A few small changes.

News and announcements about the website and forum.
Gumboots
CEO

A few small changes. Unread post

While I was doing all the necessary upgrades I enabled a couple of features that weren't turned on before. !*th_up*!

1/ The most obvious is the quick reply form, at the bottom of every topic page. This is something I'm used to having on other sites. It's just a basic post form, without all the buttons, but it allows you to reply to a topic without having to load a new page. Quite handy if you're just wanting to post text, or basic formatting that you already know the BBC code for.

The phpBB version is a little bit more primitive than what I am used to, in that it doesn't allow you to quote directly to the quick reply. Quoting a post will still redirect you to the full reply page.

2/ Lightbox gallery mode. This lets you scroll through all images in any post, without having to close one and open another, so if there are half a dozen images in a post you can go through them all by clicking the arrows at each side of the Lightbox screen. In other words, it now works much like multiple page briefings on the site's map pages.

3/ Cookie consent form, at the bottom of the page. This just tells you the site collects cookies for basic functionality, and asks you to ok this. It's a legal requirement in some jurisdictions, and the server the site is now on is located in the EU.

This is not a cause for concern. It just means you are now informed of something you weren't informed about before, and have to give your permission for it. The form should remember you, so you shouldn't have to keep telling it to shut up all the time.

Just thought of another one, which I did some time back.

It's now possible to attached Open Office spreadsheets directly, in their native .ods format. There is no need to zip them any more.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: A few small changes. Unread post

Testing new alternative smiley codes.

:D

:)

;)

:P

Code: Select all

:D

:)

;)

:P
Gumboots
CEO

Good. That works. :D Doesn't appear to update existing posts to call the new alternatives instead of the raw characters, but should make things easier in future.
Gumboots
CEO

Yay! Have hr's behaving sensibly now. Those have always annoyed me. :P

The phpBB default CSS for them was nuts. It still is, but I've done the quick and dirty hack and overridden the default CSS with an inline style as part of the hr markup. This covers all installed styles, which will do for now. :)

The hr's are now a basic 1px line in the colour of your choice, with a sane default margin of 1em top and bottom so you don't have to enter extra blank lines just to get reasonable presentation.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Cool! Let's check it out.

Here's a test.

Yep! Much better. {,0,}
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

I've been playing with some of the add-ons too. Started with Aero, since it's the most fun. I'm pretty happy with the news scroller and board announcements now, but I think the extra menu still needs a bit more work.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p15343091

That is running on a desktop test site, so isn't affecting this site yet. The look shown will work with the blue Aero too. It's just a change of background image and a few colours here and there, so they can both be running side by side with that look. Or with any other look for that matter. It'd be perfectly possible to style them individually and still have it all work as one multi-style.

Edit: On second thought, it's looking like that will be straining the system a bit too much. It's probably possible, but if we only want the black and blue variants anyway it's probably simpler in coding terms to just have them as separate styles. But then that would involve figuring out how to create a whole new style in phpBB, which is probably not that difficult but which I'm not sure I want to know about right at the moment.

Which one do you like best? I usually use the black one. There are only three of us using Aero anyway, so if we all want the same one then that becomes very easy: I just disable the other one.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Personally I prefer the black as well.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

That's easy then. :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just a test for adding an attachment.

Image2.jpg

Image2.png

OK! Adding attachments works in posts. Just not in PM's.
The above two images are the ones I was trying to add to the PM.

It looks like the same issue we had with the hr spacing is also affecting inline images in posts.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Been playing around a bit. I'm going to start hacking up a new style to suit my own preferences, but I'll leave all the old ones as options, and for the moment I'll leave Prosilver as the site default.

There's a new version of Aero out, which is supposed to have a range of bug fixes, so I'll see about getting that installed too. :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

First thing I want is the login form at the top of the page, so I don't have to go looking for it. That'll save some time, and apparently is easy to do.

