Cargo & Industry fixes for 1.06

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Cargo & Industry fixes for 1.06 Unread post

Blackhawk wrote:There could also be the change from crystals to sand/silica.
Yes. My vote is sand, and keep the Electronics cargo chain simple without trying to represent silicon. Silicon is for chips and they were invented in the 1960s, but before a meaningful amount was used we probably need to fast forward to the 1980s. So use Glass in the recipe. Plastic can also be used when it is available. We should probably be thinking about the uses for Plastic, as we are planning to remove the demand from the T&D. Glass demand could disappear at some stage in the mid- to late 1900s.

On the subject of Waste, if it is kept, Glass and Plastic are probably better outputs at the Recycling Plant than Steel and Aluminum, especially since Waste in the game seems to be domestic (produced mainly at houses). 3 outputs was always a problem for the Recycling Plant, but don't know if this is worth changing. Like you said, Waste could be replaced as it does very little for the game. I am not convinced about the need for Luxury Goods or Consumer Goods, mainly because it is too difficult to keep Goods at a factory to be combined with another cargo.
Blackhawk wrote:I don't think really want to create multiple industries to do the same thing. I'd rather just use some other name like Factory, Manufacturing Plant, Manufactory, or Industrial Plant instead to avoid the issue of Assembly Plants not appearing until the 1880s.
Fair enough, good idea to keep things simple. Is there a limit on how long industry names can be? For example, is Industrial Manufacturing Plant too long?

I am thinking some more, there may be some use in keeping the Assembly Line especially if the current Aluminum introduction date is kept. (BTW, an Assembly Line sounds like the right place for Parts/ToolsDies/ForgedMetal to be demanded.) This depends on something else, i.e. how many different combinations of Lumber, Glass, and Parts/ToolsDies/ForgedMetal do we want in the original industry that replaces the Toy Factory (be it called Factory, Manufacturing Plant. etc.)? It may be good to introduce a second industry (Assembly Line) in 1910 when Aluminum and Electronics are introduced. If we are wanting to include these new cargoes in any combinations with Lumber, Glass, or Parts/ToolsDies/ForgedMetal we may need more room to display those conversions or it may simply be wise to keep some of them separate due to the price differences of some of the input cargoes. However, this also depends on what the output of the T&D is called and should Aluminum be used in it? I am leaning towards no. That's why I was trying to clarify in my mind at least what it is that the T&D will be doing, to help decide how it should be used in any subsequent industries.

What is the problem with the footprint of TM's Industrial Assembly Line? If I remember right it is the same as the Auto Plant, as they both extend a lot when upgraded. Do they become too big to fit on one cell?
Blackhawk wrote:A 1.07 Machine Shop could have an earlier date than 1860. One of it's main ingredients would be the cargo from the T&D so it could appear as early as when the T&D appears most likely.
Ok, yes, forget some of the complication I posted about switching things over (such as the early Ingots->Goods idea). I forgot that the reason for this late introduction was the appearance of Oil. !facepalm! (1880 was a more realistic introduction date for Oil, should it be moved back to 1880 as in 1.05?) While I am not 100% sure about the conversion from Iron->ToolsDies, putting an Iron demand at the Machine Shop would make it too easy to produce. So this will work out ok, which is nice. !*th_up*!
sidekikd34
Watchman

RulerofRails wrote:What is the problem with the footprint of TM's Industrial Assembly Line? If I remember right it is the same as the Auto Plant, as they both extend a lot when upgraded. Do they become too big to fit on one cell?
The footprint is smaller than the upgraded building, so if you build the Industrial Assembly Line right next to any building, the side that expands when upgraded will go into the building next door.

My thoughts on the Tool&Die/Machine Shop flow is that IRL tool&die manufacturers make things that machine shops use to produce their products. So the Machine Shop is making machinery from multiple types of metals and alloys (Steel, Ingots [which I would prefer called something like Specialty Metals, but we have a length issue]), also using the ToolsDies output. Could be either a 2-input or 3-input setup, I'm thinking pick 2 of these recipes: 1 Ingots+1 ToolsDies=2 Machinery, or 1 Steel+1 ToolsDies=2 Machinery or 1 Steel+1 Ingots+1 ToolsDies=3 Machinery. The down side is that limits the market for Tool&Die output, so it would have to be low production.
RulerofRails
CEO

From this picture you can tell the Auto Plant has the same footprint problem:
Auto Plant upgraded foot-print issue.jpg
Auto Plant upgraded foot-print issue.jpg (244.17 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. :-(
sidekikd34 wrote:The down side is that limits the market for Tool&Die output, so it would have to be low production.
Are you saying that you don't see a need for other uses of ToolsDies? Such as in a factory that mirrors TM's Assembly Line, whatever it gets called?
Gumboots
CEO

sidekikd34 wrote:Is Gumboots still going to fix the loco issues? I don't know what they are, TBH as long as they go from here to there and don't look bad from a thousand feet, I'm good. :-)
I may fix issues as I feel like it, but since it became clear that Gumboots would have to do all the work and nobody else would be chipping in, Gumboots has been somewhat less enthusiastic. :mrgreen: I tend to play RT3 in binges, with breaks between. TBH I haven't played it since earlier this year, and have been busy with other things. That means there has been no progress on locomotive fixes.

