Cargo weight revamping

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
Gumboots
CEO

Cargo weight revamping Unread post

I've hijacked this old post for use as a drop-off point for updated cargo car zips and associated spreadsheets.

I'll put all the cargo car packs here, and keep it updated as I go.
!*th_up*!
October 18, 2020:
Added new caboose pack.
Fixes several bugs in previous pack.
Contains all custom eras for the Caboose.
Also contains a file named Read_me_your_life_may_depend_on_it.txt
Reading it would be a good idea. Even better if you actually take notice of it. (0!!0)
October 17, 2020:
Added new express cars pack.
Contains all custom eras for Mail, Passengers, Dining Car and Troops.
Also contains a file named Read_me_if_you_value_your_sanity.txt
You are advised to read that. :mrgreen:

Also added:
Car_Planner_Final.ods (spreadsheet) - gives complete details of the custom weight scale, car names, etc.
Attachments
Complete_caboose_pack_18_10_2020.zip
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
Car_Planner_Final.ods
(62.32 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Complete_express_pack_17_10_2020.zip
(11.01 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by Gumboots on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Cargo weight revamping: express/freight differences Unread post

Should have attached this earlier. This is WP&P's provisional spreadsheet stats for revamped cargo cars (see bottom of post).

One reason he said he wanted the freight weights higher was for strategic purposes. His thinking was that if freights became a real burden on grades, this would force more strategic track laying. You wouldn't be able to just drag track across terrain without worrying too much about grades.

I can see the appeal of this, but it may royally screw up AI's. They're stupid enough to just keep laying crappy track anyway. So, if including AI's with heavier freights you may need events to boost hauling power for their trains to keep them operational.

Since he sent me this we have more or less concluded that perhaps the upper limits on freight weight should be decreased a bit, mostly so engines don't break, and if a larger difference between freight and express is needed then express weight also could be decreased a bit. His provisional stats in the spreadsheet have an average freight weight that looks reasonable, but the weights for some particular cars are astronomical. With some of them being up to 300 tons each in the later eras, you could get freight trains up to 2400 tons. By comparison, the default PopTop cars for the D era give a maximum consist weight of 640 tons, so 2400 could cause problems.

Another thing which has been brought up recently is fuel economy. If freights get heavier, you'll burn more fuel to haul them. If they get too heavy, you'll burn so much fuel that hauling them simply won't be worth it. This could lead to an unstable economy, with cargo just building up at the source until the price suddenly spikes somewhere else. It could also cause difficulties with supplying industry. You may need far more use of custom consists.

Edit: Old spreadsheet removed.
Last edited by Gumboots on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

I took a look at WP&Ps planner. It's pretty, and the "averaged" curves look good. Those extra heavy freight cars are a bit strange though. If 2 or 3 cars are represented in an era, why only apply that to some of them?

Most people use auto consists extensively which is really mixed consists. In my experience it's a difficult task without a haul everything except option to get a seperation in cargoes that a train will haul. New maps could be designed for this and some such as SCBC (for 1.05) are not bad.

Even though I like to experiment, I have never played a whole game with custom consists even in TM. Auto consist is just too useful for delivering consumer cargo to the areas of highest demand stress free. 1.06 haul-at-a-loss, while great for industry supply routes, destroys much of a mixed custom consists ability to remotely mimic the auto feature. My motto is not to compete with what the game is good at. I would think seriously about limiting the maximum spread between the freight cargo weights to a sensible figure. If mainly increasing the way WP&P proposes I would suggest trying to limit same era differences to maybe 25%.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm going to throw something else out there: consider a much lower maximum around 100 tons. The important thing is the relationship between trains hauling that weight. So what if a heavy freight car "weighs" 300 or 100 tons, no one sees that figure.
Pros (I can think of right now):
  • - locomotive setting changes, especially weights, pulling power and free weight are going to be more noticeable at the tight end of the scale
    - reliability and fuel cost ratings can be kept in the mid portion of the range where they look good (most are at or above Average and if neccesary a general bump down a level or two for fuel wouldn't be disruptive) giving the scenario creator better options to increase or decrease these settings.
    - A 8 car Big Boy in 1950 (620+640=1260 tons) will burn 150k+ of fuel and 30k new on a decent years work (2 trips at 120k each, a decent average profit IMO).

Best case: profit = 240k-180k = 60k. A poor showing.

Assuming an average engine weight of 300 tons. An engine with average fuel and reliability stats will perform the same way with WP&Ps average weight in 1950 and the problem will just get rapidly worse after that.

- The game bug which affects all cargo price events restricts a per-scenario modification of prices which would be necessary before any profit could really be made above the 1260 ton level of the Big Boy.
Cons
  • - Passenger balance might be problematic, car and train weight can be cut very low, but fuel costs and reliability may look unnatural. But, passenger revenues can be adjusted more successfully per scenario.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mixed engines need an economic reason to discouraging their use for passenger routes. Maybe they need to "technically" be a bit heavier than the mountain loving freights in order to keep their fuel costs at speed up to a level where they can't compete economically with the express, but still giving a slight benefit against using slow freights.

Now, this is a big question, what type of grades are considered mountainous? With the awesome custom maps and good laying technique, 4% sustained grades are quite easy. But, "flat" stretches may have some 2% stretches. This gives a narrow range for engines to excel in climbing abilities, unless as I said above fuel costs is a big factor in keeping them out of the mountains.

Another big question, before any serious testing should begin, what economic levels for fuel cost are desired, for minimum, maximum, and average? How much spread should be allowed?

Once some parameters are determined, some experimentation and testing should be able to come up with a fairly good relationship graph that compares potential adjustments versus economic performance, to come up with a set of values and a general guide for settings on any future locos or personal adjustments that will fit in with the other locos while fulfilling their express/mixed/mountain role.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:I took a look at WP&Ps planner. It's pretty, and the "averaged" curves look good. Those extra heavy freight cars are a bit strange though. If 2 or 3 cars are represented in an era, why only apply that to some of them?
It was a uglier until I revamped it a bit, so I could look at it long enough to to digest the data. ;-)

AFAIK his reasoning on the extra heavy cars was partly to get some freight train weights up towards what they are in real life, and partly to give a greater range of engine choices over the whole roster. The latter is something people generally seem to want, even if they don't care so much about the former. Personally I like the general idea of a greater gap between express and freight largely because it would finally allow dedicated express to be run on grades. At the moment, most dedicated express locos have such abysmal performance on grades that I rarely use them at all unless the terrain is really flat.

Most people use auto consists extensively which is really mixed consists. In my experience it's a difficult task without a haul everything except option to get a seperation in cargoes that a train will haul. New maps could be designed for this and some such as SCBC (for 1.05) are not bad.
SCBC?

Even though I like to experiment, I have never played a whole game with custom consists even in TM. Auto consist is just too useful for delivering consumer cargo to the areas of highest demand stress free. 1.06 haul-at-a-loss, while great for industry supply routes, destroys much of a mixed custom consists ability to remotely mimic the auto feature. My motto is not to compete with what the game is good at. I would think seriously about limiting the maximum spread between the freight cargo weights to a sensible figure. If mainly increasing the way WP&P proposes I would suggest trying to limit same era differences to maybe 25%.
I'm inclined to agree here. Mixed consists definitely are very useful. I'd be reluctant to turn RT3 into a game that's all about micromanaging consists. TBH I find 1.06's haul at a loss ability to be of limited use. I think that really, the same time and effort would have been better spent coding haul-anything-but instead (assuming that was possible).

I'm not currently sure how limited the spread of freight weights should be, but the spreadsheet column for 2005 goes from 65 tons (livestock) to 300 tons (grain), which is quite a large range. This would need testing, but I simply cannot see hauling grain to be profitable at that weight, especially if the route has heavy grades.

Now this could be a good thing in some scenarios. For instance, if you were doing a low carbon scenario like the one I was thinking of a while back, making coal haulage uneconomical purely by weight could be useful. In fact, custom per-scenario .car files that alter weights could be a useful trick for scenario authors if they want greater range of scripting.

OTOH, having grain at 300 tons and rice at 275 tons will probably mean that you simply won't haul them at all, and they're generally the sort of thing you'd want to be hauling in any scenario that has them, so I'm not convinced they should be at those weights by default for all scenarios.

I'm going to throw something else out there: consider a much lower maximum around 100 tons. The important thing is the relationship between trains hauling that weight. So what if a heavy freight car "weighs" 300 or 100 tons, no one sees that figure.

Pros (I can think of right now):
  • - locomotive setting changes, especially weights, pulling power and free weight are going to be more noticeable at the tight end of the scale
    - reliability and fuel cost ratings can be kept in the mid portion of the range where they look good (most are at or above Average and if neccesary a general bump down a level or two for fuel wouldn't be disruptive) giving the scenario creator better options to increase or decrease these settings.
    - A 8 car Big Boy in 1950 (620+640=1260 tons) will burn 150k+ of fuel and 30k new on a decent years work (2 trips at 120k each, a decent average profit IMO).

Best case: profit = 240k-180k = 60k. A poor showing.

- Assuming an average engine weight of 300 tons. An engine with average fuel and reliability stats will perform the same way with WP&Ps average weight in 1950 and the problem will just get rapidly worse after that.
    - The game bug which affects all cargo price events restricts a per-scenario modification of prices which would be necessary before any profit could really be made above the 1260 ton level of the Big Boy.
Good points. By already having some large and uneconomical locos, we've pretty much established the overall train weights above which haulage becomes uneconomical. So really we should be starting there and working backwards, although loco and tender stats tweaks can increase the viable range to some extent.

Come to think of it, this may be a good way of shortening the testing process. It's easier to adjust the weight for one locomotive file than for all the cargo files. We could use this for narrowing down the range of freight weights, since it's the overall train weight that matters.

Cons
  • - Passenger balance might be problematic, car and train weight can be cut very low, but fuel costs and reliability may look unnatural. But, passenger revenues can be adjusted more successfully per scenario.
I think we can work around any passenger balance problems. Same for the visible stats for fuel and reliability. TBH I think the defaults for those often don't make sense anyway.

Mixed engines need an economic reason to discouraging their use for passenger routes. Maybe they need to "technically" be a bit heavier than the mountain loving freights in order to keep their fuel costs at speed up to a level where they can't compete economically with the express, but still giving a slight benefit against using slow freights.
This is going to be the really tricky part, IMO.

Now, this is a big question, what type of grades are considered mountainous? With the awesome custom maps and good laying technique, 4% sustained grades are quite easy. But, "flat" stretches may have some 2% stretches. This gives a narrow range for engines to excel in climbing abilities, unless as I said above fuel costs is a big factor in keeping them out of the mountains.
Well, it's pretty easy to open a map in the editor and apply one of the preset overall height modifiers. So if quick and easy changes to overall grades become desirable it's not hard to arrange. My 2c is that "mountainous" is 5% and upwards with the way the roster is set at the moment. That's only a matter of loco pulling power stats though. You could easily make 1% "mountainous" by changing the loco stats. Some of them already have trouble with1% grades anyway.

I suppose the real catch here is that, AFAIK, the game engine does grades in steps. It only allows integer values for grades, so the greater the range of integer values in the map's grades, the greater the scope for differentiating locos. Pulling power isn't limited to integers so is more flexible.

Another big question, before any serious testing should begin, what economic levels for fuel cost are desired, for minimum, maximum, and average? How much spread should be allowed?
Fuel cost in dollars, or do you mean the visible economy rating? I don't think the latter is too much of a worry since it's only relative to other locos.

Once some parameters are determined, some experimentation and testing should be able to come up with a fairly good relationship graph that compares potential adjustments versus economic performance, to come up with a set of values and a general guide for settings on any future locos or personal adjustments that will fit in with the other locos while fulfilling their express/mixed/mountain role.
Yup. !*th_up*!

PS: Hey I just had another thought. The visible ratings for fuel, etc are only text in the language file (Data/Language/RT3.lng). Those are very simple to change if we decide we want them to say something else. There's no hex editing involved. It's just plain text.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote:SCBC?
South Central British Columbia by John (JSS) Schwarz
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk wrote:South Central British Columbia by John (JSS) Schwarz
Yes, thanks Hawk, that's the one. It's a "beta" but is available in the archives and is on version number 324 or something crazy like. JSS put a ton of work into it. It has limited track building that must be laid on a pre-defined path. These restrictions which give a much more defined win path allow careful strategizing between various options, but probably seem like useless restrictions to others who want to just connect some cities and lay some track yonder and fro. The map is vulnerable to re-hauling tactics, but then again the best attempts at thwarting that are just work-arounds.
Gumboots wrote:Come to think of it, this may be a good way of shortening the testing process. It's easier to adjust the weight for one locomotive file than for all the cargo files. We could use this for narrowing down the range of freight weights, since it's the overall train weight that matters.
Just what I was thinking. !*th_up*! Establishing the fuel burn rates at the various levels for representative train weights will be a good first step in determing what's economically acceptable so there aren't locos like the Big Boy that are currently really useless. I might attempt it when I get a bit more time unless someone else does it first.

For me 6% grades are about the limit of what looks reasonable in the game, with 4% and the occasional 5% being what looks best. My tendency is to run trains that are probably intended for mixed freight traffic over all my network. Cheap purchase cost lures me, and mostly they are the lighter European locos that burn less fuel while having a better economy rating to boot (they are available in most 1.06 North American scenarios). The 4% grades I aim for aren't a real trouble for these mixed freight locos except for a handful that are intended for passenger service (BR 01 after 1900, Mallard, Atlantic, Pacific, Eight Wheeler and maybe a couple others).

I might have one or two routes on the map that I would consdier using an engine that's better for grades. Momentum will get trains up a lot of smaller graded sections. With default stats, I say, if the 6% rating for 8 cars is above 4mph, it'll do the job on 4% grades. 6mph or above on 6% starts getting into my tolerable working range. (Once stats are adjusted I shall change this habit which seems to work best with the current stats.)
Gumboots wrote:Fuel cost in dollars, or do you mean the visible economy rating?
Fuel cost in dollars, but also as a calculation of that train's profit. An average revenue per trip for what is regarded as a long-term viable route (I threw the number 120k city-to-city out there). I should ask the question, What do you regard as a profitable but not super-lucrative long-term route that you seek to run a train on? The more input on this the better. Majority of trains should be designed to run at a slightly decent profit (whether that is 10% of revenue over the long term or whatever).

That's it for now, might be a few days before I can get more time for this.
Gumboots
CEO

Tend to agree about the grades. It starts looking a bit silly over 6%, but I think up to that is fine (bearing in mind we are thinking of changing loco stats anyway). The way I look at it RT3 grades are roughly double real life grades. IRL 3% is about as heavy on a train as 6% is in RT3, more or less, and is generally considered to be the upper limit.

And the express locos having to be useless on reasonable grades is one thing that has always bugged me. Even the old Stirling was commonly operated over 2% ruling grades (which would be 4% in RT3). On 1% ruling grades it was known to handle up to 28 carriages at times, and still stick to the express timetable. For that matter, the 75 mph top speed it has in RT3 is a speed the real thing recorded as an average speed over 15 miles while hauling 16 carriages.

The RT3 version is joke compared to what the locomotive was capable of. It should be capable of hauling an 8 car express consist of the period at 75 mph on perfect terrain. Same goes for a lot of the express locos. I think this is largely due to the difficulty of balancing the game while allowing mixed consists.

Anyway, profit. Depends on the scenario and goals, etc, but generally I think $100k and up is about right for a rough average lower limit.
Gumboots
CEO

I think we have a good starting point for testing this idea. We now know how to separate express, mixed and freight locos by using a customised passenger appeal scale. We have a good idea how fuel economy works, and there's enough scope there providing we stop thinking of loco weight units as actual tons and just use whatever values give the desired result.

For example, changing the Big Boy to make it more profitable is easy. Since loco weight apparently costs three times as much in fuel as the same weight in the consist, knocking 300 weight units off the Big Boy's weight should allow it to haul about 900 weight units of consist (7 D era freight cars + caboose) without burning more fuel than it currently does when not loaded.

Although I don't have an exact algorithm for reliability, I have enough empirical information to give good rules of thumb there. Increasing D era freight weights by 50% will increase a locomotive's breakdown chance by about one third. Starting with a reliability rating of Above Average, increasing that to Good would cut the breakdown chance to 63% of the current value.

If D era freight goes up 50%, a locomotive with Good reliability should have a breakdown chance about 1/6 less than it does with an Above Average rating when hauling current D era freight. So if after some years it's now commonly operating with the breakdown bar showing 25% (which is pretty normal for 7 freight + caboose + 100% oil) that would drop to about 21% even though the consist was 50% heavier. This should allow locomotives to have useful lives of up to 20 years.

Based on all that, I'm thinking that a good starting point for testing would be to boost D era freight weights by 50%. To get greater separation between categories, I also think express weights should be reduced by 25%. This would mean half freight and half express would be the same weight as a current all-freight consist. So the new all freight would be 3x weight, half and half would be 2x, and all express would be 1x. This isn't too far from real life. 600 tons or so is a pretty hefty express consist, but freight can easily get to 1800.

Oh and while I remember: WP&P's spreadsheet only accounts for the cargo weights set in the .cgo files. It neglects the car weights set in the .car files. That means his figures for default freight need to be bumped by 50% to get the real consist weight. So when I'm talking about bumping freight by 50% post-1950, I'm talking about cargo weights 50% higher and car weights 50% higher. In other words, actual consist weights 2.25 times those shown as his default freight curve.

Another thing: although I do like the general idea of using the extra W, X, Y and Z eras, at varying intervals for different freights, to make locomotive upgrades more of a thinking process, what I don't like is how messy and confusing the implementation is. I want to be able to open files any old time and immediately know what the effing things are for. It saves a lot of aggravation.

With that aim in mind, what I'd like to do is rename the eras so they make sense. I want to forget about the default alphabetical crud and use something meaningful. If the eras for each cargo are named according to their start years, the files will make sense. If you are looking at the directory and want to know which file applies for grain in 1957, you'll be able to tell that it's the one that is named Grain_1943, which just happens to be sitting right between Grain_1924 and Grain_1979. This will work. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, so RoR just had a brainwave and proved that the effective consist weight seen by the game's code has nothing to do with the cargo weight set in the .cgo file. That means I am going to have to revise my estimates of consist weight for testing, as there's no point editing files the game won't use.

Since the only files that have any effect on consist weight are the .car files, just as they affect locomotive and tender weight, the only important values for 50% heavier D era freight will be the 60 "ton" values that will be set in the .car files. That means that even for really heavy freight the game will only be reading a total consist weight value of 480 "tons" for a full 8 cars.

Express for the same era will be 20 tons per car for passengers, troops, and mail, or 160 tons for an 8 car consist.

That reminded me of an odd one out: the caboose. This has a D era weight value of 53 tons in the .car file. That's a full 1/3 third greater than a freight car, which makes no sense at all. That reminded me to check another odd one out, namely the dining car. That is also set to 53 tons, which is stupid considering that a dining car would be nowhere near the weight of a loaded freight car.

What I suspect happened is that back when the game was in alpha stage the devs were thinking of using the weights set in the .cgo files as well as the weights set in the .car files, but changed their minds and ended up using just the values from the .car files to simplify processing. This would make sense of the .car values set for the dining car and caboose. Since neither call a .cgo file, if the game did count the values in the .cgo file for other cars that would make the caboose and dining car 66% the weight of an express car or 44% the weight of a freight car. That would make sense. So I think it's safe to assume that the only reason the D era caboose and dining car are set to 53 tons is because somebody forgot to change them during development. This sort of thing happens more often than you might think. ;-)

So as well as changing D era freight .car files to 60 tons and express .car files to 20 tons, I think the D era caboose and dining car should be changed to 20 tons. That would put them at the same weight as an express car, and at 33% the weight of the new freight cars, which seems about right. !*th_up*!

Edit: I just went through all the .car files for the existing cargo cars (default and custom) and figured out what their start and stop years are, as well as their weights.

Code: Select all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
File name       Start==>Hex         Stop===>Hex         Weight=>Hex
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoA.car       1800    08 07       1949    9D 07       18      00 00 90 41
AutoB.car       1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       30      00 00 F0 41

BoxA.car        1800    08 07       1849    39 07        5      00 00 A0 40
BoxB.car        1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
BoxC.car        1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
BoxD.car        1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

CaboA.car       1800    08 07       1850    3A 07        7      00 00 E0 40
CaboB.car       1850    3A 07       1900    6C 07       13      00 00 50 41
CaboC.car       1900    6C 07       1950    9E 07       27      00 00 D8 41
CaboD.car       1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       53      00 00 54 42

WP&P Custom Cars

CcornA.car      1800    08 07       1847    37 07        5      00 00 A0 40
CcornB.car      1848    38 07       1881    59 07        8      00 00 00 41
CcornX.car      1882    5A 07       1921    81 07       17      00 00 88 41
CcornC.car      1922    82 07       1961    A9 07       22      00 00 B0 41
CcornD.car      1962    AA 07       9999    0F 27       50      00 00 48 42

WP&P Custom Cars

CgranA.car      1800    08 07       1846    36 07        5      00 00 A0 40
CgranB.car      1847    37 07       1890    62 07       13      00 00 50 41
CgranX.car      1891    63 07       1920    80 07       25      00 00 C8 41
CgranC.car      1921    81 07       1956    A4 07       35      00 00 0C 42
CgranD.car      1957    A5 07       1984    C0 07       45      00 00 34 42
CgranZ.car      1985    C1 07       9999    0F 27       50      00 00 48 42

ChopA.car       1800    08 07       1849    39 07        5      00 00 A0 40
ChopB.car       1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
ChopC.car       1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
ChopD.car       1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

WP&P Custom Cars

CoachA.car      1800    08 07       1845    35 07        3      00 00 40 40
CoachW.car      1846    36 07       1859    43 07        5      00 00 A0 40
CoachB.car      1860    44 07       1909    75 07       13      00 00 50 41
CoachC.car      1910    76 07       1944    98 07       20      00 00 A0 41
CoachD.car      1945    99 07       1969    B1 07       15      00 00 70 41
CoachZ.car      1970    B2 07       9998    0E 27       18      00 00 90 41

WP&P Custom Cars

DinerA.car      1800    08 07       1844    34 07        7      00 00 E0 40
DinerW.car      1845    35 07       1874    52 07       15      00 00 70 41
DinerB.car      1875    53 07       1909    75 07       25      00 00 C8 41
DinerC.car      1910    76 07       1944    98 07       45      00 00 34 42
DinerD.car      1945    99 07       1969    B1 07       40      00 00 20 42
DinerZ.car      1970    B2 07       9998    0E 27       35      00 00 0C 42

FlatA.car       1800    08 07       1847    37 07        5      00 00 A0 40
FlatB.car       1847    37 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
FlatC.car       1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
FlatD.car       1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

WP&P Custom Cars

FruitA.car      1800    08 07       1849    39 07        5      00 00 A0 40
FruitB.car      1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
FruitC.car      1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
FruitD.car      1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

WP&P Custom Cars??? (check this)

GoodsA.car      1800    08 07       1849    39 07        5      00 00 A0 40
GoodsB.car      1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
GoodsC.car      1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
GoodsD.car      1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

WP&P Custom Cars

HbauxA.car      1800    08 07       1906    72 07       10      00 00 20 41
HbauxB.car      1907    73 07       1930    8A 07       22      00 00 B0 41
HbauxC.car      1931    8B 07       1959    A7 07       30      00 00 F0 41
HbauxD.car      1960    A8 07       9999    0F 27       45      00 00 34 42

WP&P Custom Cars

HcoalA.car      1800    08 07       1845    35 07        8      00 00 00 41
HcoalB.car      1846    36 07       1888    60 07       13      00 00 50 41
HcoalX.car      1889    10 07       1913    79 07       20      00 00 A0 41
HcoalC.car      1914    7A 07       1945    99 07       28      00 00 E0 41
HcoalD.car      1946    9A 07       1967    AF 07       35      00 00 0C 42
HcoalZ.car      1968    B0 07       9999    0F 27       50      00 00 48 42

