Interesting Article on Windows 8 and The Future.

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Interesting Article on Windows 8 and The Future. Unread post

I thought maybe some folks might find this article about the Microsoft team and management, with discussion about Win 8/8.1 and future versions of Windows.

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/tur ... ows-users/
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Interesting Article on Windows 8 and The Future. Unread post

Thanks, that's interesting. The way that Windows seems to get it right every second time is amazing. XP good, Vista bad, Win7 good, Win8 bad. Almost makes me think that this is actually overall good for their business. Everyone who bought the bad one will likely buy the new good one once they realize that it isn't messed up like their old one is. Oh, the things you can do when you have a monopoly.
Blackhawk
CEO

After reading that article I think I'm more concerned about what the next version of windows will be like. I wonder who was responsible behind the failure of an update to 8.1. It adds a "start button" back but without any of the functionality of the start button which is what people wanted. While I didn't care for the win8 interface, it did load pretty fast when I tried out a beta version.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Blackhawk wrote:After reading that article I think I'm more concerned about what the next version of windows will be like.
The author did state that he was a bit bullish on the next version. Of course that opinion was based on what was said at the ZDNet article.
For now I'm sticking with XP, even though support for it ends in about a month and a half. IE: No more updates via Windows Update.
I would like to try Win 7, but I just don't have that kind of money laying around. Not only to buy the OS but a computer to run it on as I would keep this antiquated desktop for the games I enjoy, since I don't really care for a lot of the newer games, especially since buying a disk of the game seems to be a disappearing concept.
Some of the games I like, they say - will run fine on Win 7, but a few won't. There's even a couple that don't work as good on XP as they did on 98.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:Thanks, that's interesting. The way that Windows seems to get it right every second time is amazing. XP good, Vista bad, Win7 good, Win8 bad. Almost makes me think that this is actually overall good for their business. Everyone who bought the bad one will likely buy the new good one once they realize that it isn't messed up like their old one is. Oh, the things you can do when you have a monopoly.
Havne't read the article, but I noticed the same good-bad-good-bad pattern myself ages ago. It's weird how they do that. I'll wait and see what W9 is like.
Gumboots
CEO

Hawk wrote:For now I'm sticking with XP, even though support for it ends in about a month and a half. IE: No more updates via Windows Update.
So how are you going to run XP if it isn't patched? Are you going Nix for browsing?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: So how are you going to run XP if it isn't patched? Are you going Nix for browsing?
I'll just keep using it like I have been all these years. I've only got a malware one time in all my years of using a computer and that was back in the Win 95 days.
After that I started studying up on safe browsing and Internet security.
I practice safe browsing. I use PaleMoon with a few good add-ons that block scripts and ads, along with WOT, I use the Comodo dns servers (which warn you if you are directed to a site that could me mischievous), I set the security settings in the browser itself.
I also don't have Flash Player installed, which is a noted security issue itself, along with Acrobat reader.
Plus I really don't have any choice. Like I sad, financially I'm stuck here, or did you miss that part of my previous post?
Hawk wrote: I would like to try Win 7, but I just don't have that kind of money laying around. Not only to buy the OS but a computer to run it on
These days, Win 98 is probably a safer OS to browse the Internet with than newer systems. Since no one uses it anymore, hackers have probably abandoned attempts to hack into it.
I'm also not adverse to running a dual boot with a Linux distro, if it were to come to that.

I also don't spend anywhere near the time on the Internet that most people do. I don't do any of that social network stuff like Facebook and Twitter.
I don't have much interest in watching You Tube videos.
If I'm not playing a game or working in the editor of a game, I'm generally not on the computer.
I only go to a few forums of interest, deal with email, and occasional searching for a particular item, and then I don't use Google, Bing, Yahoo, or any of the more popular search engines.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Like I sad, financially I'm stuck here, or did you miss that part of my previous post?
No, I didn't miss it. That's why I asked if you were thinking of using Nix. Nix distros are free. I've thought of setting up a dual boot myself at times, but am basically too lazy. However if you can't afford W7 then some version of Nix would give better performance than XP and better security.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Nix? That's what you were talking about. I thought you were using the real word in reference to me cutting off connection to the Internet.
Cute little colloquialism, but a bit misleading in this case. :roll:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It's a common term for Linux/Unix.

The "real word" is never used in this part of the world. I've heard of it, but never heard it used. It's probably only used in the US, so frankly it didn't even occur to me.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote:The "real word" is never used in this part of the world.
That would explain it. :mrgreen:
Hawk