Weather effects on gameplay?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Weather effects on gameplay? Unread post

Does the weather do anything? Like increase chance of a breakdown, decrease acceleration, etc? If so, does is have a greater effect on electric vs diesel vs steam? Just wondering. Noticed on wikipedia that the GG1 did have a problem with weather that wasn't fixed until it was discovered: in a blizzard, tiny ice crystals got into the electronics and melted causing breakdowns.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Weather effects on gameplay? Unread post

What an interesting question! I don't know the answer, but has anyone else noticed that the lightning often seems to strike at a key point on the map? I mean a place where you ought to have a station or where there's an industry building or something? Or is this just me hallucinating after spending too many hours without food or sleep playing the dratted game?
un1
Hobo

Weather (such as rain) slows a train down a few mph. As for lightning, it generally happens where ever you are.
OilCan
Engineer

This is a fascinating concept that an RT3 game could be directed by lighting bolts from above. This would mean that there is a 'theo' factor somewhere (maybe everywhere at once) in the equations of the game. And the game's modeled divine guidance is manifested in cloud to ground lighting strikes (or does the lighting travel from the ground to cloud in RT3?). One can't help but notice that the tycoonatrons (a term for the invisible people of an RT3 game coined by 'Zoogz' in his RT3 Walkthrough) have churches and thus practice an organized religion. The weekly sermon topics are a somewhat unusual, doctrinal and repetitive which suggests to me that the tycoonatrons have an emerging religion - much like the religion of the Old Testament - rather than a revelation based faith. I will have to watch this spiritual side of the game more closely in the future.
Last edited by OilCan on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh
Gandar
Brakeman

I can see oilcans point, the Tycoonatrons religion is not to be taken lightly, after all churches do increase passenger traffic, so at least they are attending services, which is more than can be said for this reality. I was surprised at Grandma Ruths comment, she may live to regret her hasty comment when her trains start to suffer from breakdowns rain falls constantly and the odd earthquake shakes the ground. I'm sure it will be the vagaries of the game.
I on the other hand will {,0,} {,0,} to Tycoonarism before I start each new game,and look forward to Gold medals
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
WPandP
Engineer

Have you noticed that if you start a scenario in 1850, and continue to play for a whole century, belching smoke out of steamers the whole time, that the RRT3 climate will change? The storms become more fierce, and the average temperature goes up by like 5 degrees. Some of the more tropical farms start to produce a bit more, but then other farms produce a bit less. And the sea level rises! Seriously!

*!*!*!
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

I think people are missing that there was a schism with the tycoonatrons and now some of them are attending the Church of Coruscate. They serve wine there so it has become quite popular as a religion.
Gandar
Brakeman

WPandP wrote:Have you noticed that if you start a scenario in 1850, and continue to play for a whole century, belching smoke out of steamers the whole time, that the RRT3 climate will change? The storms become more fierce, and the average temperature goes up by like 5 degrees. Some of the more tropical farms start to produce a bit more, but then other farms produce a bit less. And the sea level rises! Seriously!

*!*!*!

What we have to concern ourselves with is Cause and Effect. Is global warming caused by industry belching out black smoke and steam engines chugging up and down railway tracks. OR perhaps too many Tycoonarists are sipping wine instead of singing praises. A little less (0!!0) and a little more {,0,} might make all the difference in the world to your grain farm production.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Gandar wrote: I was surprised at Grandma Ruths comment
No, no, you misunderstand me - I do believe in Tycoonarism, I do believe in Tycoonarism! {,0,} {,0,}
And here's another proof - isn't it true that your trains run out of water just at that point on the track next to the cotton farm/coal mine/produce orchard you were looking for? Isn't that so?