WP&P Custom Cars

HironA.car      1800    08 07       1840    30 07        5      00 00 A0 40
HironB.car      1841    31 07       1876    54 07       10      00 00 20 41
HironX.car      1877    55 07       1906    72 07       17      00 00 88 41
HironC.car      1907    73 07       1936    90 07       25      00 00 C8 41
HironD.car      1937    91 07       1964    AC 07       35      00 00 0C 42
HironZ.car      1965    AD 07       9999    0F 27       50      00 00 48 42

HopA.car        1800    08 07       1849    39 07        5      00 00 A0 40
HopB.car        1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
HopC.car        1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
HopD.car        1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

MailA.car       1800    08 07       1849    39 07        3      00 00 40 40
MailB.car       1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07        7      00 00 E0 40
MailC.car       1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       13      00 00 50 41
MailD.car       1950    9E 07       9998    0E 27       27      00 00 D8 41

WP&P Custom Cars

MrpoA.car       1800    08 07       1840    30 07        3      00 00 40 40
MrpoW.car       1841    31 07       1863    47 07        6      00 00 C0 40
MrpoB.car       1864    48 07       1893    65 07        9      00 00 10 41
MrpoX.car       1894    66 07       1914    7A 07       15      00 00 70 41
MrpoC.car       1915    7A 07       1944    98 07       20      00 00 A0 41
MrpoD.car       1945    99 07       1974    B6 07       18      00 00 90 41
MrpoZ.car       1975    B7 07       9998    0E 27       20      00 00 A0 41

PassA.car       1800    08 07       1849    39 07        3      00 00 40 40
PassB.car       1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07        7      00 00 E0 40
PassC.car       1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       13      00 00 50 41
PassD.car       1950    9E 07       9998    0E 27       27      00 00 D8 41

PulpA.car       1800    08 07       1847    37 07        5      00 00 A0 40
PulpB.car       1848    38 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
PulpC.car       1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
PulpD.car       1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

RefrA.car       1800    08 07       1849    39 07        5      00 00 A0 40
RefrB.car       1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
RefrC.car       1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
RefrD.car       1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

StockA.car      1800    08 07       1849    39 07        5      00 00 A0 40
StockB.car      1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
StockC.car      1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
StockD.car      1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

TankA.car       1800    08 07       1899    6B 07       10      00 00 20 41
TankB.car       1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       20      00 00 A0 41
TankC.car       1950    9E 07       9999    0F 27       40      00 00 20 42

TroopA.car      1800    08 07       1849    39 07        3      00 00 40 40
TroopB.car      1850    3A 07       1899    6B 07        7      00 00 E0 40
TroopC.car      1900    6C 07       1949    9D 07       13      00 00 50 41
TroopD.car      1950    9E 07       9998    0E 27       27      00 00 D8 41

Just quoting this here so I don't forget:
Gumboots wrote:Since we started getting into this detailed analysis I have thought of one obvious fault with the WP&P cars as they stand. In the early 20th century (roughly 1910 to 1950 IIRC) his express cars are the same weight as most freight cars. This is why I have been having trouble getting the Schools to be a good express hauler, without being able to haul freight like Superman on methedrine. With the way WP&P set car weights, if it's going to be a good express hauler in the 1930's it just has to also be a good freight hauler. This is obviously going to be a problem for game balance, so his cars need complete revision of their stats.
Last edited by Gumboots on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

I've just been through that spreadsheet I attached earlier and highlighted all the proposed cars which I think are too heavy to be practical. This means more than 60 tons in the .car file, or 120 tons in the .cgo file, for freight, and more than 40 tons in the .car file, or 20 tons in the .cgo file, for express. Have also made a note about which files are actually used by the game. New spreadsheet attached.

Edit: Spreadsheet updated.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, I have a little beta pack for testing, if anyone wants to play around with it.

So far I have only edited the cargo car files for the default D era (1950 onwards) and for the D and Z eras for WP&P's custom cargo cars pack. I haven't yet got around to sorting out files for the pre-1950 era. I figure the late era is going to be the most likely to break things, so start testing there.

This pack increases late era freight weights to 60 tons per car (50% increase on the default 40 tons) and decreases late era express weights to 20 tons (25% decrease on the default 27 tons). The caboose and dining car have also been changed to 20 tons to match express car weights, which is a 33 ton decrease for each unit compared to the default weight. This means if you were running both a dining car and a caboose on an express train, that same train will now have a consist 66 tons lighter.

If you want to try all this out, back up your EngineTypes folder first, just so you can easily revert to default later if you want to. The .car files will work whether you have WP&P's cars installed or default cars installed. WP&P's mod uses custom .car files anyway, so they don't conflict with the default files. You can just put the whole lot into your EngineTypes folder without worrying about sorting through them.

Do note that the speed/load/grade stats that show on the beauty shot pop-up use values that are hard coded. That means they will always show the same values regardless of what changes are made to .car files. There's no way of customising those stats, so they will be slightly out with the customised .car files. They will show express speeds that are a bit low, and freight speeds that are a bit high.

This pack also includes edited .lco files for the Class 01 and the Kriegslok, just because I was testing the new passenger appeal scale on the default Italy map. To go with the new passenger appeal scale, customised RT3.lng language files for 1.05 and 1.06 are included.

