Free (legal) RRT1 download from fileplanet.

General discussion of Sid's first version.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Free (legal) RRT1 download from fileplanet. Unread post

Hi! :)
File planet is now offering Railroad Tycoon 1,
as a free download! :)
http://www.fileplanet.com/170660/170000 ... ee-Game%5D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

You can also get it at Abandonia and you don't have to be a member, and they have RRT Deluxe too. :D
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

very true,:)
however the fileplanet version doesnt have the same grey area legally. :)
The FP version also runs fine straight away,
is the Abandonware one the same, or doe it need a dos box emlator thing or something?
Last edited by acorn_farmer_84 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

however the fileplanet version, is actually legal
There was some discussion on the old forum about this being abandon-ware. I don't recall exactly what was said though.
Now that Take2 has re-released it that may be a questionable issue. 'Course it was probably a questionable issue before. :wink:
The FP version also runs fine straight away,
is the Abandonware one the same, or doe it need a dos box emlator thing or something?
It says this about it at Abandonia:
Compatibility: This game works fine in WinXP, but you must select MCGA graphics. You'll get the same amount of colors as with VGA, but no animation. If you select VGA under WinXP the game won't start. The best way to run the game however is still the DOSBox.
Hawk
Redband
Watchman

Unread post

From the picture on fileplanet it looks as if they are actually offering Railroad Tycoon Deluxe and not Railroad Tycoon.

Abandonia says this about Deluxe
Compatibility:
The game works with WinXP, but you'll have to run the install file first and set the game to no sound (at least that worked for me). VDMSound works just fine, and no problems with MS-DOS or DOSBox either.
All folks as come to Sussex must follow Sussex wyas,
And when they've larned to know us well
There's no place else they'd wish to dwell in all their blessed days.
There ant no place like Sussex until you goes Above,
But Sussex will be Sussex, and Sussex won't be druv.
sleeper

Unread post

Well, I've downloaded it and was pleasantly surprised at what I found.
Given that's it's over 15 years old and it's FREE you can't say a bad word about it - I can see why it was so popular in it's day.
I tried out the tutorial and it worked fine - the only issue I've got is that I can only seem to lay track in a N-S or W-E direction; I can't do diagonal track which means I can't have any junctions (switches) as track has to join at a 45deg angle. I assumed that pressing two arrow keys together ought to work but my keyboard can always tell which one was thumped first!
Is there a way round this or is it a case of technology having overtaken the game?
I then tried out a proper game (NE USA). There did not seem to be any specific goals so I presume you just have to be #1 railroad.
I started off with a Baltimore-Washington line, placed a terminus in both cities but was concerned to notice that Washington was not accepting any cargos.
I could not see a reason for this except perhaps I'm not supposed to have used the largest size for both stations.
Anyone know?
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

Sid himself is offering his own game of Railroad Tycoon, btw, http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html

Hit the DOWNLOADS button when you get there.
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Interesting!
Sid is giving away Railroad Tycoon and FilePlanet is giving away Railroad Tycoon Deluxe.
I wonder why Sid is doing it like that?

Edit 1: I see now why. Sid is letting FilePlanet make money. You can't download Railroad Tycoon Deluxe unless you pay for an account at FilePlanet. The free account isn't good enough. All I wanted to do is see if that download is the same as what I have. Has anyone downloaded it?

Edit 2: I just checked the version of Railroad Tycoon I downloaded from Abandonia against the version I downloaded from Take2 and the zip size is quite a bit larger.
From Abandonia: 726 KB
From Take2: 14.2 MB

I'll have to install the Take2 version and see what's up.

Edit 3: Well, I can't get it to run. I keep getting this:

Edit 4: Never mind. Turns out I was trying to load it from the link in the 'Start' menu and it was, apparently, looking for the exe on the desktop. Clicking on the exe from inside the Raiload Tycoon folder loads the game, but---it froze up on me. :cry:
Hawk
Silverback
Watchman

Unread post

Downloaded and installed from take 2. At a quick glance Works OK using the entries in the startmenu and with sound too! Dont use the Abandonia version as the take2 version also sets up DOSbox.

Sleeper - To lay track use the numeric keypad - 7,9,1,3 to lay trackdiagonally. I didn't need to press shift even though the manual says to.

BTW its TTDeLuxe not the first version. When it comes to graphics don't forget a 12" screen was normal when it was released!

You can edit the batch file (RDX.BAT) that starts the program if you don't want the into and outro. Try REM ing out the 2k_intro.exe line and the start endslate line - RDX.bat starts windowed and RDXF.BAT starts fullscreen
kriss
Hobo

Unread post

I have de luxe on CD, don't know what version, I'll unearth it over the weekend.
It ran okay on 98 but I'll try it on XP.
Let me know if you want any info from it.
I posted the manual to someone who asked for it but it came back 3 weeks later "undeliverable"
I've since had to reinstall XP so lost all pertaining to that, if the intended recipient reads this please get in touch again.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Kriss,
I added an RRT manual to this page. Is that the one you're looking for?
Hawk
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

I'm something of a sucker for "old classics", so I may have to give RRT Deluxe a try!
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

Hawk wrote: Edit 1: I see now why. Sid is letting FilePlanet make money. You can't download Railroad Tycoon Deluxe unless you pay for an account at FilePlanet. The free account isn't good enough. All I wanted to do is see if that download is the same as what I have. Has anyone downloaded it?
???
is the deluxe one the thing i linked to at file planet?
IS that the only one file planet offers?

because i downlaoded RRT1 of some kind from fileplanet,
and i only have a free acount.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I couldn't download it with a free acount but the one offered at Take2 is the Deluxe version. I'm pretty sure it's the same one offered by FilePlanet.
Hawk
StevenB
Hobo

Unread post

This game is absolute proof that you don't need eye candy to have a good game. I never got a chance to play the original. I started with RT2. Now that I've gotten a chance to play it, I'm awed.

I wanted to send thanks to Firaxis and Take 2. dshirk, this was a very nice thing to do for your customers. Thanks to the powers at Firaxis, 2K and Take 2 for letting us look back at the wonder of Sid's original.

StevenB
Ma & Pa RR: 77 miles, 476 curves
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

I have a patch for RT Deluxe if anyone is interested.
I have never tried it so I don't know what it does.