Gambier Archipelago, French Polynesia

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Polynesia Rail
Watchman

Gambier Archipelago, French Polynesia

Unread post by Polynesia Rail »

Situated 1800 km (!!!) from Tahiti, The Gambier Archipelago is an enormous lagoon with many islands inside!!! It's a true paradise, and I will visit the Gambier Archipelago during my French Polynesia trip in August. I'll have to take a plane from Tahiti to reach the Gambier. (Air Tahiti)

I'll show you a video now, it's in French, but you'll love it! It's from this site:

http://www.ica.pf/articles.php?id=332

But someone uploaded it on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmDHtwGHWIk

It will take a long time to load, but, as I said before, you'll love it! Just pause the video at 0:00 and wait until it has finished loading! !$th_u$!

David (0!!0)
Polynesia Rail
Watchman

Re: Gambier Archipelago, French Polynesia

Gambier Archipelago Mass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF2hclQfEKE

(Only interesting from 0:00 to 0:56 :mrgreen:)

Please watch the 2 videos and tell me what you think! Nobody posted any comment! :-(

Thanks, David (0!!0)
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post by Gwizz »

I enjoyed the links. I often use the net to take virtual vacations.
One of the links led to another that showed a man living in a tropical area in a very modest home. No power lines, etc. I thought what a simple yet pleasant way to live. Then at the end of the video was a scene of him driving a newer looking John Deer tractor with two plastic cans of fuel in the bucket, possibly to run a generator that possibly supplied electricity to run a TV, etc. etc. etc. There was an box on the back if the tractor that looked like it could be a freezer. The tractor may also be the generator. That last scene modified my perception of a video of a man living a simple life.
Yet that may well be a good way to have a simple life and still have a few luxuries.
Last edited by Gwizz on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stoker
Engineer

Unread post by Stoker »

I have a friend in a remote part of Oregon who lives 30 miles up the Rogue river, another 10 miles up the Illinois river, a mile past the end of the road and then across the river, which requires a boat to cross. After going through all this trouble to live "in nature" a large part of his day usually consists of watching satellite TV run by a gas powered generator . *!*!*!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Polynesia Rail
Watchman

Gwizz wrote:I enjoyed the links. I often use the net to take virtual vacations.
One of the links led to another that showed a man living in a tropical area in a very modest home. No power lines, etc. I thought what a simple yet pleasant way to live. Then at the end of the video was a scene of him driving a newer looking John Deer tractor with two plastic cans of fuel in the bucket, possibly to run a generator that possibly supplied electricity to run a TV, etc. etc. etc. There was an box on the back if the tractor that looked like it could be a freezer. The tractor may also be the generator. That last scene modified my perception of a video of a man living a simple life.
Yet that may well be a good way to have a simple life and still have a few luxuries.
Hey! I just wanted to tell you that the man you saw actually lives in the Gambier Archipelago too!

It's thios video you saw, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERnMRaSn7H0

He lives on Mangareva, Gambier Archipelago! Mangareva has over 1000 inhabitants who live a very simple way of life, but they do have telephone! Many people on Mangareva live of Pearl Industry! :-D

I'm so happy to visit Mangareva this year! (0!!0)
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post by Gwizz »

Yes that is the video I watched.

I have a nephew who built a house near the end of a road in Oregon so he could hunt in his back yard. He used a camera more often than a gun. A few years back, a mother deer was hit by a truck near his house. He raised the baby with freedom. His dogs protected it as it would sleep with the dogs.
As it got big, it would protect his house from wild animals and also the young calves at a nearby farm. During hunting season the farmer would lock the buck in his barn to protect it from the hunters. During the third hunting season it got out and never came back.