I probably shouldn't get too gung ho at the moment though. Best to take it easy and let ideas percolate. I'm also thinking it's time I made some more stuff for the game. Finish that map off, and sort out some more locos. :)

I am running some basic tweaks to Prosilver_SE over at phpBB. It's rather nice if you give it a few small adjustments. The CSS overrides are running in Stylish, with the banner called in from desktop. That banner wouldn't suit this site. I just thought it was a nice relaxing look while I was using that forum.
Prosilver_SE_tweaks.jpg
ETA: I've just whipped up a trial banner for WE Universal. Not that I think that particular style is going to be best (I'll roll my own), but I do think something along these lines for a banner could work well. Take a look and see what you think.

Which reminds me: do you have a PSD or something of your old H&B circular logo? The current gif is a bit rough around the edges.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I like that wooden bridge in the WE header.

All I have is psp files, which probably doesn't do you any good, but I did convert a plain logo psp to a png if that helps any.

H&B_Logo2.png
H&B_Logo2.png (49.78 KiB) Viewed 897037 times

Here's another one without the text.

H&B_Logo.png
H&B_Logo.png (35.11 KiB) Viewed 897037 times

I did the circular text from this tutorial - https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/write_circle.html - but that also probably doesn't help since it uses PSP 7.

I also have the hawk and the badger as separate png files, if you were so inclined to start from scratch. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Lol. That second one looks like "giant hawk wants baby badger for dinner". Which I assume is why you changed it. You probably got told off. :D

I might as well grab the critters too, if you have them. I can do circular text in PS. I expect PSP uses the same general principles (set circular path and stroke path with text).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's what I have. Hope it helps.
Attachments
Zip.zip
(204.34 KiB) Downloaded 1799 times
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Another change. Got rid of the WE_Universal style, as nobody was using it anyway. Nobody seems to be using Prosilver Special Edition either, so that might end up going too.

I'll still play around with a new custom style for the site, but none of the available styles are quite what I want so I'll code it from scratch.

In the meantime, I know some people like dark styles. I like them myself sometimes (depending on mood and ambient lighting) so I've installed Prosilver Dark Edition as another option. It's basically Prosilver, with some nice custom touches and a dark colour scheme.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That ProSilver Dark is interesting. I'm going to run that for a bit and see how it settles in for me.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It's cleaner than the original and has a better visual hierarchy on font sizes, although I still think some of those could benefit from a few tweaks.

Could easily be re-done as a light style too. IMO it's good to have a light one and a dark one. Light ones are better under bright lighting (tends to screw dark styles, especially if you get reflections on the screen). Dark styles are often better under dim lighting. Some people get migraines from light styles too.

Some of the current membergroup colours don't go so well with it (too much brightness and saturation) but those can be balanced a bit if necessary. I'm not so keen on the pulsing "new posts" icons either. I might tweak those to make them static. Flashing gifs are so 90's. Not that these are gifs, but it's a similar effect.
RulerofRails
CEO

I've been classically using Prosilver. But after experimenting with the others a bit lately, I realize it's a lot better to have a darker margin/background color. I like the Aero dark background, maybe drop the extra dark gradient near the top. But I like the classic Prosilver header the best.

Can't see myself using the dark theme. Hawk's current signature is one of those colors (dark blue) that doesn't fare well.

I'm not that fussy about looks, but I figured I would give my opinion anyway. :-)
Gumboots
CEO

I find Prosilver very unappealing and IMO Aero is better, but it's not a huge favourite. Personally I think the header area on both of them is too fragmented. I prefer something like the screenshot back here: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=46728#p46717
...which to my eye is much cleaner.

That's just some minor CSS tweaks thrown at Prosilver Special Edition. Note that I did go for a darker surround. IMO the darker background distracts the eyes less than a light one, so interferes with reading less. I also prefer a fairly narrow content area because, again, it makes reading easier. There's no point trying to fill a wide monitor with long lines of text. It doesn't gain you anything in terms of usability.

One thing I learned years ago is that is you are going to have a range of styles it is generally better to not allow people to choose colours in posts and sigs, because they'll invariably choose one they think works well with whatever style they prefer and it probably won't work well with another style. OTOH if the colours are defined by the style then they always work well (assuming whoever designed it knows what they're doing).