The Hub 2 Military

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
edbangor
Dispatcher

The Hub 2 Military Unread post

The Hub #2 - Recovery
a Scenario for RailRoad Tycoon 3
(requires the 1.06 unofficial patch)

Earliest Start Year: 1945
Default Start Year: 1945
Latest Start Year: 1945
Scenario Length: 25 years
Size: 960x960
Mandatory Human Players: 1
Mandatory Computer Players: 6
Additional Optional Computer Players: 4

MAP DESCRIPTION
At the turn of the century, an eccentric billionaire Hawk Badger found the inactive volcano of his dreams with a region in the north to supply all the raw resources, while to the east was a highly fertile area. Admittedly the southern region was a little rough, but industries don't need it to be pretty which left the west for food production.

FROM SCENARIO #1 'PIRATES'
People flooded to the idyllic lifestyle of the Hub, with the richest settling in the plush Island in the oceans surrounding it the central section.
However, all was not well. Villains, rouges and pirates thrived in the Bad Lands, raiding the boarding nations. Eventually Hawk Badger had no option other than to allow General Ruth and her Police (military) to combat this threat, although their leader, General Ruth just took over.

SCENARIO BRIEFING
Five years after General Ruth's takeover and the Hub is in trouble. The population has largely left, and those who remain have moved into the Bad Lands, where the remains of the Military Network struggles to feed them, now the four recourse and manufacturing countries have gone independent.
In desperation the relief agency "Ray of Sunshine" (RoS) calls on the North American tycoons to turn the situation around by spreading the passengers around, as well as distributing the aid. Just keep General Ruth on your side. Are you up for it?

SPECIAL CONDITIONS
- No building industry buildings.
- Only Start One Company
- No Bulldozing

TERRITORY ACCESS
Bad Lands - Open to you
The Island - Open to AI - you'll have to buy one of them out
The Hub - Open to the AI - you'll have to buy one of them out
Supermarkia (West) - 2000 loads
Mines n' Minerals (north)- connect 25 cities
Furtilia (East)- connect 35 cities
Industria (South)- 15,000 electric track & 10,000 double track
Military Corners - Be the only company
Centre Point - connect other eight territories.

VICTORY CONDITIONS
Any medal - haul 1,500 passengers
BRONZE - Be the only company
SILVER - as above plus connect all nine territories
GOLD - all of the above plus:
Deliver to centre point.
50 uranium
30 Diesel
25 electronics
20 Aluminum
15 Machinery

Version History:
Version 3.00: The Hub2: Military - 10th December 2009
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
edbangor
Dispatcher

The Hub 2 - Military Unread post

This is the second of proposed three scenarios based around the same map. The Hub #1: Pirates is already in the archives and The Hub #3 will follow.

Although the basic geography of the map remains the same from the first scenario, nearly everything else has changed (including some of the coastlines I couldn't resist fiddling with, plus some repainting!). All the cities have been restructured, warehouse/port recipies & locations changed, and of course, new events and goals.

As before I've written a full stratagy for this scenario which I'll post once other people have had a chance to play. In the meantime, here's some hints.

a) Start a company ASAP, to make sure you get the best starting line set up before the AI companies do and go electric as it will be cheeper.
You are going to be paying to maintain the military network so you may as well use it, by connectiong your cities to it, rather than to each other directly.
b) As before, you can't build business, but you can buy then, starting with those in the Bad Lands, boardering Mines n' Minerals (north)- & Furtilia (east).
c) You can't bulldoze ANYTHING, so take care when placing stations..etc... to make sure you don't block yourself in at a later stage.
d) If you are aiming for Gold make sure you connect up the Military Network as soon as possible, as it takes time to transport everything around the map, and the Uranium, especially, as a limited spawn rate and you don't have the time you had in the first scenario.
e) There's a much shorter time frame this time, so don't hang around!!
Sugus
Engineer

Re: TheHub #2 : Military Unread post

Great! !*th_up*! And when will you send it to Hawk, so that he can put it into the archives?
There's no business like RT business ...
edbangor
Dispatcher

Sugus wrote:Great! !*th_up*! And when will you send it to Hawk, so that he can put it into the archives?
It was sent before I wrote the above.... just have to wait until Hawk has some traintime
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I'm working on it. I woke up this morning to find 3 new files to be added to the web site. 2 for RT3 and 1 for MSTS.
I should have them ready within a half hour.

