Durango & Silverton 1.0 - a google-made map

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: Durango & Silverton 1.0 - a google-made map Unread post

Just a note, as I have been in correspondence with Soccer and being a student, he indicates that he will be busy with studies until this summer, so will not be doing any updating of his scenario until at least that time.
:salute: {,0,}
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Stoker wrote:You can find a really old version of "Mile High and Rising at my thread here, and keep in mind that it is a 1.06 version map (gotta have that Ore cargo for a map in this area 8-) )
Did it ever get "finalized" and posted in the map archive? **!!!**
Stoker
Engineer

No it hasn't. I have kept working and changing it continuously for years? and now and it is actually pretty close to being "done". It now has 9 selectable pre-made companies, all with different win conditions and is obviously fairly complex. The most complex RT3 scenario I have attempted, that is for sure. I will post the most current version right now over at my regular thread. Maybe if I can get some "constructive criticism" it will put a fire under my butt to get the darned thing finished once and for all. !*th_up*!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Stoker wrote:I will post the most current version right now over at my regular thread.
Got link to that thread?
Hawk
Stoker
Engineer

Oops. Sorry Hawk, I forgot to add it.

Here is the link to Stokers Corner, and the latest version of Mile High & Rising.

Sorry to hijack your thread here a bit Soccer, I am not trying to steal your thunder. !$th_u$! !!jabber!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
soccersetter643
Hobo

Thanks very much for all the feedback! I finally finished all my schooling, as well as the lengthy and exciting move from the San Francisco Bay Area to 30 minutes north of Manhattan. I've got my life back to a (mostly) normal schedule now, and am getting ready to start working on my map-making projects again. Thanks so much to everyone for your comments and critiques on this map!

In my drive across the country, I managed to schedule a stop in Durango to ride the train again, which was an enlightening experience, to be sure! I think I will work on flattening the terrain a bit more along the river, as to make the grading a bit more realistic. In addition, I plan on adding more textures to fix the issue of when you zoom really close, there being no color (again, see the google maps and microdem thread in the map-making section).

Stoker, thanks so much for your comments! It's nice to hear from someone well-versed in the history of the area. Just as a little bit of background into the scenario, I originally intended to have the game running on the daily time scale instead of the yearly time scale in order to more accurately reflect the timeline of the construction of the original line, which is an amazing story as I'm sure you're aware! In that version, the game would most likely last the 9-ish months that it took to construct the line, and have triggers to induce landslides and other features causing havoc, especially in winter months. However, graduating from college picked up and I never had time to figure out how to get the time scale correct, so I gave up on trying to figure it out. Maybe I'll go back now and revisit this idea.