The passenger appeal stuff is optional. It has no effect on the cargo car weights. If you want to try it out, back up your Language/RT3.lng file first, then substitute the appropriate custom file, and put the custom .lco files into EngineTypes.

Do note that other locomotives that are running the default passenger appeal scale will show "Do not use this value" if they were rated Acceptable on the old scale. This won't affect gameplay though.
Gumboots
CEO

I've been testing this a bit, and as RoR and I figured earlier the maximum practical consist weight is dependent on fuel economy rating and on reliability rating. Too much weight with a low fuel economy rating makes hauling too expensive to bother with, and not enough reliability for the given weight is obviously going to be a nuisance.

AFAICT, the 60 ton D era freight cars are workable with an Above Average rating for reliability and for fuel economy. It's slightly more challenging than the default 40 ton D era cars, but not over the top.

Freight weights could be increased further if the ratings were increased to suit. A rating of Good for reliability and fuel economy would allow freight car weights up to 80 tons. A rating of Very Good for reliability and fuel economy would allow weights up to 120 tons. A rating of Outstanding for reliability and fuel economy would allow weights up to 200 tons. These cases would allow slowly decreasing fuel bills, and slightly fewer breakdowns, as the locomotive ratings increase in lockstep with the freight weights. IOW, the higher ratings would still provide an operational advantage, but not as much as they do with default freight weights.

So, as long as we are prepared to rate locomotives at Outstanding reliability and fuel economy, it should be possible to have freight weights up to 5 times higher than the default D era. How far we want to push it is going to come down to subjective factors. What ratings can we use in a given era, before they start looking ridiculously unrealistic? Do people want lower fuel bills as ratings go up, and do they want fewer breakdowns? Or do we just push weights to the limit and accept fuel bills and breakdowns staying pretty much constant as freight weights and locomotive ratings increase? Or somewhere in the middle, with perhaps a maximum freight weight of 4 times the default?
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:I took a look at WP&Ps planner. It's pretty, and the "averaged" curves look good. Those extra heavy freight cars are a bit strange though. If 2 or 3 cars are represented in an era, why only apply that to some of them?

Been thinking about this some more. So originally WP&P was thinking that having the large spread of freight weights would be a way of giving a lot of people what they want, namely a reason to use a wider range of locomotives. If late era grain is 150 tons (300 tons .cgo file on WP&P's spreadsheet) and livestock is only 32 tons (65 tons .cgo), it would make sense to pay attention to what you were hauling and select a loco on that basis. With livestock presumably being a cargo you want to ship faster anyway (I assume it has a faster rot time) you'd go for a faster loco with less pulling power.

There is some scope for balancing all of this. If the heavier cargoes are basically drag freight we could tie freight loco pulling power, fuel economy and reliability ratings to top speed, so a drag freight loco wouldn't have enough top speed to compete on mixed or express. Taking the Big Boy as the obvious example for the US, although theoretically capable of doing 80 mph it was usually operated well below 60 mph. So on that basis we could set top speed to somewhere in its usual operating range rather than its hypothetical maximum. 50 mph would be a reasonable starting point. It's fast enough to be useful, but slow enough to limit the range of applications. Free weight and pulling power could be adjusted so that useful speed was maintained even with a full consist.

If we compensate by by adjusting the fuel economy rating to keep haulage of drag freight economically viable, this would also mean no need to drastically cut the weight of drag freight locos. The better fuel economy rating that would allow them to haul really heavy freights would also allow the locomotive itself to be exceptionally heavy. It'd also make sense to tie in purchase price incentives. If it's going to have twice the hauling power, it should probably cost twice as much to buy.

Anyway, WP&P's idea of some freights being up to 5x the weight of the lightest freights may be over the top, but we could probably accommodate some freight weights being up to 2x the lightest, or at least 1.5x. Since up to 120 tons is feasible with Very Good ratings, and since 60 tons is feasible with Above Average ratings, offhand I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to have late era freight weights ranging from 60 to 120 tons.
Gumboots
CEO

Just did a bit more playing around with the spreadsheet. After thinking that maybe I should see what it looks like if I took the maximum freight weights as high as was reasonably possible with good ratings, I grabbed WP&P's original and did the minimum to start making it practical. That basically means no freight cars over 120 tons at any time, and I figured it made sense to not have anything over 60 tons between WW1 and WW2.

So after knocking those lumps down to fit my limits, I then had to change some of the intermediate weights to get them to make more sense with the 60/120 stuff. Did a bit of that, then started looking at maximum differences between weights at any time, and how the average related to the default weights.

It's still a bit all over the place IMO. For a start, I have no idea why he has grain and rice trains weighting in far heavier than iron ore and coal trains. It could possibly be that he looked up train weights out in Kansas where it's flat, and found grain trains there were usually heavier than coal trains that had to haul out of the Appalachians. That's fine if you're only looking that far, but makes no sense in other contexts. The iron ore trains that come out of the Pilbara are massive.

