Excel 97 and XP Home Edition

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Excel 97 and XP Home Edition Unread post

I am struggling to get help with this problem, nothing helpful on the Microsoft site or in the Excel Help. Though it seems it ought to be a simple one to me. I'm sure someone here will know what to do!
I have two user accounts on my computer. One has admin rights and one doesn't - as they recommend you don't access the internet via an admin account. So I have tried to make an Excel workbook that can be shared between the two accounts.
But it comes up as "read-only" on the limited account - I haven't checked the option for it to be read-only, it does it itself. Even if the workbook is created in the limited account.
If I create a workbook in the limited account, first of all it comes up just as "shared" (as it should be), then if you go into the admin account and alter it, then save it and come back to the limited account, it comes up as read-only and can only be altered in the admin account.
Which defeats the whole object of having a shared workbook.
I don't know if the problem is with Excel or XP or maybe they're incompatible? It works all right in every way.
*((hlp))*

Edit: Well, I've solved the problem, but it's not very nice. !*th_dwn*! I can't save an RT game in the limited user account, either, so it's clearly because of the limitations there are on those accounts. Looks like I'll have to use it only for accessing the internet and doing the e-mails. Now I know why XP has the "switch user" facility!

Hawk: you can leave this posted, if you like - somebody else might come across the same problem.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Excel 97 and XP Home Edition Unread post

Have you tried right clicking on the workbook in the limited account, select 'Properties' and check 'Run as Administrator', or something like that?
Same with RRT3 - the whole folder.
Hawk
WPandP
Engineer

This is actually one of the benefits of switching over to Vista, as they supposedly came up with a non-admin user account that can actually be used. In XP, it just isn't feasible to use non-admin accounts as your primary mode of operation.

Personally, I've been using only a single admin account in XP for years.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
pure al
Dispatcher

WPandP wrote:Personally, I've been using only a single admin account in XP for years.
Me too, and for exactly the same reason.

Glad you found a work-around Grandma Ruth :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I too have been using a single Admin account. I'm just careful about my Internet usage and quite meticulous about security software, plus I have a hardware firewall in the form of a router.
I've only had one virus in about 10 years, and that was about 9 years ago in Win 98 or Win 95. LOL!

I don't think I've ever got any malware, of if my memory isn't that good, it wasn't anything too annoying or mischievous. ;-)
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Thanks for your replies, guys. Glad it wasn't just my computer acting weird like the old one did! :lol: