Default company logos and players

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.

Do you like the default RT 3 company logos and players

Keep the logos, keep the players

5(24%)
Keep the logos, ditch the players

No votes
Ditch the logos, keep the players

14(67%)
Ditch the logos, ditch the players

2(10%)

Total votes: 21

nedfumpkin
CEO

Default company logos and players Unread post

I'm looking at creating some new files for a bunch of different company logos. An easy way of doing this is to make a new file the replace the default RT3 company logos. The same goes for the players, I am considering making some new players, and was wondering if the default players are passé.
WPandP
Engineer

Re: Default company logos and players Unread post

I like the default players, have nothing against any of the portraits. They feel genuine, and we can always add more to the basic set. But the logos have always annoyed me, since they are so non-railroadish in most cases. I'd say we should make the default set be all the real US railroads, and package it such that a player can replace the set with other regional real logos. And maybe we can include a few generic logos that just use common forms, like the UP shield, without the company initials.

But don't let me prejudice the voting! Disregard all of the above until AFTER you've voted, folks...
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

Although only three votes have been cast, and they all indicate that the preference is to ditch the logos, and keep the players, I'll keep the poll open, but the direction I am moving in is to replace the logos. The workload issue is another deciding factor.

The logos are in a chart similar to the cargo icons, so replacing the logos on that chart should be relatively easy. I'll see if I can't add more charts as well. I hate that user made logos are all in tiny pk4 files, and my attempt at putting them all into one large file failed, so I am going to try this approach next.

If it works out, then I can just have a bunch of company_logo.dds files with all the logos, and a number of generic logos. User can still make their own using the utility from the game, but this method can cover alot of logos. If the game won't allow multiple charts, then I can look at creating regional or national charts that users can select as a preference.

As for players. let us always remember that I am neither a racist nor a xenophobe; I am a misanthrope. So it makes no difference to me. :-D
Gandar
Brakeman

The logos have always seemed a little lame, the user logos are superior to the in game ones, however I do like the players, the US ones anyhow, they are rooted in RR history and its nice to see them.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
OilCan
Engineer

I voted to keep the logos and keep the players. While many of the RT3 default logos are just too odd or too much of a green color to use, I like some of them (the torch, the diamond, the texas steer, the chevron, etc..). Their 'non-railroad'ish look doesn't bother me. The north American logos don't really fit for games set in Europe, Australia and other lands (imaginary or real). I don't see a compelling reason to trash all the RT3 logos.

Keeping the RT3 default players is no issue to me. I always change the player name to my name.
Sugus
Engineer

I agree with OilCan.

Also - for me the supply got rather voluminous ...
There's no business like RT business ...