on image to view full size
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

:-( **!!!** CRASH TEST: Please try this version. If it doesn't crash, it would be fairly easy to reconstruct the prebuilt companies, there is a possibility, that I have made a bug around the access to territories. Attached to this reply I have also send a full list covering locomotives avaiable in this scenario. I hope it will solve the problem. If not, we could try an earlier version !hairpull!

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Still crashed at the end of year 1.
I'm guessing it's because I don't have all the locos installed.

Unfortunately, since this scenario requires PNW I probably won't play it so I see no need to take the time to go through the list of locos to see what I don't have. I just wanted to see if it crashed on me too. ;-)
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

CRASH TEST 2: Attached to this answer there is an earlier version of my new map THABORIA. I still hope there is a solution to the crash problem :-(. Please try someone out there! If this version doesn't crash, I can finish this map project!

RayofSunshine
CEO

My system is Windows XP, and would give the Thaboria a try, but I guess I am like the Missourians. You will have to "show me", as I don't see any indicator or attachment for a download. Won't be getting the cataract in the left eye done until Nov, so don't necessarily see much anyway. LOL
arop
Dispatcher

My problem with the THABORIA map is, that I don't have any problems **!!!** . Some say it crashes to desktop when saving after the first year. If others doesn´t have any problems, please tell me which version you have tried and I´m reeady to finish the work on the final version. I cannot check it out by myself. This is the reason I ask someone out there to make a crash test.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I still believe the problem is engines. You don't supply a list of engines needed. You only supply a list of the engines you used and leave it up to everyone else to figure out what they have and what they need.

If I get some time I'll try and figure out what additional engines are required for this scenario.

BTW! The 01 version still crashes.
Ray of Sunshine wrote:as I don't see any indicator or attachment for a download.
Look one post up from your last post. It's the 01.rar file attachment.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks Hawk, I had read the post, but failed to see that attachment.

Now I do not know what might be the difference, but I downloaded the 1.rar, and as usually, I saved the sceanrio as a New Scenario right away without any problem. Then a couple months of play, I did not have any problem with the "save". The same in Mar of the 2nd year.

The reason I mention of a difference, as I went thru all the paks which I had in my inventory, and loaded them into their respective "new engines" and the pak into the "user content etc". My reason was that of me having a problem with the Great Southern Railroad, which kept crashing. That was last night, so have not tried playing the Southern Railroad yet. At one time I had put a goodly number of "car lco lcot and pks" into a "folder" in the User Content folder. Hence there was not a "path". Dumb.

What I now have to update are the logos, but have not found the "instructions" as to where they should be installed. I am afraid that the "user content" is so full of paks, that it will overload. I remember some one mentioning a max limit. Still would like to know if the User Content is the catagory in the Data Folder.

Any comments appreciated, and will keep an update as to the progress with the Thaboria or 1.rar scenarion. :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If I understand what you're saying Ray, you are not having the problem of the scenario crashing at the end of year 1.
If I also understand further what you're saying, it sounds like you have installed a bunch of engines. That might explain why you don't have the crashing problem as I do.

The problem mentioned in this thread has nothing to do with saving the map. It has to do with the scenario crashing at the end of year 1.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Right now I am in the 12th year. When I mentioned that the scenario did not crash when it was being "saved", I may have been thinking of the Southern Railroad. Have yet to boot that scenario up, to see if I can get it to operate without crashing. It was suggested that either I may not have the correct engines or even buildings. ????

Anyway, I have an inventory of 391 items of lco,car,tender, and cgo. So far the only engines available is the Duke, Sterling, Consolidated, and the Shay. So that shouldn't be a problem to at least this point Hawk. I am a little confused as to the .cct extension for the Pass, Auto-carrier, Flatbed, and Box. At least as to what the .cct means. *!*!*!

Now I only have 43 pks in the 'user extra content', but not quite certain that this is the folder into which I should put the "logos".

