Future Trains?

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).

Future Trains and Rollingstock

Poll ended at Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Retrofuturism

No votes
Mad Max style

1(50%)
Snowpiercer

1(50%)
Ghosts of Mars

No votes
Walt Disney was right

No votes
There is no future, there is only steam

No votes

Total votes: 2

Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Future Trains? Unread post

If there were to be made a future set of rolling stock (ex., year 3,000 and beyond), what theme would you prefer to see?
Retrofuturism
Retrofuturism
c52500170b179653f6babe13d1e0ee9d.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 12635 times
Retrofuturism - based on classic sci-fi and "world of tomorrow" art of the 1910s-1950s
Mad Max
Mad Max
Mad Max - The world has gone wrong, make it yourself from whatever parts you can find.
Snowpiercer
Snowpiercer
Snowpiercer - sleek, fast, and a lot like the DD 080-X
Ghosts of Mars
Ghosts of Mars
Ghosts of Mars (2001) - heavily armored, blocky design, a sort of perpetual war theme
Walt Disney's future
Walt Disney's future
Walt Disney's vision of the future - nothing but traffic jams and monorails
There is only steam
There is only steam
A coal-dust-powered steam locomotive for the Baikal-Amur line, Luigi Colani, 1979
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Future Trains? Unread post

Look up "Cosmic Motors". I'd be taking inspiration from that lot.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

I'm familiar with Daniel Simon's designs, they're phenomenal. But I haven't seen any train/rail designs by him yet (and I looked) or I'd have included him. Sadly, I'm the "have to see it to make it" sort, so more the draughtsman than the artist. So I went with what I could "see" to make :D
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok. Well the "Martian rails" thing looks ridiculous. I'm kinda over Mad Max at the moment. Ghost of Mars doesn't appeal. Nothing but traffic jams and monorails sounds horrible. The Colani thing looks ridiculous too.

That leaves Snowpiercer as the best of the bunch. But I'd do it with a view to how such a thing would actually work. That's the problem with a lot of concept art: it's so divorced from reality that it doesn't produce results that look like functional machines. So I'd style along Snowpiercer lines, but without doing anything obviously stupid.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Yeah, concept art is usually full of the impractical and downright silly.
The prosecution rests...
The prosecution rests...
The retrofuturist stuff covers a wide spectrum of looks, that's just one at random. The New York Central Mercury and PRR S1, for instance, are full-on retrofuturist in design. But then you run into stuff like this:
3195d17befd86a6b8f111e476134a16b.jpg
13f66965700ea8d15712b8211ab91434.jpg
Last edited by Just Crazy Jim on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

And there's always Supertrain (1979 US TV series)...
201412_81_30641_DXmyp6Qjy.jpg
A nuclear-powered bullet train, who doesn't want one of those?
640.jpg
Then again... :lol:

The toy company Mattel came out with a series of trains sets, Mattel Hotline, about the same time with a pair of jet engines on the locos with a similar look.
Hotline3.jpg~original.jpg
They weren't terrible popular with train fans, so you don't see them very often offered by vendors at train modelling shows, but they do have a small fan base.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I still like Mad Max. The vehicle designs, that is. The movie was OK but I always like the vehicles. :mrgreen:
Hawk
AMD 103
Watchman

While I'm a little late to the board, I'd side with Gumboots on this. I didn't like any of the poll choices because they don't reflect how real rail equipment would look. They just all seem too...off.

The most reasonably futuristic locomotive in RT3 would have to be the E88, with its clean crisp lines, sans either the extra flares of the Trans-Euro (A very dressed up Eurostar), or the big maw and pointy front of the DD-080X.

Speaking of which, anyone remember the TBX-1 Maglev from Railroad Tycoon 2? It looks an awful lot like the running shoe shape modern HSR trains have.
TBX-1.jpg
(Colorized version made from Black and White Render.)

Regardless, it's a nice, futuristic shape which could be turned into a typical locomotive without too much effort.