Unused locomotive - does anyone know anything?

General discussion about Railroad Tycoon II.
eldomtom2
Hobo

Unused locomotive - does anyone know anything? Unread post

While ripping sprites I found sprites for an unused steam locomotive in the game files. The files are labelled "QUE_". Does anyone know any more about this?
'que' - unused.png
'que' - unused.png (18.97 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Unused locomotive - does anyone know anything? Unread post

It's hard to tell what it's meant to be with miniscule thumbnails like that. If you posted the shots at their actual size it might be possible to know more.
eldomtom2
Hobo

That is its sprites at full size. RRT2 sprites are not large. Download it and zoom in.
Gumboots
CEO

I tried zooming, but it's pixellated so badly that it's hard to tell what it is supposed to represent. It's obviously a pannier tank of some sort. The livery looks to be in the English style, possibly GWR. Impossible to tell the wheel arrangement, but could be 0-6-0. GWR had several classes of 0-6-0 pannier tank locos. This is all just a best guess though.
eldomtom2
Hobo

Aha! I knew I'd seen it before. It's a Jouef HOe Decauville 0-4-0.

Though what I was really looking for was information about it in the game...
Gumboots
CEO

Ok. Decauville 0-4-0 then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decauville

Jouef is just the name of the toy manufacturer who made a model of it, and HO is just the model scale.

Re use in the game: I suspect someone made it because it was something different to mainline locomotives and kinda cute, as well as having historical value, but then they couldn't think of a valid use for it in the game. I've had similar thoughts about several locos in RT3. The problem with narrow gauge locos in this sort of game is that they are way out of scale relative to cargo cars, and have far less pulling power than mainline trains (which cargo weights are set for).

To do narrow gauge properly you'd need cargo cars, buildings, etc, all made to suit. Which is possible, but is a fair amount of work, and doesn't fit in with the rest of the standard game. You'd basically end up with two separate complete installations: main line, and narrow gauge.
eldomtom2
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:28 am Jouef is just the name of the toy manufacturer who made a model of it, and HO is just the model scale.
Yes, I know. But the RRT2 locomotives are photographed from model trains.