Would you like me to translate italian maps?

Stop by here for help with RRT3 Editor problems and tips.
frk
Hobo

Would you like me to translate italian maps? Unread post

I saw a few maps in the archive that have only italian language. Would you like me to tranlsate them in english for the map archive?

I only have some questions about it, as i've no experience in map creation/editing:

- should I have to translate only briefing + events messages or there's something I'm missing?
- should i have to translate cities/region names too (Milano -> Milan an so on)?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Would you like me to translate italian maps? Unread post

Which ones are Italian only? I thought they all had English versions.
Hawk
frk
Hobo

Well, i started to work on "Attraversando le Alpi"... but if there is already an english version, tell me, so i stop...

Actually, i see also "Italia e Mediterraneo" and "Viva la France" wich have only italian briefing, and "Nord est Grande" has Italian and German but no english.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yes, if you want to translate them into English, that would be good. I don't know of English versions for any of those maps.
I wouldn't worry to much about the city, region and territory names. There's probably not a lot of difference in city and territory names and region names don't really play into gameplay as such, unless of course you just want to. :mrgreen:
Just the message, briefing and such.

When you get them finished, see this post about submitting them - viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2824 - unless you want to attach them to a post for beta testing for spelling issues.
Hawk
frk
Hobo

Thanks Hawk, i think it will be better to post the map for a brief revision, cause my english, as you can see from my posts, is far from perfect :mrgreen:

I'll let you know when i'm done.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You're English is better than some English speakers I know. !*th_up*! The only issue I saw with your posts is capitalization, which most folks don't care about these days anyway, or maybe hitting the Caps key is just too much trouble. **!!!**
Hawk
frk
Hobo

Actually, my problems with capitalization come from a bias deriving from my mother language: in italian capital letters are only used after a dot or for names. The pronoun "io" doesn't need capital (unless it is right after a dot) and for this reason I tend to write "i" instead of "I"... writing "I" with capital seems to me like a presumption... if i write "Io" with capital in the middle of an italian phrase, readers would tell me "Who do you think you are? A monarch?" :lol:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's interesting. I didn't know that. That helps explain a lot. :salute:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Amazing what you can learn with playing with toy trains. :-D We'll end up being qualified linguists.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote:We'll end up being qualified linguists.
I have enough trouble with the English language. I don't need to complicate my old brain with more linguistisives. ^**lylgh
Hawk
frk
Hobo

I imagine that english speaking people are less motivated in learning other languages cause they already know the most important one.

Anyway, I think I'm done with the first map, I attach it to this post...

For sure I made some mistake/inattention, feel free to correct them if you like, or just to advise me !*th_up*!
Attachments
Attraversando le Alpi [ENG].rar
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

What would the name of the map be in English?
Hawk
frk
Hobo

Sorry, I kept the original name to let you identify the original map, as I see in archive that multilingual map has only one name but several briefings.

Anyway, the name would be "Passing the Alps" or "Crossing the Alps" (don't know wich is better suited).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

There's quite a few tat have multilingual names, like these from the North America section - Page 1.
Maps.jpg
Hawk
frk
Hobo

Sorry, didn't see them :oops:

Next time I'll translate also the name. ;-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

No problem. Just trying to help. :salute:
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

frk wrote:Anyway, the name would be "Passing the Alps" or "Crossing the Alps" (don't know wich is better suited).
I'm sure you remember that a campaign scenario is titled "Crossing the Alps". This map seems to be somewhat of an upgrade to that campaign map with new cities and different goals. Didn't check it, but I would say 90% chance that the seeding on the map was improved also. The default maps can use better seeding for sure. I loaded the map up and glanced through the text, but didn't look at it critically. Thanks for your translation efforts!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

One thing I will point out for your benefit, in American dollars, the dollar sign goes at the beginning of the numbers.
In all the Nuova stazione events, the display text says
200$ from this city's mayor for connecting it to railway network!
That should read
$200K from this city's mayor for connecting it to railway network!
Also, the events award $200,000 dollars, which is represented in RT3 as $200K - K being the designation from Roman Numerals for thousands.

This should help you in future translations. :salute:

I'll fix it in this map for you.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I changed the dialog for events for Nuova stazione events 3 through 10 from this
200$ from this city's mayor for connecting it to railway network!
to this
$200K awarded to [Company Name] from this city's mayor for connecting it to railway network!
I changed Nuova stazione event 2 from this
300$ from this city's mayor for connecting it to railway network! In particular cause these are the first two cities of the whole network!
to this
$300K awarded to [Company Name] & $500K awarded to [Player Name] from this city's mayor for connecting it to railway network! In particular because these are the first two cities of the whole network!
Engine pulling power increased by 30% & electric track cost reduced by 50% for 1 year
I also renamed the map to Crossing the Alps II. I've attached it in case others find something else to that may need adjusting.
Attachments
Crossing_the_Alps_II.zip
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 241 times
Hawk
frk
Hobo

Thanks for all your corrections and suggestions... didn't want to cause you more work to do! :mrgreen:

Thanks also to Ruler: I use to play RT3 occasionally, and I tend to forget maps I have already played :oops:

Wanna laugh? I can't get used to use capital letter for "I"... I have to correct every message before (or after) I post it. **!!!**