Important Notice: Forum Glitch - Website Update!

News and announcements about the website and forum.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Important Notice: Forum Glitch Unread post

Nice work. (0!!0)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Important Notice: Forum Glitch Unread post

Thanks! I hope it works as good or better for folks. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Important Notice: Forum Glitch - Website Update! Unread post

I just noticed that my theme preferences needed resetting (which was no trouble). Is this the updated version?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I did delete some unused themes; getting ready for the update. I thought I only deleted themes that weren't being used. Is the theme you were using no longer available? If so, which one was it?

No, I have not updated the forum software yet. At least not this one. I did clone this forum to a sub-forum so I could run the update on it so I could see how it goes, plus add/subtract some extensions, and play around with the settings.
So far it's going good and I plan on updating this one - hopefully Friday.

If you want to, you can check it out.

http://test.hawkdawg.com/forum/

I've added a couple of new extensions and did away with one that doesn't work with the new version of phpBB. The extension that placed new announcements at the top of the main forum no longer works, but I do have another option, although it's not as good.

Edit 1: I think I know what happened. The database assigns styles by id number, not by name. It may be that by deleting the unused styles (themes) the id numbers changed.
I've got some bad news for you though. The style you are using - Platinum - looks like further development on it has been abandoned. I searched for it in the phpBB forums and the last post on it I found was back in 2015, for this version of the forum software.
Once I update the forum, that style won't be available.

Sorry! :oops:

The test forum linked to above shows the styles that will be available once I get this board updated.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It's no problem. I've been using Platinum, which is still available. I just noticed I had to reset to that this morning, and wondered if that was a result of an upgrade.

Checked out the test site. Looks identical to this one, so nobody should grumble about it. If I can't have Platinum with the new version I'll just use something else. I've used (and coded) quite a few themes and interfaces over the years, so I'm pretty adaptable. !*th_up*!

(I've actually been using a customised version of Platinum, with several CSS overrides in my browser's userContent.css, so if the new lot don't look the way I want them to I'll just sort it to suit myself. If you're curious, the main change I made was to have the menus fixed across the top of the screen, which I find quite convenient.)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Which menus are you talking about? The links to the various pages of the website?
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

The whole lot. I have Quick Links/FAQ/Donate over at the left and Notifications/PM's/Profile over at the right in the top bar. Then the Website/RT3 Main Page/etc in a second bar just beneath that, with the links naturally sitting at the left. Code looks like this:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain(hawkdawg.com) {
    #headerbar, #menu {
        position: fixed;
        z-index: 99;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
        right: 0;
    }
    #menu {
        top: 38px;
        z-index: 88;
        max-width: 100% !important;
        background: #2670A9 !important;
        height: 36px !important;
        padding-left: 192px !important;
        padding-right: 14px !important;
        box-shadow: 0 4px 4px rgba(0,0,0,.3);
    }
    #menu ul>li:nth-of-type(2), #menu ul>li:nth-of-type(3) {
        display: none !important;
    }
    .headerbar, .menu_corner-left, #nav-breadcrumbs form,
    .menu_corner-right, .responsive-center.time {
        display: none !important;
    }
    .navbar {
        margin-top: 70px !important;
    }
    #topicreview {
        resize: vertical;
    }
}
The #topicreview resize is a handy one. Beats me why they don't have that by default. Perhaps the code was written back when CSS3 resize wasn't widely supported.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Post a screenshot of what it looks like.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Looks like this. As you can see, I've basically stripped things down to what I actually use on a day to day basis, just to save space on the page.
Platinum_custom.jpg
That's running on 1920x1200. I just scaled the shot down to a handy 1024.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yep! You really stripped it down. Header's gone! Links gone! News Ticker gone! ^**lylgh
Hey! If it works for you,... (0!!0)
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Well I check the header and news ticker stuff before I log in, when the site has the default look, then have the extra page space once I log in. Best of both worlds, IMO. (0!!0)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah! That'll work. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

That's certainly a clean look. And here I am for months not even bothering to close the yellow message about how to use the forum, on a screen only 768 pixels high. :lol:

PS. Will the PM storage be the same on the new version?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

WOW! !*00*! You should have closed that yellow box a long time ago. ^**lylgh

Yes, the PM storage shouldn't change. That info is stored in the database. All updating does is update the html, php, etc. files. Then updates the database based on any changes made to the core files.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

My browser security settings mean that I get the yellow message every time I restart the browser even if I close it on a previous session. Mostly if I'm signed in I'm typing (trying to string words together into something that makes sense) not browsing around. I guess I am just used to seeing it.

PS. I'm not worried about security here, it's mainly for the mainstream sites. I only mentioned the PMs because Gumboots and I have ran up several hundred over some time. It's not hard to save your inbox, but there is no warning that sent messages start to be lost when their storage overflows. I lost some before realizing, thankfully nothing important. Now I started saving the whole webpage for each discussion with the dates in question in the file name (I believe I had to do 2 chunks once when view limit was exceeded). Then I dump it in a folder with any attachments.
Gumboots
CEO

Strewth. You're keen. I just delete a pile of old ones once the box gets close to the limit, on the assumption that we've changed our minds so often the old ones probably won't be relevant. :lol:

Anyway those top menus on my setup are fixed. So they stay put at the top of the screen all the time, regardless of where I'm scrolling to. Means I can grab a menu link anytime without going up and down a long page. I like that. !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

PM storage is 50 per folder.

My browser settings delete all cache and history and everything every time I close it, but I don't log out of the forum so I never see that yellow box when I come back here, even after shutting down my computer for the night.
I'm guessing if you log out, then come back later, after starting your browser again, you'll see the yellow box again.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I just checked the PM settings and PM's shouldn't be deleted when the box gets full (50) It should just hold back any new messages.
You do have the option of creating new boxes. You can have 5 PM boxes.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's the settings.
PM Settings.jpg
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

I like that you disabled Flash in PM's. That would be really annoying. !*th_up*!