Locomotive fixes for 1.06

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Re: Locomotive fixes for 1.06 Unread post

Gumboots wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am
We are trying to get away from that, because we are trying to get away from everyone just hauling auto consists everywhere. We are deliberately designing in more specific loco stats, so that each loco will have an optimum use and there will be reasons for using each loco in the roster.

This wont prevent some overlap. For example, an express loco will be able to haul a reefer or two of milk along with express cars, which is how they were used IRL. And it will be fine to use a heavy freight loco to haul pax over steep grades, at the cost of some revenue loss due to lower pax appeal. But, in general, we don't want a roster full of one-size-fits-all locos.
Hey, you just described my playstyle. ^**lylgh *!*!*!

Ok, this is interesting indeed. !*th_up*! Yes, this would suit to my idea of variation. And nothing stop me to make some general purpose engines. As long as I remember not to give overrated stats. ;-)
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah I know. It's my playing style too. It's everyone's playing style. ^**lylgh

But we were kinda over it, so thought we should try to set up something different to make things more interesting.

And anyone can make any locos with any stats they like. If somebody else doesn't like it, they don't have to use that loco. Or they can change the stats. Whatever.
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

does anybody interested in make a FS Class E.402A locomotive? not the freccia bianca E.402B, the ridge-shaped hull is cool.
btw, how to modify or save .PK4 files? i've wasted so much time to find a way do this
Gumboots
CEO

Trefoglie AR wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:39 pmdoes anybody interested in make a FS Class E.402A locomotive?
Yes. You. :-D
btw, how to modify or save .PK4 files?
I use the PK4Pack and PK4Unpack tools. Zip attached. Note that these tools do require your computer to have Java installed.

Extract instructions here: Getting the #^$% thing to work (for mugs that know nothing)

Pack instructions here: Getting the other thing to work

Since writing those instructions I have learned that it is not necessary to use the command line. Double-clicking the .bat file works, for extraction or packing.

Edit: For anyone who wants to model this locomotive, the Wiki page is here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_E.402
Technical details and profile diagrams are available here - Locomotiva elettrica 3 kV CC E.402 A
Detail shots are available here - 645-040 - Album Fotografico
Attachments
PK4_stuff.zip
(156.08 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

well...thanks for the reply.
but i dont even know what it is going on, double-click the pack4.exe it will close in a blink of eye. no new file, not even a bit of change.
OS is win10, is this the cause?
Lux Aurorae Videsne?
Gumboots
CEO

It should work with W10. Do you have Java? And have you edited the batch file to use the right file name?
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:44 pm It should work with W10. Do you have Java? And have you edited the batch file to use the right file name?
i just got java and tried trainskin.bat,nothing problem with this one.
i'm changing fs class e.412 texture so this is my list:
E412_Brenner_Loco_D.dds
E412_Brenner_Loco_E.dds
E412_Brenner_Profile.imb
E412_Brenner_Profile_A.dds
E412_Brenner_BeautyShot.imb
E412_Brenner_BeautyShot_A.dds
E412_Brenner_BeautyShot_B.dds
E412_Brenner_BeautyShot_C.dds
E412_Brenner_Loco_A.dds
E412_Brenner_Loco_B.dds
E412_Brenner_Loco_C.dds

and for the batch file:
pack4 E412L.lst
Lux Aurorae Videsne?
Gumboots
CEO

And you have the packing files in the same directory as the files you want to pack?

They have to be in that directory, not in another folder inside that directory.
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:05 pm And you have the packing files in the same directory as the files you want to pack?

They have to be in that directory, not in another folder inside that directory.
so they must be together. got it
Lux Aurorae Videsne?
Gumboots
CEO

Yes. Does it work now?
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm Yes. Does it work now?
it works now but seems my rrt3 cannot display diy texture {,0,}

nah, must place the modified file into [\Data\PopTopExtraContent] not [\Data\UserExtraContent] {,0,}
Last edited by Trefoglie AR on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux Aurorae Videsne?
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, this is a start.

If the skin won't display it is probably due to:

1/ Wrong DDS compression. It has to be DXT3. The other formats (DXT1 and DXT5) are no good for RT3.

2/ Wrong coding in the .dsc file.
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pm Ok, this is a start.

