So what kind of levels excite you?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
coruscate
Dispatcher

So what kind of levels excite you? Unread post

Curious, I mean as a railfan I've been happy enough. Now that I'm starting to get the game more I'm going to take a shot at the campaign mode and have fun but what makes you want to play?
WPandP
Engineer

Re: So what kind of levels excite you? Unread post

For me, the thing I enjoy the most is trying my hand at surveying a realistic route through mountainous terrain. The game is very forgiving about grades, but in the real world going steeper than 3% can be really taxing, and you'd better have a durn good reason for doing so. I don't care so much for running 50+ trains and owning every industry I can buy, etc. I just want to run a little railroad the way it should be run (i.e. cabooses on all the freight trains), which can get in the way of those scenarios that require you to be cutthroat and a ruthless tycoon.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
coruscate
Dispatcher

Yeah that's one thing the game needs, an economic system that adjusts for stuff you can't easily get to ^^
nedfumpkin
CEO

Everything you are suggesting, here and in other threads, is possible in the event editor once you get a hang of it. This is one of the greatest features of the game from my standpoint.
Gwizz
CEO

Quote by W.P.and P.
I just want to run a little railroad the way it should be run
Yea, that is what I like. I don't care much for RT3 track.
I can do stitching in RT2 to modify grades. And I liked drop shipping from the time it came out.
Now I can do some drop shipping in RT3. I can take or leave cabooses. Many small short line RRs didn't own a caboose. I do find I give up a win playing this way but it is what you enjoy that counts.
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

One "challenge" I present with Northern Arizona Railroad is to build the ENTIRE empire using MAX of 5% grade (except for the semi-fantasy tunnel from Flagstaff to Payson). Can be done, but does take work.

I'm not a medal seeker . . . It's the JOURNEY, not the DESTINATION, or tangible reward one can hold in hand or see in a bankbook that floats my boat.

I enjoy maps and scenarios that show it is obvious the author combined realism in the location (to limits that can be achieved) and history (proper time setting with LOTS of historical pop-up facts in both event messages and newspaper clips), such as Age of Steam series, Trans-Siberian, and, of course, my two Arizona contributions. ::!**!

I hade "fantasy" maps that depict REAL terrain, like they do in so many MSTS routes. If it's a fantasy map, give me those completely "out there" . . . maps like Tharisea, Greening of the Red Planet, Sink Hole Island (did that not used to be Crater something or other?) . . . and what red-blooded American boy could resist going a round with Marilyn at least ONCE. ^**lylgh !*00*! ^**lylgh (Sorry Monica, Ruth and all you other gals out there.)

So . . . thars my !#2bits#! .
Ferroequines UNITE!!!

http://azrailrat.com/
coruscate
Dispatcher

nedfumpkin wrote:Everything you are suggesting, here and in other threads, is possible in the event editor once you get a hang of it. This is one of the greatest features of the game from my standpoint.
I'm learning that, I just need to find the right examples so I can make it work in mine.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Post what you are trying to accomplish and someone can probably show you the way.

Edit: cross post....

In answer to the question about what excites me in scenarios, I think William set the standard for historical story telling with the Age of Steam series. Unfortunately, I can't play them all because I am only good on 1.05. I also like scenarios that that present a good challenge both as far as game strategy, map difficulty and economic interest. I also want something that will keep me playing until the end, not something where I am achieving gold with 10 years left.

I also like a map that is well made and provides a challenging terrain. I give Mr Scott props for his Anthracite map,
ostlandr
Brakeman

I play RRT3 (and OpenTTD, and Rails Across America) not so much as a game but as a virtual model railroad. Actually, not even that- I enjoy the simulation of running a real railroad. As much as it might be frustrating trying to lay track in RRT3, I really enjoy the moment when (for example) I get that line run through Denali State Park in "Alaska Adventure" and the grades are reasonable. Or when I finally buy out a competitor, or pay off some high interest bonds.
Every so often I will zoom in and take a "cab ride" along a route, enjoying the scenery. But most often I am too busy managing the railroad for such foolishness. I like scenarios, but the goals are secondary to me. I tend to play the more open-ended scenarios myself. Rather than "get XXX by YYYY date" I would prefer a more free-form game, but on a historical map with accurate events.
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
Polynesia Rail
Watchman

I love connecting cities and villages, I like forest maps with mountains and many lakes, i like islands, i like desert maps, i love snow maps. But I love to keep it realistic, not like connecting a mountain village with a 90 degree railroad... :lol: I want to make a recreation of Luxembourg with the Map Editor soon! 8-)