Gibraltar Express: reviews/testers wanted

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Sugus
Engineer

Re: Have you played Gibraltar Express? Unread post

I gave it a try just now. Started in Cordoba and connected most cities in this starting region, especially Cordoba, Sevilla and Cadiz, which have to be done within the first six years. Everything developed fine, but at the beginning of 1997 - game start is 1880 - I was told to be a loser, because I didn't connect the three cities mentioned above within the first six years! !hairpull!

Due to a short inspection by means of the editor I think, that the event 'Survive: Cordoba' should be checked for me (the player) only, and not for any player lurking around onto the map. Maybe there are other "mistakes" like this one, but I didn't verify anything more ...

... and now stay awaiting for a corrected version, because - from my point of view - it's an interesting scenario. !*th_up*!
There's no business like RT business ...
brunom
Dispatcher

Indeed there was that glitch in the programmed event, Sugus. But the triggers should not allow for what you are saying... a player variable of a lurker would have to be a specific value, different from zero. I also wonder if you played to 1997 or if you mean 1897 (probably 1897).

Did you take over another company? I am wondering how/why the stuff you report can happen...

*** EDIT ***

Just went back to other events in the scenario... I had entered the "choice of territory" for all players, which I presume includes AI... LOL... does that mean AI also needs to answer choice-events.. ?? Does any expert know this?

Probably so - I mean, this would explain why that loss happened to you, Sugus, but not in any of my testing (I did test the game from the point of view of all the territorial choices, mind you)... It might be related to the AI choices at start (I wonder, I wonder..)

Anyhow, I have made the changes so it won't happen again. Will send to Hawk revised version number 2, along with an ashamed apologetic speech about releasing poorly tested scenarios.

Thanks for the attention to detail, Sugus!

B
RayofSunshine
CEO

Hey Bronum,

I don't belileve that you should make an apologetic remark to what you say was an inadequate amount of testing. I do recall a goodly amount of testing for this scenario, as well as I believe that MSU gave a considerable amount of suggestions as well. Having hleped to test a number of scenarios, no matter how careful, there always seems to be some thing "unforeseen" of either in clarity of the goals required, or in the process of programming, that a wrong "key" is punched, changing the desired result.

At the time that I had completed attempts, and finally managed to get the GOLD, other changes were suggested, so I don't know what glitches or errors were found thereafter.

I do believe that this is a very interesting scenario, and as everyone has their own way and system of playing, there are always comments. :salute:
brunom
Dispatcher

Thanks Ray.

I am a little bit of a perfectionist, I have to admit - besides being a "stubborn know it all", but I digress...

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be a repository of strategies. Where did you start, how did you play it, how well did you do?

B
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay Bronum,

your quote:
Anyway, this thread is supposed to be a repository of strategies. Where did you start, how did you play it, how well did you do?

Is this a question directed to me, or just a statment to the general members who played it?

If directed to me, I would have to go into our PMs to ""update"" my memory. That is, if they are still in the "file". And I usually throw away my messages, as I believe each creator keeps their progress of the programming in their own archives.

Will check the PMs in the meantime. :salute:
brunom
Dispatcher

Not directly to you, Ray :-)

But "also" to you. It's nice to read how other people tackled a scenario.
I realized the downloads page has a link to the reviews forum. However, that is more of a development discussion than a real review and discussion about the game play.

That's what I was hoping for in here, to gather a few posts about the scenario that would be interesting for the player who just downloaded the map. And I didn't want to write stuff myself - it would be a little self-centered of me, to make the scenario, write the review and share strategies to beat it.

Hence, the call for "other voices". .. ;-)
B
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay, and after the above post, I checked my PMs and found that I had deleted them. SO here is what I can remember:

Selected the Sultan of Oran, so that gives me access to Marrakesh terr. Marrakesh is also a required cnn city, so 1st laid rail to El Jadida, thereby running spurs to grain fields to supply a Brewery in Marrakesh. The next laid rails were to Casablanca, as it is the 1st task, and to be done in 6 years. Thereafter tracks were laid to all the rest of the cities in the Marrakesh terr. The revenue of which enabled me to gain access to FEZ. During the time duration I did manage to make a bond issue. As there was in incline to Marrakesh, I used the Duke, and having had some bad results of placing maintenance East of the Rvr, this time I placed it West, plus using dbl track from the depot to the bridge.

Once getting access to the FEZ terr, I made cnn to Rabat from Casablanca, and operating trains to most of the cities in the Marraakesh terr. The revenue of which hellped to lay track to Tanger via a couple of enroute cities. An AI had access to both Tanger and Cebta, but ran tracks parrell to gain access to the Gibraltar Strait and thereby an avenue to the terrr of Cordoba. But 1st, I made cnn to a number of cities in the FEZ terr, and to Tara and Ouijda for coal. Eventually it was to supply the steel mill in Cadiz. Another bond issue to gain access to Cordoba, with tracks to Cadiz, and Seville. Both had steel mills, so with the iron in the Seville area, and the coal from the FEZ terr, I was able to haul steel to the FEZ terr, and haul coal on return.

Eventually the revenue was adequate, with the help of some bond issues, to gain access to the Valencia terr. And during this phase of the scenario, I was able to have laid 6G of track. Due to the steel mills being in this terr. track was laid to Leon, which had supplies of iron. With the supply of coal from FEZ, and both coal and iron being avaiable in the Cordoba terr. the supply of steel was adequate for the requirement from Cadiz, Seville, and Cordoba. Laying track to gain the access to Zargoza terr and Zargoza itself. Following along the mountainous area along the Valencia coast, I was able to cnn to a number of coastal cities, mostly for the revenue.

