A few small changes.

News and announcements about the website and forum.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: A few small changes. Unread post

Gumboots wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 am Short version: it will have better functionality than the current Lightbox for this use case, and will require a lot less code than the newer Lightbox v2.
Ahhh! OK! That what I was wondering. !*th_up*!
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:20 amPersonally I found the HP&P pages have an interesting take on the game. You can obviously tell that there wasn't an "established" play style that the collective of map makers have since steered strategy towards. If it's a problem to keep it updated, could it be "frozen" in terms of format somehow? Idk about such things, maybe even as a PDF?
Had a look at it. Turns out it's really easy to update those pages to use much the same code as the rest, including the typography, while still keeping the H&P look. Even fits on phones now. So ok, we can keep them. !*th_up*!

Heineken_and_Pacific_1.jpg

Heineken_and_Pacific_2.jpg
Gumboots
CEO

Had a bit more fun. These obscure sections are good for trying out ideas, because they're simple and they're self-contained.

The "Most Hated Man" pages are getting a font for the body text that is in Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 by default (Gabriola) and is easy to read, but suits the 19th century feel. It'll have to fall back to something basic for mobile, since they probably won't support Gabriola, but I'll play that by ear.

The heading is done in Tangerine, which I might call in via a web font. That's not much overhead if it's done sensibly (only has to call 24 glyphs in total) and it's a lot clearer than the old heading image which did the same job.

And naturally I went eye candy on the banner, but the whole thing is still not heavier on the browser than the current setup. :-D

MHMitSS_1.jpg

MHMitSS_2.jpg

MHMitSS_3.jpg

MHMitSS_4.jpg
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Are you going to have a fall back font for the web font for folks that don't allow those scripts?
Just curious.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

There's no javascript involved with web fonts. It's a simple relative link to a stylesheet. But sure, I'll define a fallback font anyway.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah! Cool.
I know some sites use a javascript to display some web fonts. I can't think of the script right now though.

Edit 1: One of them is fonts.gstatic.com
There's one or two more I've come across in my travels around the web.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Fair enough. Google will provide a stylesheet already formatted, as will a few other sites. IIRC, Font Squirrel is another one. Obviously most people link to the Google CDN, but for the amount of overhead involved this site could get away with serving it (and avoid Google).

I'm still not sure I will use a web font though. I'm half-inclined to play with them, since they are becoming more relevant and more useful, and I've never messed with them before, but it's not essential. :)

Main concern at the moment is my nifty banner image may not be public domain. I'm sure I got it from a public domain source originally (Project Gutenberg springs to mind) but the original lithograph is currently held by the Boston Athenæum and they are rather more restrictive.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I believe I still have a few pictures of The General I took myself at the Kennesaw Railway Museum.
If you're interested I'll see if i can find them. I really can't remember if they'd be usable for the banner or not. It was pretty tight quarters for proper picture taking.

Edit 1: Well, I found all the pictures I took but none of them could have been used as a banner.
However, in my searching I found a folder named 'Unusual Gravesites' and one of the pictures in it I thought you might enjoy.

8ead73.jpg
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Wow - that's really enjoying. I hope that we never will see </RT3>
There's no business like RT business ...
Gumboots
CEO

I see what you mean about that museum. They don't give you much space. I did find some old shots of the last time they took it for a run, but they're not really usable either. Had an idea though. I can simplify things by using the old cover shot as the banner for that section.

It's a good fit for style, and nobody has complained about this site using the picture in the middle, so it's all good. I can put the big one on the cover page, and a scaled version for the standard header on the story pages. It looks fine, and it's less code. :)

MHM_cover.jpg

MHM_intro.jpg

Edit: BTW, turns out the overhead for serving that font from this site is only about 30kB, which is roughly two avatars worth. Hardly a big deal in the scheme of things. !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That picture fits pretty good for the banner of that section.
It would be nice to find one similar that fits the header a bit better but that one works.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

I've noticed bandwidth usage for this site has gone off the charts over the past few days. I checked for the usual suspects (Chinese spiders and other miscreants) but this time around it looks to be just a whole lot of really bored people in lockdown who are looking for a game to pass the time.

So I'll keep an eye on it and just let them go for the moment. Can't blame people for needing some extra entertainment at the moment. (0!!0)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Maybe some of the old players are bored at home and digging out old games.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Did a bit more digging and found a couple of script kiddies trying brute force attacks. They must be bored in lockdown too. :lol:
(No harm done. They were just being a bit annoying.)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's not a surprise.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

If anyone is wondering where this is up to: this time of year is the best time for working outside (nice temperatures and the UV isn't a killer) so I've been catching up on stuff that got away from me over summer. That means not much energy left for coding at the moment. :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Can't say as I blame you. Spring is always a good time to get outside. Take advantage of the great weather.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It's early winter here. :) Subtropical climate. Think winter in Florida. It's like that.
zzc
Watchman

Hi there. I've been lurking around the forum and downloading maps and finally registered to inform of this.

http://hawkdawg.com/index.html is returning a 404 page? Am sure it was still working yesterday.
Gumboots
CEO

That's odd. I'll take a look. Thanks for the tip. :)