Personally I like having the trains look good close up too, as part of the fun with this game (ok, a lot of the fun) is train rides, etc. Some people regard this as "not improving gameplay", which in the purely strategic sense is true, but not the only factor for me.
sidekikd34 wrote::idea: Something else to include in our "bandaid"- adjusted weights for Caboose and Diner. I've edited them down to match Passenger cars for each era, 3-7-13-27 tons. No way they should be the weight of a loaded freight car. !#2bits#!
Good one. Grabbed those. Will use them next time I play. (0!!0)
sidekikd34
Watchman

RulerofRails wrote:From this picture you can tell the Auto Plant has the same footprint problem:
Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. :-(
The Auto Plant seems to be the only building that upgrades to be significantly larger than its base footprint. Unfortunately it's also the only building that size, so I can't see how to grab the BTY footprint from something comparable. :-(
RulerofRails
CEO

Auto Plant with Steel Mill footprint.jpg
Auto Plant with Steel Mill footprint.jpg (384.37 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
This is what happens if you use the Steel Mill footprint. There is a fair bit of wasted space. It is not clear from this angle, but only one tank at the perimeter of the building is over the footprint boundaries. I don't know if that's any better than the current situation. Another way to go would be simply not to allow the building to upgrade or not change its appearance when upgraded. I don't know, but I am guessing this is possible?

Free angle camera can be fun. :-D
sidekikd34
Watchman

Yeah, that's not a good solution to me. If we could change the rotation of the footprint, we'd be all set, because several buildings are the same size but rotated 90 degrees...
Gumboots
CEO

The footprint should be coded as a pair of basic X and Y axis measurements, probably as a float. It should be trivial to change it once the relevant bytes are identified. I'll take a look tonight.
Gumboots
CEO

It seems that most of the .bty file was never deciphered by Pjay, or if it was there was nothing much recorded in his notes. Most of what he did write down makes no sense to me, so unless someone has it figured out already I think changing footprints is going to be very difficult (which is irritating, because in principle it's a piece of cake).

What his notes have is this:
BTY file spec (41827 bytes)
=============================
000 000 : 4 : EC03 0000 : 1004
000 004 : 30 : String : UNIQUE identifier (if not unique, strange things will happen)
000 034 : 30 : String : Building Category (bca-file name)
000 064 : 60 : String : start of 3dp-file name (*.3dp is attached), also used for the picture in the small window.
000 124 : 60 : String : Mipmap name (tga, jpg or dds file name)
000 184 : 3 : ? : ?0 : 060630
000 187 : 4 : int : ?1 : 0 or 500
000 191 : 4 : float : ?2 : 0 (?1=0) or 1.5 (?1=500)
000 195 : 4 : int : architect style
000 199 : 4 : int : ?3 : 0
000 203 : 2 : int : track-section X pos
000 205 : 2 : int : track-section Y pos
000 207 : 36*48*24 = 41472 : occupied data
041 679 : 4 : int : ?4 : 0
041 683 : 4 : int : ?5 : 0 or 1
041 687 : 12*5 : ?6's
041 747 : 30 : string : fertilizer increases this farm's output for...
041 777 : 4 : int : ?7
041 781 : 46 : 00000000000 ....

occupied data
------------------
0,5,6,..: outside footprint
1 : land
2 : water
3 : land or water
4 : tracks
So there's a huge block of "occupied data", but no indication of where in that block the footprint would be recorded. Nor do there appear to be any coordinates recorded in that block. Most of it is just zeroes, with a few chunks of 1's thrown in. Nothing that would indicate integer values for x and y coordinates for the footprint.
Gumboots
CEO

Had a thought about this. If anyone really wants to know how to change footprints, I think the best way of figuring it out would be to compare the .bty files for the small and large stations of the same style (clapboard, Victorian, etc). These should be almost identical since the .bty file doesn't handle any of the modelling. The only things that change with station size are the building footprint, the capture area, and the number of track segments taken up by the building.

So, if the two files are compared and the differences noted, this should enable anyone to pretty quickly nail down how to do footprint adjustments.

