Removing pre-built track/companies

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
CeeBee
Brakeman

Removing pre-built track/companies Unread post

I've done a search and can't find any info on this so maybe someone can answer this for me. I've removed all the track and station and liquidated all the companies from a map with them prebuilt and while it plays fine, everytime I build a station in a city it adds junction to the cities name. I presume this is because the map still thinks there is the original station there but I'm wondering if there's anyway to fix this short of editing in game which isn't a permanent solution?
Gwizz
CEO

Re: Removing pre-built track/companies Unread post

When a station is placed, even after removing the station, name stays and the next station will add another word to the name as you have discovered. There is nothing I know about that will fix this. Sorry.

If you are making another map, change the cities name a bit. Ex: NY City, etc. A new name, not used before, won't have this problem.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You could simply rename the station and remove the Junction part of the name.
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

You'll maybe also have a problem with the companies. If you've deleted three companies, for example, the next one to be built will have the ID "04" even though it will be the first company to appear in the new game. It will only present a problem if you're actually using company ID's in an event, of course.
Last edited by Grandma Ruth on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will not take 'but' for an answer" - Langston Hughes
CeeBee
Brakeman

Thanks for the replies. It's what I figured but had hopes there would be a cure in the editor. O well, I can live with it but it's a pain renaming all the stations every time I play a new game ;-) *!*!*!
KevinL
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote:You could simply rename the station and remove the Junction part of the name.
Well I learned something today! !*th_up*! !$th_u$!
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
wsherrick
Engineer

What you can do to permanently fix the problem is go into the editor, and place a new city directly next to the one with the messed up name. Give the new city the correct name and go into the list of cities section in the editor and find, "copy from another," or similar wording. You then copy the attributes from the original city onto the new one you've just made. After that you bulldoze the old city and the new one will be just like the old one except it will be moved over a tiny bit. Be careful not to bulldoze both cities or the new one you've just created.
How you get rid of pre existing companies is thus-Go back into the editor, with the game on PAUSE, use the cheat codes to give the human player and company gobs of cash to buy up the stock in the other railroads and merge them all-no fuss no muss. Remember to reset the original cash values for your player and company before saving the altered game. Hope this helps.
JayEff
Conductor

If you create a city and bulldoze the old city, check that there aren't too many reserve squares (each city generates a set). go into the right view and delete all the reserve squares. The game will automatically regenerate the squares for the city that still exists.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Verrrry clever, wsherrick. I'm impressed with your solutions! :salute:

One possible variation I'ld suggest. When you make a new city right next to the old one, you will also get a whole new set of reserved cells while the old ones still remain (they aren't changed when you bull-doze the city). It might be easier to write down the city attributes, bulldoze the old city, remove all the reserved cells, and then plant the new city and re-enter the industrial attributes. The new reserved cells will automatically be installed with the city. :-)
CeeBee
Brakeman

Thanks wsherrick and JayEff. !$th_u$! Thats some real good info to know as I slowly make my way through the maze of editing maps. :lol:
Wooly
Hobo

I am not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems like it.

Is there a way to put track into a map which all players/companies can use? What I want to do is add the Lucine Cutoff across the Great Salt Lake as part of the map, and allow everyone to use it. What I really want to do is make a causeway, since that is what the Lucine Cutoff really is, but I would be happy to lay a thin piece of land down across the lake, or add a wooden tressel or whatever I can get. If I don't get track laid as part of the map, then once the game starts one company may get there first and everyone will have to pay to use their track, or not run trains across it. The problem is that the only way I know to add track is by starting a actual company, and then I have to get rid of the company later. Is that going to be a problem once the game starts? I don't know how my different options may effect the game. It would be neat to be able to add track as a government project, which companies can use.
WPandP
Engineer

If you prebuild the track using a sacrficial company, then liquidate that company, it will probably work, but what I don't know is whether those assets will be available for purchase once you are in the game. If they are available, then that might break the scenario.

Maybe if you liquidate it in the editor, then let the window of opportunity pass for buying liquidated assets (I think it is one year, I'm not sure) while still in the editor (i.e. let some time elapse) before saving the final version of the scenario, then this will remove the purchase option.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
Wooly
Hobo

Good ideas WP&P, thanks for the advice. When I get to that point I will let you know how it went.

I would like to add a very low wooden tressel like bridge across the lake, rather than a long thin thread of land and then lay track on it. I think the former looks more like a causeway, and more like the actual thing in many places. If I can get the company liquidation trick to work, then maybe no one will have to pay to use the bridge, which would be expensive I would think. Anyway, I will let you know.
JayEff
Conductor

Wooly wrote:If I can get the company liquidation trick to work, then maybe no one will have to pay to use the bridge, which would be expensive I would think. Anyway, I will let you know.
Companies will still likely lose some income to the use of foreign track.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I could be wrong but it seems to me like I remember in Steve Lorenz's map "Chunnel" he had the track pre-built under the English Channel and you didn't have to pay to use it.
That may have been in the RRT2 version though. I just don't remember.
Hawk
JayEff
Conductor

Hawk wrote:I could be wrong but it seems to me like I remember in Steve Lorenz's map "Chunnel" he had the track pre-built under the English Channel and you didn't have to pay to use it.
You have to pay in the Chunnel.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

See!~ I told you I could be wrong. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Stoker
Engineer

I tried W Sherricks' suggestion to clear companies and I think there is still a small problem. I tried it on the "Go West" map, and it looks like even when you merge with the existing companies, the game still continues the "company ID # " count from where the original companies had ended. In this case the next company created is #4, as there were 3 to start with. This is still a fairly clean way to rid a map of pre-existing track- etc, but if you have events coded to certain company IDs' you need to keep this in mind.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Take a look at arop's new map, Atlantic, Ohio, & Mississippi. In it he used events to deactivate companies and track he created in the editor.
Not sure if that's what y'all are talking about though. **!!!**
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

I remember a pre-built "Government" track in an Australian scenario - it was built across the Nullabar (?) plain. But like Hawk, I can't remember if this was in RT3 or RT2.
Edit: can't find it, it must have been in RT2. :-(