no values in Effects drop box

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
Stoker
Engineer

Re: no values in Effects drop box Unread post

Back to the OPs question:
brunom wrote: Anyway - i want to reduce produce price by 50% everywhere but in Export area (taking on your idea).
I think the best way to achieve what your looking for here (getting the Produce to ship off to a certain area ) is to create demand for it in the destination place. Try putting a Distillery or two in the destination area and the price will go up there. If you have just a few houses near your "export" you need not be worried about them sucking off all the produce before it ends up in your target area so I wouldn't worry about it. The houses demand only a fraction and their demand subsides once this is met, having a few houses around will make the Orhards more profitable by having a slightly elevated price for what they are growing. However, if you have Fruit Orchards near a city with a lot of houses and even a distilllery, you would probably have problems getting your produce to ship off. Make sure your demand is fairly low in your production area and high in your intended destination area and the game engine dynamically adjusts the prices between the stations as demand or supply increases, so its a fairly realistic representation of supply/demand economics in this way.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
brunom
Dispatcher

Alright.. I am now definitely sure my problem is having 1.06 and 1.05 in a weird-one-of-a-kind hybrid. I will soon uninstall properly and make a clean install, update it to 1.05 and then have a look at the editor again.

Problem in my editor is that i cannot "write" in the box with the maths operators or the text box where i see the effects written out. That's what i wanted help with, and i got it. As for the rest, worry not, i will fix this myself.

Concerning produce .. i have now decided to try a few ideas of myself and will come back to the forum later. But feel free to continue the exercise. (Placing distilleries would then mass output alcohol and not be geographically/economically accurate, so i ditched that one already).

Since you guys downloaded the map, can i have any comments on it?

Many thx again
brunom
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'll be more than happy to comment on your map, just as soon as I get the time. *!*!*!
I'm going to try and play it a little tomorrow, but don't hold me to it. I do have a good bit of stuff on my plate. :salute:
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

Good thing 1.06 has a "revert to 1.05" button. I reverted and managed to edit the events easily. I just placed a Beta version in the Reviews forum, i long for comments (i know, i know, in due time).

My solutions to the problems we were discussing:

Produce price - at startup, produce prices fall 20% everywhere, and in addition, major cities in the area that has more produce production have (or can have) warehouses that supply 1 produce as well - this warehouse accounts for local small farmers and it also takes care of local demand - sort of a fresh produce market. Thus, it is only really profitable to carry produce to the ports. Because the ports have a demand for 3 produce, it's always greener at the coast.

Counting exports - i set up a "hidden" territory around the cities that have (can have) ports and count the delivered loads to it. Plus, i decided to change the goals a little after that. Instead of total cargo delivered for exportation, player will have to maintain 10 consecutive years of cargo delivery to get the medals.

And that's it, now it's a matter of playing :D

brunom
Stoker
Engineer

Sounds like your getting a handle on this RT3 scenario building brunom. Be aware that if you created an event while using your hybrid that this may at some point cause a crash if the person using the map is using 1.05. 1.06 has some features that don't exist in 1.05 so when the game engine "looks" for them it causes a crash. Just to be sure you have a clean map I would delete all events, save and reload to start fresh. It stinks to discover mystery crashes later on after you have a lot of things done. RT3 maps have a lot of odd residual effects that linger when you add and remove things from a map. Remaking events is about 10x quicker than figuring them out the first time, and in my case I usually end up with a more streamlined event process after I rewrite the initial ones.

Edmund Burke
brunom
Dispatcher

Thank you for the advice, Stoker - the Beta version already contains "fresh" events only.

I have another question though:
I can trigger building any kind of industry, but not ports or warehouses.. is this correct? I couldn't find those two in the effects list.

I want to trigger a particular warehouse in a particular place to demand huge amounts of steel and logs, representing a major dam being built. And then, once a given LTD of those was delivered, trigger its destruction and make adjustments in steam vs. electric loco cost.
Without being able to do that, all i have in the beta version is a big peak in steel and logs prices and then, a given number of years later, the dam is finished.

Anyway - if it ain't possible, it ain't possible, and no harm will come to the world - But i thought it would be a cool series of events (and historically relevant/accurate)

brunom
Stoker
Engineer

In 1.06 you can event-place warehouses and ports. I think that was one of the things that was added, so you might not be able to do it in 1.05. It might be worth it to you to tinker some more to get 1.06 functioning on your computer and write the scenario in 1.06, there are a lot more things you can do with territory haul #s and math equations .You can also make custom names for your warehouses that will appear in the game in 1.06. With the description of the hybrid version you ended up with in the last try it sounds like you might be able to get it to work, you may have just installed something in the wrong order- etc. IF you try , just make a complete copy of your existing clean 1.05 version to start with.

Edmund Burke