oh! that wooshing sound!

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: oh! that wooshing sound! Unread post

You'll need to zip it up first though.
Hawk
cheminot
Brakeman

That's the point! I don't get the upload button anywhere!!!

hawk: of course!

Stoker: Audicty looks like a Really cool sound editor, but it didn't work for me. The Windows Sound Recorder did the trick, though.

Should there be a difference about TM? I'm getting into TM more and more!! I mean the sound tracks are any different from 106 to TM?

Black: merci, I shall try that, seems the way to go. Shall try it tomorrow as it is after my bedtime.

Merci!
"He who knows that he doesn't know anything, knows a lot"
jewish proverb
Blackhawk
CEO

This upload should show you were to look for the upload button to attach a file to a post.
Attachments
upload1.jpg
upload1.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
cheminot
Brakeman

blackhawk !$th_u$!
right under my nose and didn't see it *!*!*! more than dumb!!!
so here it is:
just backup your 'noisy rt3SoundNature.pk4' file in your RT3\Data\sound folder (just in case).
copy the new file in there and that's it!

BTW, it works in TM just fine, but I don't know about v1.05 since I never use it.
Attachments
RT3SoundNature.zip
(2.68 MiB) Downloaded 238 times
Last edited by cheminot on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jewish proverb
Blackhawk
CEO

cheminot wrote: Should there be a difference about TM? I'm getting into TM more and more!! I mean the sound tracks are any different from 106 to TM?
Finally remembered to check on this so I could answer it. It appears that the file size of the pk4 file in 1.05, 1.06, and TM is all the same so you should be able to take this file and replace the file in 1.06 and TM without any problems.
cheminot
Brakeman

good note!
By the way, I did this on 1.06v.

Black: I followed your ideas, but bad luck :-( . The 'silent' PK4 file gives a weird sound when zoomed out. :-x

Edit on May 29: I put the 'silent' file in TM and worked, sort of, some scenarii came out with a weird sound instead of the wooshing. But login out and reruning to RT3v1.06 or TM, with whatever sceneario comes out OK.

PLEASE NOTE. The file -the silent one- seems OK, it seems that RT3 or TM does something weird for a while, but after re-loading TM, the silent file works just fine!

BTW, 'West of Chicago' (as is) works beyond my expectations: Not only there is no glitches, but many of raw materials like farms are buyable, and I have been having a lot of fun with it. Check it out & tell me about it.
jewish proverb
cheminot
Brakeman

Now for the bad news...
The 'silent' file works 90% of the time in either 1.06 or TM, but I had the following problem:
Got interested in the Russia scenario by Moebius -great map- with all the tips offered in the forum.
The problem was that I didn't get the two ports down south. So, I tried to reload the map via the main menu, and the silent file became the noisiest thing yet! Still no ports. Repeated the operation and the game crashed...

After several tries and no results about ports and the screeching sound, I put back the original RT3soundnature.pk4 back.

Loaded the Russia map and on the second try I got the TWO ports with, of course, that whooshing sound. I saved the game without doing anything and quit the game. Put back the silent PK4, launched RT3, loaded the saved game and... Bliss *,*! Played several hours and all is well.

But this is no way to go -or play. It seems that just replacing the 'noisy' file by a 'silent' one isn't enough.
All this detail is to offer a lure to all and any of you sharp sharks to look into it.

Oh well, I tried... **!!!**
jewish proverb
Hawk
The Big Dawg

cheminot wrote: The problem was that I didn't get the two ports down south. So, I tried to reload the map via the main menu, and the silent file became the noisiest thing yet! Still no ports. Repeated the operation and the game crashed...
When you try to reload the map, are you quitting RT3 completely?
If not you might try that. Quitting completely would help to release any memory for the game and would allow a fresh restart of RT3.
Sometimes things like that help as computers can sometimes not release memory from the cache, which can cause minor problems.
Hawk
cheminot
Brakeman

Dat'z Ze prolemo!!
No, I didn't quit the game, just went back to the main menu and restarted the map, but... (see my posts above).
Some comments gathered by Oilcan in his bible mentions NOT quitting the game altogether, just exit the map by going to the main menu and reloading the same map: resources are increased somewhat.

I really think that replacing a file by another is not enough, because: why should the 'silent' file works ok on the first go and then becomes the 'screeching' sound?

As you mentioned, I do believe it has to do with the cache... but then again, who am I to know :?: :?: :?:
jewish proverb
Stoker
Engineer

There are multiple sounds used for some things, depending on the zoom amount. This may be what you are experiencing.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke