Cab forward and backward, tank locomotive.

Historical topics from around the world.
Gumboots
CEO

Cab forward and backward, tank locomotive. Unread post

Just found this, and thought it was interesting.

The (German) Wiki page for it is here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preu%C3%9 ... Versuch%29

Preußische T 16 (Versuch) just means Prussian T 16 (Experimental). It's a dual cab locomotive, but it's from 1904 and it's a steamer. It'd be the only one ever built with that configuration, as far as I know.

It was built when practical superheating for locomotives was in its very early stages. The Germans and Austrians used a lot of compound four cylinder locos before superheating, and generally used two or three cylinders with simple expansion once superheaters were established. This one has early superheaters, but is still a four cylinder compound.

Built for hauling over passenger trains over grades, and obviously to run in either direction due to the lack of turntables up in them thar hills. Anyway it all worked, except that they'd designed it with a 20 ton axle load, which was too much for the line it was used on. *!*!*!

Detailed model picture...
s-l1600-3.jpg
Just for my own reference, I translated the complete text of the article about this unit from the 1904 edition of Die Lokomotive. If anyone feels like reading it, the English version is attached below.
Attachments
Die_Lokomotive_1904.txt
(13.14 KiB) Downloaded 265 times