Now Arop, although the cargoes of coal, produce, bauxite are being totaled, the require shows that they have to be hauled to Montanian, Bordurian, or Sylvanian. However, they are not on the map. **!!!**

I did accept the "dynamite" option, and was intending to build a tunnel from Ariza to Zhalwan, but remembered that tunnel maintenance is costly, and this was right in the beginning of play. Maybe I did build it later in the game, as the mountain was of considerable length. However, even though there are a considerable number of mountains, which I usually do not like, these are of a slope which are manageable, and especially with the Shay being available. Great terrain and painting. ::!**!
arop
Dispatcher

:-) Montania, Borduria and Sylvania are the neighboring countries, each having their national railway system with different locomotive types from the human player. The borderstations are Bhorcz (via a suspention bridge), Luz, Ariza and Corvena. Last time I played the beta version, I started in 1875 connecting Aroza to the Ariza, the Bordurian borderstation operating 4 Dukes, 2 mixed and 2 freight. After a few years I took a loan and extended the line (with tunnel) to Zhalawan via Ulo and Bira. I met the connecting demand a few years before time, building the lines with tunnels and all intermediate stations from the beginning. Later I had to face the problem, that Thaborian industry was quikly being bought up by the neighbours. I hope the first version will work for someone, it is the best one, but if only map 01 is OK, it still will be possible to reconstruct it to the beta version, although it will cost some work. !$th_u$! for trying, I still hope it is possible to make it all work :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It will most likely work if you can detail the extra required engines needed for this scenario.

I haven't had time to compare your list with what I have installed.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OK! I finally got some free time to go through the list of locos you noted in the list you attached to a previous post.

To the best that I can tell, here's a list of what I don't have installed, compared to the list you supplied.

Class 50 Hoover
GP35 Double
Class 304
Class 37
Class 42 Warship
EMD E-7
Ivatt 800 Hp (Class 15)
4-6-4 NYC Class J1a
0-8-0 USRA

Give me a little more time and I'll try to find these locos and see if I can get them installed and see if it stops the scenario from crashing.

Edit 1: Well, the only ones I found out of the list above are:

Class 50 Hoover - Class50.zip
GP35 Double - GP35double.zip
EMD E-7 - E7.zip
0-8-0 USRA - USRA080.zip

I couldn't find the others in the archives here.

I installed the 4 I found, checked in the editor to make sure they were checked in the locomotive list (the USRA was not, so I checked it), loaded up the scenario and - lo 'n behold, it didn't crash at the end of year one.

That's as far as I ran the scenario so I don't know if the other missing locos will cause problems later in the scenario or not.

This test was done on the 01 version!
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Sort of a word of advise. The AIs are real aggressive in the buying of industries. Their logos are all over the map. What I have found? Rather than laying track into an area which has your intended plans to basically buy the "supply" industries to haul them to the "demand" industry, "FIRST" buy up all those "supply" industries prior laying track. Even if they are showing "red"/no profit. Otherwise, and unless you "pause" the game while you complete the laying of track, build a depot, and buy the industry, the AIs will gobble them up, or at least buy a number of them before you have a chance. However, start asap as by the 12th year, there isn't much of which the AIs have not already bought

!*th_up*!
arop
Dispatcher

!$th_u$! :-D :-D :-D - I'm very happy that it works with version 01! Can I ask you to try the Beta version :?: If it works too, it won't take long until I can submit the final version (I have tested the Beta, and I only had to make minor changes). About the missing engines, they all can be found under "New Engines": NYC class J1a under HUDSON, class 304, Ivatt 800 Hp (class 15), class 37, class 42 warship (all British engines) can be found under "Modern British Engines 1-3" and "class 50". To Ray I can tell, that the fact Thaborian Industry so quickly is bought up by the neighbours, is an important part of this scenario, while much Thaborian industry (just as in Portugal, Spain, Cuba, Mexico and other early 1900 poor and political unstable Nations) was owned by foreign investors. In my last test game, I bought up the steel industry and build my own key manufacturing industries compeating with the existing, almost ignoring mines, farms and other minor ventures. Anyway I achieved GOLD in 1936, 14 years before time. As told I would be very happy to finish this project, and I have learned in the future to make a list, attached to the map, over engines used in coming scenarios.
:idea: Maybe it is about time to make a v. 1.07 covering a new version of the loco pack???
Last edited by arop on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The beta version made it past the end of year crash because I had already installed the engines I mentioned in my previous post. As I've been saying all along, the crash was most likely caused by the lack of some loco.

I highly recommend that you include a read me with this map telling folks what locos they need to install.
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

!$th_u$! very much for your assistance. Now I can present the full version of my THABORIA map (0!!0) . Any comments are velcome!

Edited by Hawk: Files deleted