What is Special Date Offset?

Stop by here for help with RRT3 Editor problems and tips.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

What is Special Date Offset? Unread post

I was about to use Slow Date on a scenario, but noticed this:
DateOffset-1.jpg
What (if anything) does Special Date Offset do?
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: What is Special Date Offset? Unread post

Sorry, I have never used this so can't help you. Somebody (Earth calling OilCan) will know.
RulerofRails
CEO

Apologies to Oilcan for jumping in, but the Special Date Offset has an explanation in-game:
Slow date offset.jpg
Each game has 28 days, so December 28 will be at offset 335.
Just Crazy Jim
Dispatcher

RulerofRails wrote:Apologies to Oilcan for jumping in, but the Special Date Offset has an explanation in-game:
Slow date offset.jpg
Each game (month?) has 28 days, so December 28 will be at offset 335.
Thank you for that. Oddly, my install didn't provide that information on-screen. Probably didn't put the mouse in the right place.

I've been experimenting with the slow date and it seems... well... less than perfect. The game still counts years for the ledger as if it is still in normal dating. The chief difference is (I'm guessing) the ledger doesn't pop-up unless the slow date year changes. After seeing that the ledger carries normal dating, I didn't play with it enough to see if the slow date year actually has any effect on Era models for consist wagons or engine availability.
"We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own."
-- François de La Rochefoucauld. Réflexions ou sentences et maximes morales. 1665.
RulerofRails
CEO

Yes, I meant "month". !facepalm!

The in-game message only appears when you place your cursor over the box provided to enter the value. Watch out for info like this in other places, even in the ledger.

I feel that slow date is sort of an added-on beta feature. Adjustments are needed to compensate. Since you are doing a special scenario where you have to make other adjustments already, I agree it's much easier/better to leave this alone.