Conductor's duties

Historical topics from around the world.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Conductor's duties Unread post

This was a post by Gwizz on the Terminal web site, and it does add to the duties of the Conductor.

Freight trains also had Conductors. (I had only mentioned in my post of "Livelihoods of Trainmen Occupations" as that of the "Duties of Conductor Passengers Trains".)

Conductors were in charge of the train he was assigned, and had to keep track of when other trains were on the line, to prevent 'corn field meets' (crashes). the train needed to safely bring the empty cars to where cargo was waiting for a car along the line.

If I (Gwizz) remember correctly, the Conductor earned the highest pay on a train except:
for yard engine, where the Yard Master was in charge of switching operations in-and-around a large yard.

In modern times, the Conductor became a Yard Master, and had a desk and a radio phone in a building to keep track of many trains and a team to help him.

In the old days, the caboose was the Conductor's office. It is no longer needed.

>>>>>>>>>>>
(Actually, now days, the rolling stock has 'Timkin Roller Bearing', which do not require the "oiling of the waste" in the journals for lubrications, the materials falling away from the axles, and hence less smoke or fires caused by overheated wheel axles. Today Conductors or Brakemen now ride in the engine cab of the diesels.) ::!**!
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Re: Conductor's duties Unread post

Is the conductor a man who waves a flag/torchlights to the engineers to the front?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xf9CTEG5hE
RayofSunshine
CEO

That is highly possible Lone Cat, of a "flag" or "lantern" being waved by a Conductor to signal the Engineer. He is basically the "conductor" and responsible for the train movements. In days gone by, the conductor and a brakeman rode in the caboose, both eventually riding in the "cupalo" (?) to watch for any sign of problems with the train.

Now the selected "movie" which pops up on that web site, is a "thourgh" coverage of many occupations which take part in the transportation of the train. Very much complete. I believe that many of the "right side" documentaries would be very interesting as well. Will get to them at some future date.

The personnel working in and around the "yards", although do much of the jobs which could be termed as that of a "brakeman" were or are called "switchmen". Their duties are to "tag along" with the engine/train, which is being made up in the yard. Coupling, uncoupling, throwing switches, etc. They like a conductor control the move ment of the engine with their "flaging" or "high balling".

Thanks for the web site, as I find it another facet of interest. :salute: {,0,}
Marnox
Cat

I work as a traincoductor in Norway so here is a few sentences on modern norwegian railway operations. NSB - Norges statsbaner - Norwegian state railway.

To become a conductor in Norway there is a 7 month learning programme. To become a train driver it is close to 2 year programme.
Two stripes: Signifies you have completed the 7 months program to learn all about safey, service and how the railway works.
Three stripes: Same as two stripes, but it means you are a leader or ticket inspector.

Train Personnel:
The driver - responsible for the train and maintance while on duty. Has two white stripes.
Chief conductor - responsible for the passengers safety, service to the passengers like tickets etc. and maintaining schedual off the train. Has two white stripes and another blue ribbon in his hat when on Chief duty.
Conductor assistant - assisting the Chief conductor in various tasks. Has two stripes. Any conductor can be assigned Chief duty, it all depends on your assignment of the day.
Ticket inspectors - personell that only checks tickets, mostely seen in the local traffic where there are different types of passenger cars that have specific rules.
Service assistant - no stripes. Personell with minimum safety and railway understanding. Can help with tickets and operate the restaurant car.
Leader - Three stripes, the boss of the train personnel. Usually sits in an office at one of the main trainstations. Not that often seen on trains, only when inspecting an employee.

Sadly, these days the only interaction visually train personnel have with station personnel is with a TXP. Train Expeditionary Person. He has two stripes and a red ribbon on his hat.
If the train can depart the TXP gives signal to the Chief conductor. Visually it is a white round sign with a green circle(day) or a green lamp (night). As the Chief I respond with lifting my arm (day) or a white light (night).
It is the drivers and the Chiefs duty to look at the signal at the station. When the driver has recieved clearance to depart he will light the lamp on the side of the train. When I see that signal I can depart the train.
To signal departure to the train driver I usually wave a green flag or green light in a circle, but sadly in these modern times we are actually encouraged to use oral commands over the phone.

On board my tasks are trying to give good service to the passengers and check their tickets. Depending on where you are and what type of train you are on there are various different rules.
Hopefully this was useful, if not, sorry! :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Marnox wrote: Hopefully this was useful, if not, sorry! :-)
No need to apologize. Your post was very interesting and informative. !$th_u$!
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Handy to know if anyone wants to skin up Norwegian trains. !*th_up*!