Edit 1: OK! It's now available.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... lands2.htm
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Sorry, wouldn't urge anybody! It's only my thrist to maps ... !$th_u$!
Sugus
Engineer

Re: The Hub #2 - Military Unread post

Hi edbangor - are we really ****** to wait 40 years simply to lose? !hairpull! (Everything else should be done within 25 years!)
edbangor
Dispatcher

Sugus wrote:Hi edbangor - are we really ****** to wait 40 years simply to lose? !hairpull! (Everything else should be done within 25 years!)
Sorry I don't understand the question.
It is fully possible to get gold on this map in the time scale I gave it, - as you can see from the attached image - or else I'd have given more time.
In fact the map was original set to 40years but that was just too long.
hub2-gold-ledger.jpg

I've added the stragegy for the map as a text file so those that want to read it can, and those that don't, won't.
Attachments
TheHub2 Military strategy.txt
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Sugus
Engineer

I've just translated 'The Hub 2 - Military' into German. While doing so, I found that the following events should be "corrected":

Status-terrys: ... (7 for Centre Point, ... [not 8]
Centre access: condition should be >=7, not >= 8, as you mention within the text
Loss: condition should be >=25, not >= 40 (that's what I intended to "say" above)

No offence! Anyway, seems to be a fine map. !*th_up*!
edbangor
Dispatcher

Sugus wrote:I've just translated 'The Hub 2 - Military' into German. While doing so, I found that the following events should be "corrected":

Status-terrys: ... (7 for Centre Point, ... [not 8]
Centre access: condition should be >=7, not >= 8, as you mention within the text
Loss: condition should be >=25, not >= 40 (that's what I intended to "say" above)

No offence! Anyway, seems to be a fine map. !*th_up*!
Access to centre point should be that all the other EIGHT territories are connected: Bad Lands, The Island, The Hub, Supermarkia, Mines n' Minerals, Furtilia, Industria & Military Corners, using the COMP. TOTAL TERRITORIES CONNECTED event condition.
This makes the CENTRE POINT territory the ninth one needed for the silver victory.

The loss condition is wrong through, and while I've corrected it on my map I won't bother Hawk with a re-upload just for that, although it does mean that no one should ever "Loss" this map cos if you can't do it in 40 years... then well....! ^**lylgh

BTW: Thanks for doing the translation of the map. Erm, wonder if they are going to need translators in thehub3....
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It's no problem with me to send the corrected version. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Gandar
Brakeman

I keep crashing to the desktop after about 4 or 5 months, and even though I have been given the right to the military network I can't run trains on the pre laid track. So my question is, Is anyone else having a problem ? what have you changed in scenario 2 because I was able to play pirates fine. Is there an exotic locomotive coming. I could look at your strategy text but I'm reluctant to do so right off the bat.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
edbangor
Dispatcher

Gandar wrote:I keep crashing to the desktop after about 4 or 5 months, and even though I have been given the right to the military network I can't run trains on the pre laid track. So my question is, Is anyone else having a problem ? what have you changed in scenario 2 because I was able to play pirates fine. Is there an exotic locomotive coming. I could look at your strategy text but I'm reluctant to do so right off the bat.

Not again!!
After the issues with the first editions of thehub1 I was careful only to use generic orginal RRT3 locos in this one.
Other than the military network thing, there's no events int he first year, after the first two months so don't know what's going onthere. **!!!**
And you should be able to use the military network, once you have the rights to it, otherwise it just doesn't make sense. *!*!*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You can use the Military Network, you just have to scroll around the map and find the several places of bad track laying, and since you can't bulldoze to fix it you have to lay track around that section.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Look for sections like this:
bad track.jpg
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The scenario crashes at the end of Sept or first of Oct, 1945.
I looked through the events and nothing jumped out at me that fires at that time.
A couple things to check is installed locomotives, installed logos, installed players, or installed industries. I'm running a bare bones install of 1.06. The only thing I've added was this map.

Edit 1: I loaded the map up in TM and it made it past that crash. The only thing I saw happen was a new AI started up, but with all AI's set as unassigned I'm not sure if that's the cause or not.
No news of a new loco, and no new loco in the selection list, so I'm guessing that's not the problem. **!!!**

Edit 2: I compared the loco list (16 selected) between 1.06 and TM and they're identical. I checked the port/warehouse cargo recipes and didn't see any issue there.
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote:You can use the Military Network, you just have to scroll around the map and find the several places of bad track laying, and since you can't bulldoze to fix it you have to lay track around that section.
This was done on purpose - no honestly it was - and is mentioned on the message when you are awarded the military network.
To fix it, always over write the tracks with your own, especially at the juntions and sharper corners.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

edbangor wrote:This was done on purpose - no honestly it was -
I knew that! :mrgreen:
I just considered the source (you). ^**lylgh

I do like the way General Ruth got steel, but I think she might have got a bit too much. ;-)
Hawk
Gandar
Brakeman

I fixed up the track and then I can run trains , but I don't understand why the the routes I set up prior to this would not work, they were miles away from the break. Ahh well its your scenario you make the rules and I should be a little more diligent,but I still have the crash to desktop happening at the end of September.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
edbangor
Dispatcher

Gandar wrote:Ahh well its your scenario you make the rules and I should be a little more diligent,but I still have the crash to desktop happening at the end of September.
Yes it is and yes I do ^**lylgh
Gandar wrote:but I still have the crash to desktop happening at the end of September.
I'm going to have to look into this but can't think of anything that is or isn't happening then that should cause a crash for you.
Clearly Hawk can get passed it somehow, as he's at least got to 1956 to know how General Ruth gets her steel (that used to happen twice BTW until I shortened the length of the scenario) so I really don't know what it could be.