Anyway, as an unpredictable thing to really wind up people who are trying to decide what loco to get, the original spreadsheet is great. As the basis for a relatively sane game that most people could handle I think it's too much. It needs some taming so that it's not trying to bite people's heads off unexpectedly. !#2bits#!
Last edited by Gumboots on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Crap. I just realised something. ^**lylgh

Pushing freight weights as high as we can get away with is counterproductive. The whole point of changing the weights at all is to get a clearer split between express, mixed and freight consists, along with some variation in freight weights to broaden the usable range of freight locos. This really means that freight weights should only be pushed high enough to make the split to mixed and express clear. Anything more than that is only going to restrict which fuel and reliability ratings can be used, meaning less variation in usable locos, without adding any extra depth to gameplay.

The only reason for pushing late era freights weights to the maximum possible would be to deliberately force people to upgrade older locomotives by making their fuel and reliability ratings too low to handle later freights. I'm not sure this is useful or desirable.

So freights should still go up to some extent, mainly to get a better range of single figure weights in the pre-1850 era, but as a general principle it'd be more useful to reduce express weights rather than increasing freight weights. Once the loco stats are revised it won't matter which way it's done as far as speed and grade climbing go. *!*!*!
RulerofRails
CEO

I agree. The relationship is the thing to change. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Right, so since default PopTop A era stats are 5 tons for freight and 3 tons for express, an obvious starting point is to set express down to 2 tons and freight up to 6 tons. That will give a 50/50 consist averaging 4 tons, which is exactly what it would average with default stats, but provides a much more distinct gap between dedicated express and dedicated freight.

A 20% increase in freight weights is sure to be workable with existing fuel and reliability ratings, since I've previously tested a 50% increase and found that workable (albeit a bit more challenging). So perhaps have variations down to 5 tons (+0%) for lighter premium freights like produce and milk, and up to 8 tons (+60%) for heavier drag freights like coal and iron. A +60% consist should pretty much push current freight loco stats to their practical limits. This would give a spread in freight weights of 60%, looking at the fractions one way, or 37.5% if you look at the fractions the other way. This is probably enough to get any result we're likely to want. It also happens to be close to real life variations in modern freight loads per car, or more accurately in freight loads per axle, as far as I can tell from a quick look around.

The change in express weights would mean that express locos with current stats would haul 8 cars at roughly the same speed that they now haul 5 cars, with no change in fuel costs or reliability. That should give more consistent profits for dedicated express.

Extending this to the D era, and assuming the default progression of weights over time, would give a freight maximum of 64 tons. That maximum is just workable with an Above Average rating on fuel and reliability and a fairly lightweight locomotive. So perhaps push post-1970 freight to 80 tons, given that modern locomotives really do have better reliability and fuel consumption than pre-war locos, but probably no benefit in going higher than that. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Had another crack at this, setting A era express to the minimum of 1 tons and scaling other weights from there. This would definitely be workable as long as pulling power and free weight stats were edited to suit (to stop every loco leaping tall buildings in a single bound).

Average freight weights pretty much track default freight weights, allowing for there being extra intermediate eras that smooth things out in the custom scheme. Maximum freight weights are still workable, without going to extremes for fuel economy and reliability ratings.

We may not want to smooth things too much. For example, superheaters were introduced in the early 20th century and resulted in a marked improvement in locomotive performance, with increased consist weights to take advantage of this.

This was just a quick look at the sheet, based on dropping A era express to 1 ton and multiplying all freight weights by 0.6. Seems to be about right for a starting point.
Last edited by Gumboots on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, this is getting close. !*th_up*!

I re-plotted the graph so I had more info on it, and played around with stuff until I got the mixed consist line pretty much tracking the light freight line. I think this is about where things ought to be for basic mixed consist locos. IMO they should be able to handle the lighter freights as pure freight consists, or a mix of any freights and express. The graph shows a 50/50 split for freight/express.

I gave the express cars a bit of a bump in weight later in the 20th century. This is not technically correct for real express trains, but will give us a bit more of a balancing factor for different locos later on.

I've also done some more on grouping cargoes for rot times and weight, and on bunching them together for what general sort of thing they are. Have also included some nods to history, like aluminium and steel going up at the start of WW2. This should be easy to remember. Aluminium and diesel come in later than oil and steel, but ramp up fast. That's realistic, and should be easy to remember too. The jumps in weight are nowhere near as severe as the default doubling every 50 years anyway, so it's not like your Chattanooga cho-choo is suddenly going to get hit with an asteroid strike.

I think this, or something close to it, will work well. This is about where we need to nail down the extreme cases for locomotive stats and see how everything fits together. If some figures need changing in the spreadsheet that's easy enough, but we need loco data to know what changes (if any) are required).
Gumboots
CEO

Hey RoR, have you any preliminary thoughts about the proposed cargo weights in this spreadsheet? There are going to be several hundred .car files to edit, so before starting I figure I should ask if anyone has noticed possible problems.