Transport Fever 2

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Orange46
Dispatcher

Transport Fever 2 Unread post

I am still in the campaign with 112 hours played and I have enjoyed each and every one of the 16 missions that I have completed. The graphics and game play are all much improved from the 2 prior versions. Depending on what happens with future support, user content and free play (which I have yet to touch), this game could replace Railroad Tycoon 3 as my all time favorite game. (Sid's Civs are a close second.)
Quality is Job 1.01
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Transport Fever 2 Unread post

Ah, so there is a good amount of scenario driven content? I haven't tried it myself. Not sure if I could get used to Trucks/Buses aka wagons.

Funny enough I was playing a couple of your RT3 scenarios this week. Crystal Cotton original version and NA Railroad Sim (just starting attempts where I'm testing increased train running costs). I was wondering what role the AI are supposed to play in NA Railroad Sim especially? In any case I noticed that the 1st ledger in Railroad Sim should check "on screen player's company only."

PS. I'm curious if you ever tried the South Central British Columbia scenario? I did some fixes on the scripting about 6 months ago. I will probably wait 1 year if somebody reports a problem, so far so good. It features probably the most complicated scripting in any RT3 map with about 600 events, and the author, JSS, went with a map design that naturally limits RT3's normal re-hauling madness. People complained in the past that it was a toughish start, so when I was playing your maps I thought maybe it's something you could appreciate. Fair warning that there is limited track and a tightly scripted path in the beginning.
Orange46
Dispatcher

I have not installed RT3 on my latest computer so it may be a while before I get to play South Central, especially since the last time I installed RT3 my PC would not recognize my CD with the very first edition of RT3 on it.

As for AI's, I never actually tested AIs but left them in for those who like having AI RRs to either abuse or be abused by. Of course, in 4 Roads to Berlin, Rail Baron East and Bridging the Mississippi, AIs were critical in creating chaos, but those were scenarios in which I was trying to create the traffic jams that RT2 frequently resulted on wooden bridges in the original North America thru the ages (version 3 of which is NA Railroad Sim in 1.06).

The thing I don't like about Transport Fever is that it doesn't seem to have a friendly editor to create or modify maps and that is what I really loved about RT2 and RT3, so now you have got me thinking...
Quality is Job 1.01
Orange46
Dispatcher

Now, at 210 hours I am going to take a break. I continue to enjoy the game, but wish that it's economic model was better. The crow flies model and low track vs high vehicle maintenance costs really discourage running busy railroads, where multiple trains share the same tracks. It's fun to ride a train in other games like Railroad Tycoon 3 or Railway Empire and see all the activity on both the main and branch lines. But, to do that in TF2 you need to play on an easier version, but then you lose the fun of having to make difficult strategy decisions because you have run out of cash. Yes, TF2 does give you tractor trailers which do run on busy roads, but nothing beats a train.

The best part of the game is the 18 campaign scenarios. It's too bad that no one seems to be able to develop new scenarios. That's where RT3 is king. Tons of user scenarios. There was even a CD published of 100 user Scenarios for RT2. The RT series map editor used drop down menus to make map editing possible for non programmers (or should I say coders).

Many user maps have randomly generated cities. I find those boring, but 3 cheers to the map makers who have given us real cities. Just having the 18 campaign maps available for free play (with its hard level) would be enjoyable.

I still recommend this game and intend to return to it often, especially to see what new maps have been added.
Quality is Job 1.01
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I played Transport Fever a lot, but I watched a few videos of TpF2 and it didn't impress me a bit. Seemed to me to be a dumbed down version of TpF so I won't be buying it.

I do have Railway Empire but it is a bit limited in what you can do.
Hawk
Orange46
Dispatcher

It seems to be easier to manage things in TF2. You can add or delete cars or engines on individual trains without going back to the shed. On hard, you can actually make money on less than perfect routes. Yeah, I know, TF was more like one of my RT3 scenarios, but in TF you can't ignore existing lines for too long on hard before things start to go wrong (at least for me), so slightly easier is a plus for me. The graphics also seem to be better.

It's too bad that my PC won't handle the extremely large experimental maps, as there is a very large USA map with very low population cities (just like in some my maps) that I was making glacial progress in that I had to stop because of too long loads and finally lagging while playing - and I had only connected 2 cities by rail and the rest by boat or horse cart from Northeast Canada to Boston.

Oh well. I have taken a break and am now fighting alien forces in Age of Wonders: Planetfall. But, I still keep thinking about what to build next in the Free Play Europe map that I am in. Rail to Istanbul, more north sea oil ships, or perhaps my first airline. It is 1927. Hmmm - London to Istanbul.
Quality is Job 1.01
Orange46
Dispatcher

What might make this game better?

Advanced industries in real life are located in towns. Move them there and let the citizens work there. (And how about some road traffic from the basic industries, letting them have a life down on the farm.) Add a small cargo loading area at the road entrance to each industry, eliminating the need to build a bulky truck station for cargo pick up. Also add the ability to upgrade all industries by adding a siding track and a loading platform, similar to upgrading railroad stations.

Cargo pricing is not realistic and leads me to just build straight roads and tracks to everything. Anything else seems to lose money on hard. Could cargo price rates instead be based on the least costly mode for transporting the goods using the actual roads, stations and docks currently in play at the time of shipment and using the latest vehicles available? It would help if the initial map build contained dirt roads connecting all towns and basic industries. Perhaps on the easiest level, cargo prices could be based on the actual mode used to transport the goods.

Railroad freight stations should be able to store all advanced industry cargoes simultaneously, so that scheduled freight trains could come and load those cargoes that are needed along the train's route. Then, all cities could demand all cargoes. In 1850 not all cargoes should be demanded. Add them in when appropriate. In 1850 all cities should want grain, coal and whatever in addition to some finished goods. Give us something to look forward to.

The relationship between track, engine and railroad car costs discourages running multiple trains on the tracks. Car costs are extremely high relative to engines and track building costs are extremely low making it cost inefficient to run more than 2 trains on most lines, since stopped or slowed trains incur huge costs relative to track maintenance costs for dedicated lines. But, that kills the joy of watching busy lines, from both above and inside the train. In my latest game, I have just one double tracked section so far with 2 passenger and one freight train sharing the space, along with just one railroad crossing built early in the game because there wasn't enough room to build a crossover bridge. These are the most fun parts of the railroad to watch. Perhaps the cost relationship could be changed as the difficulty level increases.

Yes, I like the game. Make me love it, as I loved Railroad Tycoon 3, but please, no ghosting, except maybe on easy.
Quality is Job 1.01
Orange46
Dispatcher

FYI, there are now 17 posts on Steam to to the original of this thread!
Quality is Job 1.01
RulerofRails
CEO

So, they approve your review? :-D Still didn't try TpF2, but nice analysis of limitations in game mechanics. In the end the limitations of mechanics, once I understand them, end up defining gameplay for me. Railway Empire has them too, as of course do RTII, RT3, and everything else.

Maybe a bit "pick your poison", although well made story/task-driven scenarios and a tycoon, "rags to riches", theme distracts me a lot from focusing on deficiencies. IMO, even SMR! is worth playing for the few custom high-quality scenarios that exist. The authors understood some of the deficiencies and did what they could to limit the downsides. :-)