There were a periodic number of crashes, but I maintained a goodly number of engines. Once into the Zaragoda terr. There was more availability of coal. But by this time I had also gained access to the Oran terr, and although the supplies of coal and iron at some distance from cities, they helped in the demand for the steel mills, and also the terr had some oil industries. Hence I had oil hauls to the Cordoba cities, and steel in the return to the FEZ terr. Naturally I was able to attain the 8G of laid track.

Although I do not remember the amount of revenue for CBV, LIP, or PNW, I did manage to get the GOLD just short of the time llimit. This version was basically the same as the original version, with the exception of Zargada being 1 of the goals rather than the city of Leom. I do believe that the initial version was slightly more easy, but both were very interesting and somewhat a good amount of challenge. Enjoyed both. :salute:
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: Gibraltar Express: reviews/testers wanted Unread post

Have spent some time reading the trends, but did not find my problem answered. In my earlier attempts, I did not seem to have the problem, as I did not make mention of it. So question:

Being that the requirement is 6 years to connect Zaragoza in spain, to that of Marakesh in Africa, how can a player cross basically the "straits of Gibraltar, when the "expanded high bridge" does not come into play until 1895? **!!!**

Maybe I am missing the "exact" crossing points, but as yet, not able.

Help appreciated. :salute: {,0,}
RulerofRails
CEO

I had a look. Let me try to explain.

When starting the scenario, you need to choose a territory. For each territory you are required to connect two or three cities within that territory before 6 years are over. I do see the difficulty because, the Ledger page doesn't make a mention of which ones are required, you must remember/write it down. Alternatively, even if you forget you could always connect all cities in your territory within 6 years.

The info in the Ledger is for the main medal, this is independent of the 6 year connection requirements, so that it's possible to chose any territory to start in. You only need to do the Zaragoza to Marrakesh connection within 50 years. You need to lay a lot of track here. Build your network up if you need to wait for a little bit. After all it's impossible to make Diesel before 1900 anyway. :-)
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks RoR for that info on the required cities having 50 years for their connection. Guess I just read the instruction incorrectly, believing that they had to be connected in 6 years. Don't always get them straight at times. :salute: {,0,}
low_grade
Dispatcher

Gold on Expert Sept 1913, just waiting for Steel to trickle in. It was a real bugger getting coal and iron to sit on the same mill with all my trains on autoconsist. Plus I was playing a game to see how much PNW I could amass ($221M) which gave me reason to not issue stock, to make it more of a challenge. So I let a few years go by without trying too hard.

There seemed to be a glitch, the "regulations" were firing every year, though at first I had 40 and then soon over 50 towns once that event started firing. Ah, I see, once I reached 50 connections and got to the 95% level of avoiding regulations, there are 11 separate events that check annually on that 5% chance. Which almost guarantees one of them will fire. Annoying, could be fixed.

I started in the land of Fez just going blind into the scenario. Not much to work with, but my credit is uprated. I start with Safi to Casablanca and a textile mill on some wool near Beni Mellal. Only one Stirling manually routed the first couple years. Maybe not the best choice, as it took some time for the textile mill to pull wool from two other nearby sheep ranches, and the was no cargo to speak of on the coast. Slow start to be sure. But wait a few years, credit rating continues to rise, wool starts arriving, and I can expand to Marrakesh and Essaouira, which generates enough profit to get me over the hump just as credit is going A, and I bond out ridiculously. Buy into neighbor, blah blah blah, expand east waiting for 1895. Diesel in Ain Oussara.

Somewhere after I crossed over into Spain I bought one of the AI's just for fun. I had been buying into AI's more than my own company, and had majority in this one with book value $28M. I noticed its chairman was in the red by $4M... He was also into my company... I issued stocks twice, sold out my shares of stocks in his company, and laughed my ass off when his broker called! :lol: He finished the game with -$173K. I bought back into his company enough to regain controlling shares and then bought it for like $15M. With the cash I bought into a majority in my own company finally as the broker call forced the guy to sell all his shares in my company, too, causing the price to collapse. That was right devious of me! :twisted:

I sold a lot of industries in this scenario, oddly. I overdid the textile mills around Beni Mellal, I was up to 3 upgraded for some reason (big stacks are temping for quick cash...) but the wool went elsewhere or something. And the Oil Refineries. Kept the oil wells, of course, and the great profits hauling diesel out of Ain Oussara, and half my cash back. Then when I bought the AI a ton of his industries were losers. So it looked like I was losing money and my stock tanked, and I bought in more, when really I was shifting cash from under 10% return to over 20%, I feel like I played a fast one here, too, lol!

Overall, just from a first attempt, aside from the one "glitch," very nice, long-play scenario! It took me 31 years, and I was developing my network all the way up to just the last few when I knew I had it but was just waiting for steel. It got me to do a few things I don't normally, which is always nice. The terrain is terrible, but it forced me to make compromises and I got the connections done. I even allowed sections of 8 and 7 grade in the rough jagged tracks I laid as best I could in places, and generally with the P8 was permissive of a couple 6's here and there. 5's for stretches if needed, and 4's without thinking. There were still many cities I consider unreachable, which is unfortunate. A bit of path smoothing maybe...