Soviet Era Diesel

Historical topics from around the world.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Soviet Era Diesel Unread post

I was panning through my old laptop's hard drive looking for 3D models of locomotives and ran across JPGs of these gems.

A diesel express on the Leningrad-Moscow route, 1952.
Russian Diesel train Moscow Leningrad 1952.jpg
A diesel express on the Leningrad-Moscow route, 1957.
Russian Diesel train Moscow Leningrad 1957.jpg
Both have a decidedly Soviet retro look and represent oddities in a system that was strongly biased toward electric.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Soviet Era Diesel Unread post

The blue one is a nice-looking unit. Pity I don't do diesel. They'd be much easier to model and skin than the average steamer.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

Agreed, the blue livery set is my sweetheart of the pair.

For the longest time, I thought they were both electrics because of the wires. Then I found a site with more information and was surprised to find out they were indeed diesels. I felt a sort of sagging feeling when I found out. I'd modeled them both, but at the time had no idea how to get them into RT3. Now, seven years later, I am on a bug hunt trying to find my model files >_<
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
RulerofRails
CEO

Hope you find them. A taste of what might have been without so much bureaucracy.