RT# on a stick

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

RT# on a stick Unread post

Would it be possible to install RT3 on a memory stick and have it work on any computer with a USB port? Are there files that get loaded into the Windows folder, or is everything that's needed put into the RT3 installation folder.

I'm thinking of doing this so I don't have to install the program on my computer at work. I'm just a little worried that if it does work, I'll spend more time on RT3 than the work that needs to be done :oops: .
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: RT# on a stick Unread post

Therein lies madness, Wolvey!!! I already spend my lunchtimes on the forum and have occasionally indulged when I should be working. If I had the game at work, I'd be lost completely. ^**lylgh
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I don't believe RT3 installs files anywhere but in it's own folder, although I'm not 100% sure on this.
Give it a try. You don't have anything to loose. ;-)
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Well, I tried to install onto the stick last night, but it wouldn't let me install again because there was already an installation on my hard drive. It would only let me uninstall that one. After humphing and hawing for a while, I realized I could just copy the current installation onto the stick. I didn't want to copy all my saved games and other stuff I have in various folders, so I just copied folder by folder to the stick into a folder called "Railroad Tycoon 3". When I got to work this morning, I plugged the stick in and it works (No surprise I guess). It was a bit slow to start a new scenario, since it had to read data off the stick, but when I went to save a game, it wouldn't let me. After looking, I see I forgot to add the folder for saved games. I made a new folder called "SavedGames" on the stick, but I still couldn't save files there. I think I don't have the right folder name. Could someone look and see what the exact name of the folder for saved games is and post it? Please give the EXACT folder name, including upper/lower case and spaces if any.

Thanks, and when I have it I'll give it another go and report back.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Saved Games - with a space.

I right clicked on the folder, selected 'Properties', and copied the name from there.
Hawk
Stoker
Engineer

I copy & pasted this from my folder name Wolverine. : Saved Games

Hope it works for you. !*th_up*!

Edit to add: I have had similar problems with multiple installations of games- moving copies of an installed game from one drive to another. The problem seems to be that the "installed game" operating on a drive different than where it was originally installed still looks to save games in the place of its original installation. This may be whats happening here, and if it is I dont know what the fix would be.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

That was it. Thanks. It all seems to work just fine. Now I just have to discipline myself so I don't get too carried away and forget that I have a job!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Stoker wrote:I have had similar problems with multiple installations of games- moving copies of an installed game from one drive to another. The problem seems to be that the "installed game" operating on a drive different than where it was originally installed still looks to save games in the place of its original installation. This may be whats happening here, and if it is I dont know what the fix would be.
Could be that your "Properties" for the executable in the copy still point to the original installation folder. Make a shortcut to the .EXE in your new installation folder and edit the properties to have it "Start in" the folder of the new installation. I think that worked for me when I had multiple copies. I even made two separate shortcuts on the desktop to point to the different installations.
Stoker
Engineer

I will have to try that rerouting of the .exe the next time I make a copy of an installed game and move it. Glad the folder name fixed you up.

By the way, I hope that your work doesn't involve monitoring critical systems at a Nuclear Plant or anything......... :shock:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
OilCan
Engineer

This thread of posts made me wonder if I could install a RT3 into an external backup drive connected to my workplace PC. So, I copied the RT3 CD files into a folder in my backup drive, then ran the 'setup' file to install the game. I let the game install itself into my backup drive. Now here is the problem: when I click on the RT3 exe file (one with RT3 badge), I immediately get a message of 'No Disc Inserted'. It's looking for the RT3 disc in my CD drive. If Wolverine can get RT3 to run off a memory stick, surely it is possible to run it from an external backup drive. What have I missed here?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

You need the "No CD crack". Sometimes, even with the crack, it looks for the CD, but if you click on "Continue" or "Retry" a couple of times, the game will startn as usual.
OilCan
Engineer

I'm a little behind the times here. I made a quick stop at wikipedia to learn what a "No CD Crack" is about. It's always good to know what you can get arrested for. Anyway, do you have a recommended website to download a no CD crack file (preferably a website which will not inundate my PC with spyware and viruses) ?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Ask Hawk by PM.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan - You have a PM.
Hawk
JFMarvelous
Watchman

But the no cd crack only works on versions up tp 1.05 There is still none for version 1.06 **!!!**
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Actually the No CD works on 1.05 and 1.06, if you install the No CD while still in 1.05, before installing 1.06. ;-)

You have a PM JF
Hawk
JFMarvelous
Watchman

Thanks Hawk, I did not uninstall 1.06 first. So now I uninstall 1.06, reinstall 1.05,install
no cd,reinstall 1.06. Right :?: !$th_u$! again for showing me the error I made in installing.
!*00*! Thanks Hawk,What was I thinking *!*!*!
Last edited by JFMarvelous on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That should work for you.

BTW! You have another PM. ;-)
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

1.06 will work just fine if the 1.05 NoCD crack is in place when 1.06 is installed.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Just a quick note...when transfering my files from one computer to the other....I just copied the RRT3 stuff over without ever re-installing. Although I did have to modify the short-cut to point to the right directory. Now I have RT3 1.05 on my c: drive in the program files folder i.e. the default installation from a cd....but on my d: drive, I have Trainmaster in its own folder called...Trainmaster and it works fine from there. As long as the tree beneath is intact, it doesn't matter what the main folder is called. So from my experience you can copy all your RT3 files to anywhere and run it.

Now for the important question....had anyone got the no cd crack to work on Vista yet?