I'm not interested in doing this myself at the moment, but it shouldn't be a huge drama for anyone who is determined to figure it out.
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote:Had a thought about this. If anyone really wants to know how to change footprints, I think the best way of figuring it out would be to compare the .bty files for the small and large stations of the same style (clapboard, Victorian, etc).
Thanks for your input and attempt to fix this issue. I took a peek at two station files (small and large clapboard). There are bunches of 4's in there as well as the ones and zeroes. I am not sure what to attempt to compare as the data that is in there is offset and even similar clumps are of different lengths. **!!!**

Anyway, I decided to open up the Medium clapboard station. This compares much better to the small, especially toward the end. They almost line up. Unfortunately, I am not skilled to decipher what differences I find might mean, so can't see anything useful coming from my tinkering. Good luck with whatever you are up to these days.
sidekikd34
Watchman

In hunting through the files working on my other thread about the Dining Car crash, I discovered something that I had previously overlooked. I had adjusted the weights of the Caboose and Diner to match the Passenger car type of their era, but I just realized there's a separate cargo entry for Passengers for each car, which gives them a much higher loaded weight. In fact, the original Caboose and Diner cars weighed the same as loaded Passenger cars. Perhaps we shouldn't make them lighter after all?
Gumboots
CEO

I've been looking through various aspects of RT3 coding again, just to get myself back up to speed since I'd pretty much forgotten everything. Among other things, I decided to take a look at the .bty files again to see if I could see anything relating to building footprint.

The answer is no. I've been right through the .bty files for several different stations and buildings. Most of the file appears to be empty content. Due to the way floats work, a lot of hex coding other than 00 00 00 00 can still be 0 when converted to decimal. This is the case with just about all bytes anywhere in the .bty files. Even the long blocks of 44 44 44 44 or whatever are just meaningless garbage. I've re-read PJ's notes too, and tried to correlate those with the cross-checked file contents for several buildings. Nothing.

Short version: as far as I can tell, the building footprint is simply not coded anywhere in the .bty files. It may be hard coded as part of the .exe. If that is the case, the only way of changing building footprint is to start with another model and go from there.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:
Auto Plant with Steel Mill footprint.jpg
This is what happens if you use the Steel Mill footprint. There is a fair bit of wasted space. It is not clear from this angle, but only one tank at the perimeter of the building is over the footprint boundaries. I don't know if that's any better than the current situation. Another way to go would be simply not to allow the building to upgrade or not change its appearance when upgraded. I don't know, but I am guessing this is possible?

Free angle camera can be fun. :-D
Bit of an update on this. Although I still have no idea how to adjust the footprint in the .bty file, and since Pjay hasn't been seen for years, I'm not sure when (if ever) we'll be able to adjust footprint dimensions. I will try PM'ing Milo since he dropped in here in April this year, and may remember something.

However, since the basics of Blender import/export are now sorted and improvements should be forthcoming, it should be a fairly simple matter to adjust the building .3dp files to keep it inside the current footprint. I know how to do that in principle.

1/ Import the building .3dp.
2/ Find and select the problematic vertices.
3/ Move the verts to where they will behave themselves.
4/ Export the result.
5/ Murder anyone who suggests Gumboots does the job. :mrgreen:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: 5/ Murder anyone who suggests Gumboots does the job. :mrgreen:
^**lylgh Sounds like you're not interested in doing it. ^**lylgh
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

I'm driving myself nuts with trains. Someone else can drive themselves nuts with buildings. !*th_up*!

After I get the Schools class 4-4-0 finished sometime this decade, I want to get some Australian locos up and running so I can play my Royal Tour map with the right locos. That'll keep me busy for a while.

Oh yeah, and I'd like to try doing some streamliners too, just in case I live to be 395 and need something to pass the time.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, when I was doing modeling for MSTS and Railworks, I spent my time on buildings, bridges and other miscellaneous and sundry items. I've never built an engine in a modeling program.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Cool. You've got the job then. ^**lylgh
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, I wasn't really applying for the job, but I can give it a shot. I always did like modeling.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Hey has anyone got a clear screenshot of exactly what the problem is with the auto plant footprint? There are some shots in this thread, but they don't show the exact problem clearly.

Reason I ask is that last night I was feeling like playing around with Blender a bit to refresh my memory, but didn't want to tackle anything really serious at the time. So, I imported a bunch of models, including several of the 1.05/CtC buildings and locomotives and one or two of the 1.06 locos. IOW, the Auto Plant model is already set up and ready to mutate.

I even managed to learn a bit more about RT3 files. Turns out the ones that have Anim (with a capital A) in the name are just like any other mesh .3dp, and contain hex for components that move during the game. The other anim files (lower case a) are not mesh .3dp's as such, as far as I can tell at the moment. I think they give path instructions for the movement of the stuff in the Anim files, but haven't quite figured them out yet.