Updated Loco Pack

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Updated Loco Pack Unread post

Updated loco pack

As I have mentioned, I am working with an update for the loco pack. Main part is making wheel axles working better. (Arop would be happy) I have been able to correct some, but sadly three coupled (0-6-0) are beyound repair. Other work includes some adjustment to specs and skin jobs. I have set personal deadline as same as the patch work, around end of February.

I have specs issues with German engines G3, G10 and BR39. G3 needs to be boosted to become useful, G10 might need also slight increase and perhaps BR39 should be downgraded. I might also want make British Princess more stronger, as it was one of the most powerful British Steam engines, but I haven’t make my mind about it yet.

Mogul vs. Consolidation. I read Lama’s comments with interest. Good points, however I still might want to stick with the idea Mogul being replacement for early Consolidation. However, I have been thinking to lower Mogul’s power, but Lama’s comments about need for early NA freight engine have made me think about this. On same note, I would like take Duke away from NA. I has so British look and computer companies just love this engine. To me it looks silly when Dukes are running around in NA scenarios. I don’t think Duke is needed anymore as Mogul does same work.

CJ has made requests for wolrd engines. I suggest H10 and all GPs have wolrd availbility. Otherwise I am not sure what else. I have a Russian P36 4-8-4 (most numerious of all Northern’s built) project, but it is in very early stages. I could make South African Railways’ Class 25 4-8-4 (of 1953) from Red Devil. (in fact the Red Devil was/is rebuilt Class 25) Another possibility could be Indian/SouthEastAsian small Pacific. (I could base it on P8 and thus it would be a really small Pacific)

What else? Yeah, I guess you have seen my two new engines. These would be refined and added to the list. Besides of those, I have advance Electric Multiple Unit project. I will post it sometime around Christmas. I am testing new methods for making skins. (BTW Milo I will contact you later about this EMU)

While the update loco pack might be included with 1.06 patch, I see these two as separate project. While the patch will affect the game itself, the locos do not have same effect. I would compare new locos more with the scenarios. New locos may have effect on some scenarios, but they do not change the game. Scenarios can be played without the new locos, even if the scenario maker have selected the new locos. (Of course it will affect scenario balance)
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

One more item. I forgot to mention that I think to scrap Royal Hudson and Prairie. Current forms do not work, and i need to rethink those.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

I add to this a possible engine change list. I feel that this kind of pack should focus on offering a variation of engines that fills existing holes. Thus engines that duplicates roles of Poptop's engines are not really needed.

Anyway scarp list:
Prairie (body shape wrong, wheels not working)
Royal Hudson (not looking "right", would need a proper skin. I think NYC Hudson is better for this role)
Princess Royal ??? (I like this engine but offers little extra between Class A1 and German Class 01)
Any one else????? Do people want Class 73 or Class 91.

Possible add-ons

NYC Hudson. (Been asked now almost done)
Penn G5 4-6-0 (a nice little engine, but is it needed)
EMU Sm2 (if it is possible to get it accept passengers)
TGV from Al (a really nice one, can't hardly wait)
E-7 (possibly)

World engines. Yep as CJ has pointed there is need for those, but perhaps it could different separate pack.

BTW I have editing some specs. Is any one interested in joining this process, or am I allowed to do how I see is best?
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

I know very little about trains so I vote for you to carry on with your excellent spec editing :wink:

Quickly added dirt texture to the white, yellow and dark grey bits:
I went a little heavy on the dirt, and another rushed job. Use poptop’s textures, look for a white/light one, then just change the lighting, colours, and contrast then paste it all over the place instead of filling with flat colour. What do you think?
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Well to be honest I have no clue how to do it. I know little about Paint programs. I have Paint Shop Pro 7, and it is a nice program but I still trying to learn what can be done with it. I have some attempt with texturing, but results have not satisfied me and PSP7 have limited texturing etc. choices.

This is something I am interested in to learn more, but skinning is not really my forte...
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

:) I'll try to explain, Paint Shop Pro 7 is a nice program, good enough for textures. Here's how you can do what I did above:

The first thing you need is a texture without many details (so no wheels or windows etc). The side of a train or tender for example usually has a large part without details. Try to get the biggest piece, any colour. Copy that texture into the loco’s skin you want to texturize by going Edit -> Paste -> As New Layer.

Go back to the background layer (or at least the one you want to add texture to. So in your Class 91 select the layer with the white bit using the ‘Magic Wand’ tool.

Now without deselecting go back to the new pasted layer with the texture. Invert the selection by going Selections -> Invert. Delete everything now selected (after inverting) in that layer.

Now you have a piece of your loco with a texture on it, but it's the wrong colour or too dark (whatever). Now use the options available in Colors -> Adjust to make it resemble the original colour (the white one for example). You can make an almost dark texture bright yellow etc. Then just merge visible layers to get it on there permanently.

The explanation above works with all 2d programs, like photoshop, gimp, elements etc. Only the functions change. I took a rest from skinning and somehow managed to add 2 new cargos and about five new buildings to the game. Just need to texture them now :roll:
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

By the way to let everybody know. I have sent Hawk an updated engine files and these should be included in the FTP folder.

The zip includes a number of modification to loco pack engines. Consolidation and Mogul have swapped dates once again and German engine's pulling powers have been changed. (G4+, G10+, BR39-) and wheel working and skins have been improved. Prairie and Royal Hudson are gone for now, and I am thinking to withdraw some of the Brits too. These may later be re-introduced in separate packs. Assuming that I have time.

P.S. Update doesn't have install feature and contain only files that are changed. To use these files, you must replace originals with new ones.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

these should be included in the FTP folder.
Actually they're on the Extras page. :wink:
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Ok, Hawk. :) Actually I intended it for limited consumpion and because of it I didn't even write a Read Me. However could you please but it together with Un-offical Loco Pack, so that people will know that it is update to that pack. Not to my engines in general.

When Milo gets his things sorted out, this could be attached with proper install program. :wink:

I am still messing with the documents. Sorry it takes time. And possible two more improved skins will come soon.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Yeah, I'm a little behind there. Judging from the response to the alphas, we're going to have only one Beta release - which we may have to throw open to the whole board to get enough feedback - so it makes sense to hold off until we both have first-pass documentation ready.

I haven't started on the installer yet, but it'll work the same way that the first Loco Pack did.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Actually I intended it for limited consumpion and because of it I didn't even write a Read Me
Ah, sorry Bombar. You didn't say anything about it being limited. You also didn't say anything about it being for the Loco Pack.
After re-reading your email and reading your post I put two and two together and realized what you were saying but I didn't see that to begin with.
So-what exactly do you want me to do with the zip? Should I pull it from public accessibility? Should I place it in the engmod folder? Should I add it to the Loco Pack zip.
Please explain.

Edit 1: OK! I've removed it from the public location where it was. What should I do with it next.
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Sorry about the confusion :) I have used the word update so much that I forgot it may mean something different to others. :oops:

I see no harm it to be available to the "public". Just could you please put in the Loco Pack box so that everyone know what it is suppose to update. Also please state that it has no Read Me, so the user must know what he is doing. Ta

Milo no worries about the delay. Things happen when they happen. If you need more feedback you can send latest Alpha to my email. I guess I have only 01, which is working fine in my system.

P.S. I think that Loco doccumentation is good enough for Beta. For the final work, I want to include "improvements" to the documents.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Got'cha!
I'll take care of that this morning. :)

Edit 1: Got 'er done. :)
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Updated Loco Pack Unread post

Not sure this needs to be sticky any more. ;-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Updated Loco Pack Unread post

Un-sticky'd
Hawk