1/ Wrong DDS compression. It has to be DXT3. The other formats (DXT1 and DXT5) are no good for RT3.

i just change the directory and it works
Lux Aurorae Videsne?
Gumboots
CEO

Ok. Cool. (0!!0)

It will work if you put the custom skin in Data/PopTopExtraContent or in Data/UserExtraContent.
You can use either of those directories for any custom stuff.

I usually put WIP stuff in UserExtraContent, and finished stuff in PopTopExtraContent.
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pm Ok, this is a start.

well.. the texture will break in few seconds. is there any resolution? i've been noticed this problem long ago, but this time some model with high-quality texture will display as plain model- - no texture except first few seconds

find out the cause is some of the skin mod's low-resolution texture unable to read {,0,} {,0,} {,0,}
Last edited by Trefoglie AR on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux Aurorae Videsne?
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, that sounds like the old blurry texture bug. Is the model turning plain grey, like this?

That bug is caused by modern computers having more VRAM than RT3 can deal with. The best solution is the Voodoo graphics fix. I advise reading that page and the next one to get an idea of how to use it.

The actual download is here: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_54.zip
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm Ok, that sounds like the old blurry texture bug. Is the model turning plain grey, like this?

That bug is caused by modern computers having more VRAM than RT3 can deal with. The best solution is the Voodoo graphics fix. I advise reading that page and the next one to get an idea of how to use it.

The actual download is here: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_54.zip
yep. that's the point. and that 3 dll really solve the problem.
at least i would never bear with gray locomotive again. it seems buildings would still break their textures but better than before. btw when i use winxp there was dollar image when train makes profit, now it was just cylinder, even i paste that .dlls
Lux Aurorae Videsne?
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Trefoglie AR wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:37 pm
nah, must place the modified file into [\Data\PopTopExtraContent] not [\Data\UserExtraContent] {,0,}
If you want to replace Pop Top's texture then it must in \Data\PopTopExtraContent folder. Extra locomotives can be in UserExtraContent folder.

(You described PK4Pack process in a such way that it made me think that you are replacing Brenner. Not making a new loco ;-) )
it seems buildings would still break their textures but better than before
Do you have a screen shot of this? It would be interesting to see. It would help to understand what is wrong.

Welcome to loco modding. This is the way I begun.
Gumboots
CEO

bombardiere wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 am
Trefoglie AR wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:37 pm nah, must place the modified file into [\Data\PopTopExtraContent] not [\Data\UserExtraContent] {,0,}
If you want to replace Pop Top's texture then it must in \Data\PopTopExtraContent folder. Extra locomotives can be in UserExtraContent folder.
I've been testing skin replacements in UserExtraContent and it works fine, if you do them as loose files. The custom ones won't override the defaults if they are packed into PK4's. They have to be loose.

All of the files shown here are what I have been using for quick live testing of custom express cars, just so I can do the testing without worrying about edits to CargoTypes and EngineTypes.
UEC_folder_106.jpg
They would also work if I put them in PopTopExtraContent. I've done that too. I just prefer to keep PTEC for finalised stuff, and use UEC for WIP stuff. This just makes things easier for me when I'm doing a lot of testing. The PopTopExtraContent folder on the same installation looks like this:
PEC_folder_106.jpg
As you can see it has a stack of packed skins for default locos, and they work. It also has complete custom locos, and they work too. As far as I can tell there is no difference between these two folders in terms of how they operate. I just tested swapping the packed Connie skins over to UserExtraContent, and they work just as well there. If a skin works in one folder but not in the other folder I would suspect a coding error somewhere, or possibly a loose override file in one folder that wasn't accounted for.
Trefoglie AR
Hobo

bombardiere wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 am
Trefoglie AR wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:37 pm

(You described PK4Pack process in a such way that it made me think that you are replacing Brenner. Not making a new loco ;-) )
it seems buildings would still break their textures but better than before
Do you have a screen shot of this? It would be interesting to see. It would help to understand what is wrong.

Welcome to loco modding. This is the way I begun.
well the problem is, that voodoo plug-in postponed the texture crash. sometimes in a larger map or there are more buildings in the map the texture will break earlier. and with many trains on map it will break too. sometimes 2-hour, sometimes 30-minute.
Lux Aurorae Videsne?