Hauling Freight in Vista

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Hauling Freight in Vista Unread post

Thought this might be a bit of a challenge so decided to check it out. The concept is good, but I was a little underwhelmed. Nine and a half years to an Expert medal starting in 1849. The whole idea of building stations in the countryside is so exploitable. Basic idea of this play was to connect the Lumber port that seeded near Brighton to Lumber Mill east of Birmingham. This route makes money right away. In the second year I connected to the Textile Mill to the southeast of London once I got the second bond. The economy improved quite quickly which helped a bit, but the main thing that made me feel that it was quite easy is the double output of industries. Sure double the price, but that's taken away by double production as costs per load produced end up being lower. So industries are actually more powerful it's just a little harder to finance the first ones. I wasn't looking for the newly seeded industries, but I was lucky to see the first Dairy just after it seeded on the mainland. Bought it for 800k. It made 670k the first year, but as the price dropped a little there that cut back to just below 500k (normal economy) without any Corn.

My main industrial strategy was to build my own upgraded Textile and Lumber Mills next to those that I had already connected. This meant that those places were really pumping out cargo (for example, 32 Textiles per year) which kept the price there low and my trains made a good profit hauling cargo away. In fact I had to expand to new places as even prices in the cities were stagnant and had a big shipment of 20 trains mainly full of 40k plus Textiles and Lumber in year 9 that boosted profits to 7.1M that year. I believe that playing this to the potential of the resources on the map with this high output resources (3x normal output) is going to overwhelm all demands on the map pretty quickly. On the industry front I managed to build a Tool and Die, then a Distillery, followed by two more Tool and Dies, but that was the end of the game. I never even thought about taking a book value hit from buying access to any cities. That would be a serious setback. There is mention of the express cargo paying well. Sure, but you need at least 3 cities and preferably 5 connected and then wait a year or two for passengers to "discover" the route is active.

What can I say, good concept. Fun to play with high output industries and farms/mines, but not a challenge as far as the economy. :-)
Orange46
Dispatcher

When I did this scenario I was frustrated about not being able to do anything above the 1.04 beta patch because of the early Vista problem . Also, since it was inspired by Thomas the Tank Engine (and Grandma Ruth) I didn't make it too hard. The concept was better in my head than in the actual playing.
Quality is Job 1.01
RulerofRails
CEO

I guess I should have figured that the comments about it being "difficult", were because the map's setup isn't well suited to a simple "auto-run" network. Also, better understanding about the industrial economy gives a definite edge. But, still the comments that a restart might be necessary for a Gold on the easier levels made me curious as to why that was said.

I hope I don't assume wrong, but it seems that you are one of the players who got into the tight micro-managing side of the game. Making maps that drastically slow expansion down in the later game with things like taxes and high overhead. I am curious about your methods for micro-managing? Did you find methods that didn't feel like work?

Did you ever try playing TM? I found that my freight revenue was helped enormously by utilizing some of the methods I put in place to control the cargo flow to satisfy TM's finicky demands (0.2 loads per year for example). The basic idea is PREVENTING cargo from reaching a certain area or being picked up at a particular station while not relying completely on custom consists which pay no regard for demand as they ship-at-a-loss. In simple terms: trains that return empty. This helps to keep cargo concentrated. The other trick I utilize is bulk shipping. This is especially easy with cheap early engines when engines can be regarded as "disposable". Basically send everything off at the same time before the price at the destination drops. Combining these two methods I can keep a fresh demand even for somewhere that I have connected awhile ago as a SUPPLY site of a particular resource and then once I am ready to use it as a DEMAND site send lots of loads there at a great profit. Basically when the price is stagnant over your current demand sites is a good time for a new one. These methods in my opinion give greater benefit than even micro-managing can. And it doesn't feel like work, for me at least.

P.S. By the way, around a month ago I tried out North America through the Centuries starting on the west coast but found that the terrain is pretty rough, so didn't finish it. It's not the mountains per se, just the fact that even the flatter areas within the mountains can be impossible to build over without getting 8%+ grades. Maybe I have been spoilt with the later maps, but I enjoy being able to get a bit lower grades when I make more curves on a route. I made some wooden bridges to carry the rails above the convolution below, but that sort of felt like a cheat and dampened my ambition to continue. I know you didn't make the map itself, but did you ever consider smoothing some of the roughness from the cells?
Orange46
Dispatcher

Re NAttA, I did some smoothing, esp in the east, but never ever tried to start in the west (hmmm, maybe someday I should) because of the terrain. That scenario was a reboot of the same concept for RT2, but the new cargo and esp express system along with rarely needing to double track (even wooden bridges survived into the 21st century) made it impossible to replicate, so it plays very differently than the RT2 version. I think that the RT2 version is still my favorite of all scenarios even tho I prefer RT3 v 1.06 over everything else. I had to do 4 Roads to Berlin to achieve the traffic jams that occurred in the RT2 version of NAttA

As for TM, I really don't like micromanaging individual loads in the mid and later game and i would have loved TM if it was in the RT2 universe where cargoes stuck with their industries. I also had problems keeping TM working - it would work for a while and then crash, such that I had to reinstall. After this happened a few times I gave up.

Some day I will get back to RT, but for nowI am catching up on other series that I have long neglected. Heroes changed it's name and I just discovered that the series didn't die, so I have Heroes of Might & Magic 5, 6 and 7 to play. OK, I am about to finish the 1st the 3 games in the gold pack for 5, but I started that 3 months ago. Of course, what I really want is RT4 where trains don't get lost (most train games except RT1,2 &3, where cargoes stick to their industries, where game speeds can be reduced to real slow so that I can train watch, ....
Quality is Job 1.01
RulerofRails
CEO

Is there a thread here for 4 Roads to Berlin? Half-way through it (for the first time), but have to let it rest for a bit. It's 1912 and I recently completed the major building part (1910), up to 100,000 on the hauls. I am interested in how people started this map. I waited about a year and a half until I saw a good Milk demand ready to be exploited before laying any track between the closest 3 cities with all Large Stations. Anyway, just wondering what others did as you made a good starting challenge.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

No. Feel free to start one though, in the 1.05 Scenarios forum.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

I Didn't completely remember having played this scenario, but when I went in the Archives I didn't find it in Other Lands. So I tried it in NA, and did find a Find It by Paul Graf. But, in either case I did not find the Haul Freight by Orange46. Hence I checked into my CD inventory, and did find it under "Other Lands". Any comments? :salute: {,0,}
Orange46
Dispatcher

Haulin Freight is in Great Britain, so try the Europe maps.
Quality is Job 1.01
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks Orange46,
Will have to download it to my new inventory of GB. It has been a time, but wonder the reason I have it burned to Other Lands previously? **!!!** But that is a good reason I couldn't find in the Archives as OLs or NA scenarios. ^**lylgh

Thanks again. :salute: {,0,}
Orange46
Dispatcher

Maybe you realized that it should have been a map of the island of Sodor. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... swolfe.png
Quality is Job 1.01