Making 1.06.1: any interest?

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Making 1.06.1: any interest? Unread post

My 2c is to just go with standard software patch notation for the official name and call it 1.06.01 or something similar. Of course, if we want a nifty unofficial code name for it so we can pretend to be uber-kewl while we're working on it we can have that too. (0!!0)

ETA: Or if standard patch notation is too clinical I'd suggest something like "1.06 Bugfix patch".
Gumboots
CEO

Stoker wrote:Also, we need input regarding anything that other folks are interested in seeing fixed or added, and of course anybody who has any skills to contribute would be welcome as well. * well almost anybody. Personalities must be considered of course, and Gumboots and I are both fairly rough in this regard, so those that are easily offended and such might not enjoy dealing with the two of us for any length of time. :roll:
^**lylgh Just saw that addition to your post. True. I think the key will be for everyone to make an assumption of lack of malice on anyone else's part. TBH I do find myself having to walk on eggshells here to some extent. I'm used to language and behaviour that seems normal for myself and the people I usually hang out with, but apparently is far from normal for some other people. Part of this is probably down to local culture too, since there are words used commonly over here, even in mainstream advertising campaigns on prime time TV, which would not be allowed on this forum.
Stoker
Engineer

I kind of like the ring of "1.06 Bugfix patch". The little patch to swap out the warehouse placemarker buildings in 1.06 I called a "Bandaid", because it did not make any actual changes, but just swapped out some buildings and was completely forward and backwards compatible with 1.06. Something to consider is that this patch will not be forward compatible, i.e. a map made using the fixes will not be playable in an original 1.06 install, but all (or darned near all) scenario's made in original 1.06 (or earlier versions) will be playable with the new patch.

Yes, Hawk is pretty strict about the language and treatment of forum member's on his forum. Not saying that is a bad thing, but anybody who has been around here for a while knows the learning curve I went through regarding this... *!*!*!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

Oh I'm not saying it's bad. Deary me, no. Never would I be so heinous as to even contemplate suggesting such a thing. Totally angelic, that's me. !*th_up*!

(and I think you meant "not backward compatible")
Blackhawk
CEO

I'd go with something like 1.06.1 Revised Edition.
Gumboots
CEO

Codename Steampunk. :mrgreen:
Stoker
Engineer

Regarding the backwards/forwards compatibility: This get's confusing to try to nail down the exact term. I look at it this way. Being "backwards compatible" means that it will run scenario's that were made in earlier versions, and forwards compatible means that scenarios made with the patch would be playable in previous versions ( not meaning that it would be forward compatible to be played in a new patch, mod, or such), which in this case they will not be (unless a scenario was made without including any of the new assets). These things will have to be spelled out concisely in the "Read Me" notation for the patch to make sure people understand what will work with what.

I kinda like the Steampunk codename. Maybe it's the image of sexy women with Victorian dresses and brass eye- gadgets on that pops into my mind when I hear "Steampunk".... :-)

Now boarding for the Steampunk express. (0!!0)

Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

(0!!0)
Gumboots
CEO

Anyway, back on topic, I think "1.06.01 Bugfix Patch" should do for this one. It's clear, and it leaves open the option of a 1.06.02 if it turns out we missed something after people have kicked it around for a year or two.

Steampunk can be the currently hypothetical no (or minimal) diesel and electric mod that doesn't worry so much about breaking things. !*th_up*!
Stoker
Engineer

One thing we might want to avoid is making folks think that the patch will somehow be a "Steampunk Mod" for RT3, rather than just a straight-up patch to fix some issues. As long as the codename stays in the forum and the patch and download just has the 1.06.1 (or whatever name is decided upon) this should be ok. Another thing to watch out for would be posting risque pics here, I may have opened up a can of worms. A really easy on the eyes can-of-worms perhaps.... That girl on the right in that pic Gumboots posted has quite the tanker car consist and some serious Orca styling to her caboose, are you sure you want to get rid of the Orca now? 8-)

P.S: The dork with the moped helmet on has no business being in the same picture as the Steampunk attired (well, sort of) girls, especially the one with the Orca styled caboose.
Last edited by Stoker on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

Yes she is rather spectacular, but quite safe in her current guise AFAICT. It may be wise to draw a line under the whole thing somewhere about here though.
Stoker
Engineer

Back to work Tycoonies!

Edmund Burke
Stoker
Engineer

Something else that I think could be included in this patch is some modified sounds. I had changed some of the annoying sounds in RT3 on an old installation, but these are now gone. Doing this over is not all that big of a deal, I have the sound editors and skill to use them, so just reducing the volume on some of the more annoying ones like the high altitude swoosh sound and arrival "ching" is not a big project, it will probably take longer to extract and repack these than modifying them will. . If anybody has suggestions for any sounds they would like to see toned down, changed, or eliminated please let us know so they can be included in this patch.

Edmund Burke
Gumboots
CEO

Oh yeah that high altitude one bugs a lot of people, including me. Really ear-piercing, and not in a steampunk/goth girl way. You'd defo get some votes for killing that sound. !*th_up*!

The ka-ching doesn't bother me so much because I usually crank the sound down a bit anyway, but if it was moderated that certainly wouldn't hurt. Offhand, I can't think of any others that are really annoying. Those two are the worst ones.
Blackhawk
CEO

The high altitude sound is the only sound I can think of that bothers me. I suppose maybe the jet plane but that one is seems rare, or maybe its just harder to hear over all that whooshing wind noise.
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Maybe add some more whistles and horns. It get's annoying hearing the same 5 or so every time a train leaves the station.
Stoker
Engineer

AdmiralHalsey wrote:Maybe add some more whistles and horns. It get's annoying hearing the same 5 or so every time a train leaves the station.
I will look into it, although I do not know what the limit of randomly called sounds is or how that is controlled exactly. If it appears to be easy I will consider it, but I suspect that adding extra randomly called sounds might be beyond what we are aiming for with this patch.

Edmund Burke
RulerofRails
CEO

Gumboots wrote:Oh yeah that high altitude one bugs a lot of people, including me. Really ear-piercing, and not in a steampunk/goth girl way. You'd defo get some votes for killing that sound. !*th_up*!

The ka-ching doesn't bother me so much because I usually crank the sound down a bit anyway, but if it was moderated that certainly wouldn't hurt. Offhand, I can't think of any others that are really annoying. Those two are the worst ones.
!*th_up*! I normally play with the sound off because I got tired of those default sounds especially the whoosh when sweeping my maps for new industry (do it a lot). Also the "ka-ching" gets annoying when I get a large network.

BTW, I noticed while poking around in the files in the RT3 folders that there is a text file called "airplane types". It mentions a MiG31A and a BlueThunder with a start date of 9999. I have never unpacked any of the files, and I assuming that this text file is not read by the program (ie. changing start dates will not affect what occurs in the program)??? I don't mind the planes because they don't appear very often in games, but I support an effort to turn the jet noise down if it proves too loud without wind noise.
Stoker
Engineer

Speaking of odd aircraft, one of the weird assets I know of that I have no idea why it is there is the Tiger Tank. I have no clue why that is included, but there is a full 3d model and all of the associated files to make it function.

Edmund Burke
RulerofRails
CEO

Stoker wrote:Speaking of odd aircraft, one of the weird assets I know of that I have no idea why it is there is the Tiger Tank. I have no clue why that is included, but there is a full 3d model and all of the associated files to make it function.
Any idea how to make it appear in the game? My curiosity again. What about aircraft, is there some way to make one appear?