Debug Menu

Stop by here for help with RRT3 Editor problems and tips.
Blackhawk
CEO

Debug Menu Unread post

I'm not sure if this has come up elsewhere but when using the debug menu there are a few interesting things:

1. You can export or import the text from a map into a text based .lng file. The text can then be translated and imported back into the scenario. Maybe that's how Sugus and others have translated maps? If so I never realized it could be done that way.

2. There is an option to compress the saved maps and games. If the compression for saving maps is turned off, perhaps the issue with colors bleeding and becoming distorted after multiple saves would be improved?
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Debug Menu Unread post

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That second one is worth a shot. May or may not work, but definitely worth trying. It's exactly the sort of thing they would have needed while doing the dev work on the default maps.
Tomix
Brakeman

There is a debug menu? Interesting, how does one access this menu?
Blackhawk
CEO

I see you found the thread that mentioned how to reach the debug menu already.

For reference I'll post that thread here anyway: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3620&start=120#p35984
Gumboots
CEO

Just in case it gets missed in the other thread:
Gumboots wrote:Yeah I got it to work with the shortcut. I'd borked the syntax before. It needs the space between the last " and the -d. However, even though it would open the game once that was sorted I still couldn't see any debug menus. It just looked like the standard game. I must be missing something. **!!!**
Blackhawk
CEO

And I missed it !facepalm!

Be sure to be running the game in windowed mode rather than full screen, and as far as I know the debug menu only works with the .exe for 1.06 and TM.
Gumboots
CEO

Aha! I had the windowed mode but was trying it with 1.05. It works just fine with 1.06. Thanks. !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Just ran some quick tests with the save map compression disabled. It does seem to reduce the problem with bleeding around rivers, but doesn't eliminate it entirely. The problem of oceans bleeding onto land doesn't seem to be affected either way. This is with W7 64 bit.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Gumboots wrote:Just ran some quick tests with the save map compression disabled. It does seem to reduce the problem with bleeding around rivers, but doesn't eliminate it entirely. The problem of oceans bleeding onto land doesn't seem to be affected either way. This is with W7 64 bit.
I submitted something a year or so ago about 64-bit maps losing detail when saved. It was a tutorial on how to replace the color overlay when the bitmap gets downsized by a 64-bit OS.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I submitted something a year or so ago about 64-bit maps losing detail when saved. It was a tutorial on how to replace the color overlay when the bitmap gets downsized by a 64-bit OS.
Is this something in the archives or is the info in a post somewhere in the forums?
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I think this may be the thread/post Wolverine is referencing: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2717&start=60#p27944 It's been so long, I forgot that was even posted.
Gumboots
CEO

I've seen that before but haven't tried it yet. TBH the degradation problem is one of the main things that stops me making maps. I like to do a job once and do it right. If an app is trying the screw that up all the time I'd rather work with something else, so if there's a way around the degradation problem that works consistently and with no limts on editing, that would be very useful.

The problem is that to be really useful it would need to allow unlimited editing and saving in the RT3 editor without degradation, because really that's the only way to make new maps, and I don't know if that is possible.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote:The problem is that to be really useful it would need to allow unlimited editing and saving in the RT3 editor without degradation, because really that's the only way to make new maps, and I don't know if that is possible.
You could try holding off on any terrain painting until after all events and testing are done.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It's rivers and oceans that are the big problem. They're tricky because they change how cargo flows. Also you can put an ocean straight on from a DEM and it will work really well, but if you set that back to land and then try to put it back to ocean later it makes a mess of the coastline anyway. Short version: the editor is borked. :mrgreen:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote:Short version: the editor is borked. :mrgreen:
Well fix it then. ^**lylgh
Hawk