Making 1.06.1: any interest?

Questions and comments specific to Version 1.06
Stoker
Engineer

Re: Making 1.06.1: any interest? Unread post

I might send that link for the wheel to my dad, he likes some racing games and plays them with arrow keys...

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wheels give you so much more control than the keyboard. Even a mouse gives better control than a keyboard, given that the game allows mouse control.
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

I saw Hawk mention 18 wheels and for a moment I got it confused with big rigs over the road racing.(I used to own that game before. It's actually quite fun because of the sheer and utter glitchyness of it._
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk, good luck with your 18 Wheels map. I once played a trial. It was fun, but it didn't get me hooked. I have also tried Rig'n'Roll. It is a bit buggy, but I got a couple of days enjoyment out of it. Just doesn't engage me like tycoon does.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

My main enjoyment is map modding. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Had a thought about file/directory changes. First up, the game doesn't care what PK4's are called. It only cares about what's inside them. Names are important for most files but not for PK4's. This means that if we want to rename some stuff in the front end there's no problem with renaming existing 1.06 PK4's for consistency. I'm thinking of things like the G4 that was renamed to G3 in the game by Lirio. First time I looked at the 1.06 directory I didn't know what all the files were, so it took me a bit of headscratching before it clicked that I should be extracting the contents of the g4 PK4 if I wanted stuff for the G3.

The only problem might be if we give people a replacement pack that has renamed PK4's and they don't delete the old one. That could lead to conflicts, but should be avoidable if instructions are provided (subject to the usual stipulations about refraining from building better idiots).

So instructions then. It occurred to me that since we are planning on documenting anything that really needs it, what we ought to do is throw a good readme into the directories too. My preference would be to just use basic .txt for this rather than anything fancier. This wont bother the game at all since it'll just ignore any .txt files, and will have the advantage of docs being available right when and where they are needed instead of being stashed somewhere else.

We can't rename .lco and .car files if we want to retain backwards compat with existing 1.06 scenarios, but again a readme in EngineTypes could take care of any consistency issues if we rename other files. This would make things easier for anyone new to modding.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This thread has pretty much run it's course.
Further discussion on the actual work can be found in the RT3 Patch Makers board, in these two topics.

Cargo & Industry fixes for 1.06

Locomotive fixes for 1.06
Hawk